jerseystriper

Shresbury River/Brown color

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Whats with the brown/rust color of the Shewsbury river in the back, Oceanport/Little Silver area. Haven't bothered to look in Long Branch area. Been this way for past two weeks or so. Wife and I have been taking a lot of evening virus walks and we have both noticed the odd color. Does not look fishy to me.

The winds stirring up bottom? all the dead bunker? Even the upper navisink in Red Bank appears the same color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been much longer than that. I do water changes for my saltwater fish tank with water straight from the river but have held off for awhile now because of the gross water. West wind,  East wind, high tide, low tide, rain, no rain. Doesn’t matter. Refuses to clean up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've lived two doors from the Swimming River (upper Navesink) for 17 years. I have to say this is the worst I've seen and smelled it in all that time. The group Rally for the Navesink has done great work isolating the sources of pollution and high bacteria levels and found it's mostly from horse farm runoff up by Colts Neck, ruptured sewer lines and leaky septics around Red bank/Middletown and pet/goose waste. All of that gets worse when it rains and in April it rained 23 or 30 days, so that's the answer I think. The brown color is mostly just sediment from the rain, but the smell of dead bunker and just sewery smell is awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, bass-o-matic said:

Wind and rain every week has kept it churned up.

Cant say I know the answer but I will say Ive been to other backwaters in moco and water clarity was excellent. It should be churned up there too but not the case. Seems to me sewerage leakage as mentioned above is a good possibility. I wonder if the sewarge authorities have been keeping up with increased load if you know what I mean.

Edited by adams54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Eric_S said:

It’s been much longer than that. I do water changes for my saltwater fish tank with water straight from the river but have held off for awhile now because of the gross water. West wind,  East wind, high tide, low tide, rain, no rain. Doesn’t matter. Refuses to clean up.

Haha seriously? What kind of fish are you keeping with Jersey salt? I have had brackish and freshwater tanks for years. I can’t imagine keeping parameters consistent with that water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

Haha seriously? What kind of fish are you keeping with Jersey salt? I have had brackish and freshwater tanks for years. I can’t imagine keeping parameters consistent with that water.

Jersey fish :) . Stuff I catch with my son in our traps or while clamming. We’ve had killies, spearing, stickleback, silver perch, a few different kinds of shrimp, hermit crabs, mud crabs, blue crabs, Asian crabs. May or may not have had a small horseshoe crab. All small stuff. It’s just a 40g. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Eric_S said:

Jersey fish :) . Stuff I catch with my son in our traps or while clamming. We’ve had killies, spearing, stickleback, silver perch, a few different kinds of shrimp, hermit crabs, mud crabs, blue crabs, Asian crabs. May or may not have had a small horseshoe crab. All small stuff. It’s just a 40g. 

Haha that makes a lot more sense. I was thinking tropical. Sounds fun, you got a pic of the tank?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happens every rainy spring, and this has been a seriously rainy spring.

Rain washes tons of lawn fertilizer into the rivers and we get this lovely brown algae bloom. Stage two is the algae die off, then the rotting algae fermenting the oxygen out of the water, and then the mass bunker kills. 

We need a hard 2 day rain, post lawn fertilizer, to flush it all out

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was going to go for fluke tomorrow but after seeing the river I guess I’ll go freshwater fishing! It’s a disgusting shade of brown and it smells. This was in Oceanport.

 

Edited by fishingnuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.