CJwithdaheehay

Help! Suzuki vs DNA and dark matter OB

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I need help for my next rod , I currently use a Daiwa coastal 10”MFA . I only fish in dam and spillway area That got strippers and hybrids. The coastal is a little bit heavy for me and for some reason it doesn’t cast as far as I wanted to be( it’s a big spill way). So I’m in the market for a new rod, I’m torn between the Suzuki , D.N.A. and the dark matter OB. I mainly throw 1/2 oz -1 oz bucks and 1-2 oz shadhead with a swim bait so 1/2 0z to 2oz would be my Sweet spot , casting distance is a must! I like the Suzuki because it fits my budget pretty well , the D.N.A. price is kinda out of my price range and the OB is very light which I like a lot. Going to pair with with a stradic 4000FL I want this to be a light set up. The Daiwa is getting a littleheavy for me . 
THANKS in advance 

Edited by CJwithdaheehay

Can’t speak for the Suzuki or OB but the DNA is a really nice rod. It’s light and it’ll cast your range just fine. Not a lot of people other than @scoobydoo have much to say about the OB so wait for him to chime in.

If you're catching strippers in a spillway, I have a lot more to learn than I thought. I've only looked for strippers in bars with pole dancers.

Josh from JandH sent me the OB to futz around with...I've been having fun using it outside it's intended purpose.

I'm not trying to shill or sell ya anything....My job literally is talking about gear and reviewing gear.  (if it's a turd I'd call it that....He has a traditional 10 footer that he sent me that I haven't put much time on because I'm not a fan of the action and layout..not a bad rod but not my taste)

But anyways.....

Finishing up on using the rod outside it's intended purpose ((((I grew up throwing salmon steelhead rods for just about everything so a short butt long rod is the definition of what I grew up bank beating with)))

An  hour or so ago I caught my second 22" largemouth of the day on a 10" power team lures hammer worm....and half ounce tungsten arrowhead.

Swung it up a 4' bank (post spawn about 4.5lbs likely would have been 6 plus 2 weeks ago)

Landed what may have been the largest river largemouth in the state's history futzing around with a 13 fishing scamp 1.5

Throwing yozuri twitch baits between 1 and 1.75 ounces I land a few stripers up to the low 20# mark on the sod.

In current landed a teensize fish which was fun on a 1.75 twitch.

Stuck some dinks on yozuri hydros in both sizes.

It pencil pops pretty well too.

Almost landed a 5lb largemouth on a 171' google earth measured cast using a 3/8 oz skirted jig and keitech fat impact trailer.  Hopped off last second.

Was out last night till about 3 am looking for hybrid stripers throwing a range of baits up to half an ounce.....caught a dink on a 1/3 ounce floating rattle trap...

So far it's been a crazy fun rod to fish...even popped a 2500 certate on it and caught some river smallies and threw baits down to a shimano cardiff touga 67s (throws like a dart)which it rifled to the opposite bank (which was pretty cool)

I never fished Kilsong's suzuki rods...but I bet they're stellar...Kilsong is a dude that doesn't mess around...I have a few of his cape cod nano's and love them.....

On a side note.....I like the action of the OB enough that I'm gonna strip it down and build it conventional...and if that works.....We're gonna get those going.

I posted some bendy pics and catches on my Tackle Advisors IG....

The negatives I found.....trim band under the lock nut came loose.....It doesn't effect a thing...as there is a back up lock nut that puts it back in place....((my 400$+ Tailwalk Hi Tide TZ had the exact same thing happen at the same place...only I had to glue it.))

The spigot ferrule locks up tight and stays tight.only during the crazy temp swings has I found it can use a bit of a snugging.

tip over butt 70/30's are pretty much the only joint that will lock up any better...but they also don't come apart as easily.

This is  a minor grips and I have it with all un sanded rods...the texture left by the taping process tends to o stick to braid when tip wrapped....no harm no foul...just comes with the territory.

People that aren't used to casting long rods with short butts may over cast it a bit.....A slower casting motion will load the butt with lighter payloads.

I'd consider this rods true fishable rating to be 1/2- 2.25   it will do well with 3/8 and 2.5   And it can do lighter but only aerodynamic baits.....and it can do heavier but wouldn't want to push it.

thanks scoob, yeah i was seriously consider the OB . it's onsale right now for 250 i think. it seems to be really light which i want. but my concern is that it only have 1 yr warranty, and of course the short butt. 

Unless you're extraordinarily good at breaking things (and there are some like that) you're probably overthinking that. As for the butt, that's a matter of taste.

Just got the 9'6 suzuki and have enjoyed it so far. It throws in the entire lure range quite well. It's very strong and incredibly light. My only complaints are that the material is slightly slippery and the rod twists to the side when pencil popping or spooking. It's almost so damn light, lightest rod I've ever used but feels super strong. This rod replaced my airwave 9'6 and it's much nicer, stronger, and lighter. Got it on sale for like 180 kind of hard to beat.

Yeah I don’t pop pencils and stuff like most of the guys here. I only fish in a spill way and most of the time I be using bucktails and swim bait. Too water occasionally. But yeah I definitely want a light rod to pair with a stradic . As of rn it cost about the same if not less then the dark matter I’m eyeing, but I can snatch it for $180 I would get it within a heart beat lol.

Posted (edited) · Report post

You may want to give a try to Okuma Rockaway.

I have have 10' rated ML, 1/2 to 2oz

It weights less than 9oz and casts a mile.

I also have same rod in M, 3/4 to 3 and another 11" M, 3/4 to 3 but ML is my to go rod.

Best part is that rod is around $105 with tax.

:howdy:

Edited by Popasilov

7 mins ago, Popasilov said:

You may want to give a try to Okuma Rockaway.

I have have 10' rated ML, 1/2 to 2oz

It weights less than 9oz and casts a mile.

I also have same rod in M, 3/4 to 3 and another 11" M, 3/4 to 3 but ML is my to go rod.

Best part is that rod is around $105 with tax.

:howdy:

I just looked at it. It looks nice and the lure range fit my description, now I got another contender on the chart