Porkowski

Where to cast for stripers/blues? Beginner here

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey,

Fished freshwater my whole life but i’m quite new to saltwater. I was looking to fish striped bass/bluefish around the Brooklyn,NY- Long Island area, and I was wondering what beaches are good to start learning at? Heard of Robert Moses and Jones Beach being decent, but where do people actually fish/ are these open with COVID and all? Not asking for secret spots just generally how to get to the water I can fish at (ex: which parking lot to park at).

Also, is it better generally to cast lures or bait with bunker during the next few weeks? Any suggestions for lures? 

Thanks, apologies if the post was long.

Try the rockaways. Plenty of ocean there. There might be parking by riis park too.

If not for the pandemic and all the closures that come with it, I'd recommend looking into getting a fishing parking permit from the Ryan visitor center at floyd Bennett, as the park rangers will give you a map with general fishing spots. 

As this question comes up quite a lot I will also redirect you to my post history as I remember answering this question in better detail for someone else earlier this year. 

And as far as lures vs bait, both will work. When it comes to fishing for bluefish and striped bass, it's more a game of fishing at the just the right time. If there's no fish in the area, nothing you throw in there will work. Good luck

The Ryan Visitors center is still closed for permits, but there are parts of Floyd Bennett Field where you can park without one during the day. I'm pretty sure Riis doesn't require a permit during the day.. same for Canarsie Pier.  But yes, there's plenty of literally miles of productive ocean/ JBay fishing in Brooklyn and Queens.. good luck!

They haven't been ticketing really since places to buy the passes are closed, even though I got 1 ticket this spring but more often than not I haven't. Just consider access and google maps, read reports get and idea, take a chance. Just a matter of finding the fish or running into them. I 99% use plugs, bait obviously works, especially in the spring. Find a pier if your starting out or just hit the beach. You'll meet people and talk and learn. Do your homework and expect to get skunked. Keep a log. Good luck. Welcome to the salt. 

On 5/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, jonA said:

The Ryan Visitors center is still closed for permits, but there are parts of Floyd Bennett Field where you can park without one during the day. I'm pretty sure Riis doesn't require a permit during the day.. same for Canarsie Pier.  But yes, there's plenty of literally miles of productive ocean/ JBay fishing in Brooklyn and Queens.. good luck!

Floyd Bennett was closed as of yesterday. The whole airfield, not just the Ryan Center.

2 hours ago, JoeGBreezy said:

Floyd Bennett was closed as of yesterday. The whole airfield, not just the Ryan Center.

They are using Floyd Bennett to park NYC transit buses... 

Edited by sytheteacher

They could put every school bus in the state of NY in there and hide them well enough that you could barely see them. I call BS on their explanation. They don't want to police the drag racers in there in the evenings or spend the time and money to clean up each week. My issue is only that a lot of folks fish, shoot archery, launch kayaks,picnic or just generally walk about in there. No harm, no foul. We have more people with free time than ever before and those idiots close a 1,000 + acre facility.

13 mins ago, JoeGBreezy said:

They could put every school bus in the state of NY in there and hide them well enough that you could barely see them. I call BS on their explanation. They don't want to police the drag racers in there in the evenings or spend the time and money to clean up each week. My issue is only that a lot of folks fish, shoot archery, launch kayaks,picnic or just generally walk about in there. No harm, no foul. We have more people with free time than ever before and those idiots close a 1,000 + acre facility.

Partial closure would put a great demand on human resources. Given from what I seen so far this spring, I don't blame them.  Police should not be a babysitter.

1 hour ago, JoeGBreezy said:

Similar to what cuomo did at We2 with the corona testing. Closed miles of prime fishing areas from front to inside the inlet basically cant get west of the Meadowbrook except for the rona test.

. Fld 4 across the pky is always empty and would not interfere with any beach acsess. 

On 5/18/2020 at 11:37 PM, Porkowski said:

Hey,

Fished freshwater my whole life but i’m quite new to saltwater. I was looking to fish striped bass/bluefish around the Brooklyn,NY- Long Island area, and I was wondering what beaches are good to start learning at? Heard of Robert Moses and Jones Beach being decent, but where do people actually fish/ are these open with COVID and all? Not asking for secret spots just generally how to get to the water I can fish at (ex: which parking lot to park at).

Also, is it better generally to cast lures or bait with bunker during the next few weeks? Any suggestions for lures? 

Thanks, apologies if the post was long.

don't overlook back bays this time of year,they warm up quicker than the ocean and you usually will have more water to yourself,fish a moving tide,last 2 hrs of high and the outgoing,large sand flats that bake in the sun all day before flooding w/ 4' of water in the afternoon are prime spots early in the year as the heated sand warms the water and draws bait/fish,fish those on the drop as it takes a bit for the cold ocean water to soak up the heat from the sand,all I ever do is flyfish and if they are there I'll catch them but you could use soft plastics or stickbaits to imitate the sandeels,mummichogs,baby flounder and silversides that are back there, grass shrimp are a significant part of early stripers diets in spite of how small they are as they are very active this time of year,at high tide on a calm night you'll hear them poppin shrimp,esp on the outgoing as it pulls them out of the grass,topwater stuff is also very good in the bays this time of year too