hookmeup

Jigging for seabass: hook position and type

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I really enjoy jig fishing. 

I see people using assist hooks on some jigs. What’s the advantage? Better hook up rate, less snagging?

Also, I’ve avoided using treble hooks because of snagging risk. What about cutting off one of the trebles? I’ll try this but I thought you guys might already know. 

thanks in advance. 

I like single hooks for ease of getting the fish off. I'm not sure, but I don't think cutting off 2 hooks of a treble is as good as a single hook.

I am no expert but I just keep it simple. 

Ava single hook jig with a dropper 20 or so inches above that with a octopus hook and a 3 inch or so gulp curly tail.

I  get plenty like that.

why woud you cut a treble hook ? when you can get single hooks.

Like KML said SIMPLE that rig that KML described works well, use a stone to keep the jig hook sharp. The gulp sand eel tipped on the jig and or octopus hook work well too.

good luck have fun

I either take the treble out and add another assist hook or I’ll just leave it alone after I take the treble out. Always fishing with either double or triple assist hooks on my jigs. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The recent East blow pushed a load of BSB inshore. Result? Drop and reel double header keepers (a lil while ago for about a week). It helped to have good electronics to find the denser schools and false bottoms. 

It was stupid. Nothing huge, largest just over 3#

Any kind of jig. Any kind of teaser including bare hooks ... Bare hooks! Okay, certain kinds of bare hooks. 

Some degree of jigging skill raised the DH rate. 

Boat limits within an hour were common including us.

Didn’t lose any tackle because the lures almost never hit the bottom. #as good as it gets

With the wind change, the bite switched to a bait preference. It was good while it lasted!

Edited by hookmeup

22 hours ago, Mike said:

He's old, right? 

I fish for sport. That and the fact that I have to fillet all those prickly bastards.

Posted (edited) · Report post

This past Tuesday I was using a 1 oz epoxy jig with a green back, 12# braid and my M/H St Croix Avid Inshore spinning rod.  Biscuits loved that little jig.  Just had the little treble hook, about a size 1 or 1/0 it came with.  Looked like a VMC.  Lock and load for about an hour and I quit fishing.  I think those may be all I'll be using for BSB from now on.  They loved it.  Not to mention the fish were puking sandeels.

Edited by Spigola

The Silver and/or gold little hammered diamonds I got from my friend Dennis at Other Atlantic Jigs worked very well on sea bass last year. Single, undressed hook.

I am also a big fan of a diamond jigs with a tube trailer.  I like to swap the hook out to a 4/0 Owner Siwash Stinger for better hook sets. Put a Gama octopus hook 18" above the diamond jig and tip it with a 3 1/2" Fat Cow Eel strip. I like these over the Gulp as they last longer. Gulp tails tear up easily especially if you get into some knuckleheads BSB with prickly teeth.