Bait chucker setup suggestions

Rate this topic

Sevendust111

I currently have two bait chucker setups. My first is a Penn Battle 2 5000 paired with a 10’ MH Penn Prevail 1-5oz. This is nice and relatively light but I am afraid to put more than 4oz on it. My other is a Battle 6000 with a 10’ H Okuma Longitude 3-8. This setup is way too stiff and heavy. I need something in between these two.

I already know for the reel, I want a Daiwa BG, but I am unsure of the size. Thinking either the 4,000, 4,500, or 5,000.

For the rod, I have no idea. I’m looking to spend no more than 150 taxes and tags. Was thinking the Tica Dolphin, but I hate the color scheme. Thinking probably a 10’6, 2-6oz, must be 2 piece. I need it to whip so I can launch it.

This will be used to fish for bass and blues at the Bayshore but also out front for slightly bigger stuff. Thinking about putting 40 or 50lb braid on it. Mostly use worms, clams and bunker. Thanks guys. 

Edited by Sevendust111

10’6 is my max length. Any longer and I can’t hang it out the window of my car in one piece. Where I fish I don’t need more than 6oz, if the conditions are to the point I did, I wouldn’t be fishing that day. I definitely don’t want anything nearly as heavy as my 6000/Longitude. If my prevail set up was say a 1 and my longitude a 10, I want something about 4 in terms of stiffness/weight.

Edited by Sevendust111

31 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

10’6 is my max length. Any longer and I can’t hang it out the window of my car in one piece. Where I fish I don’t need more than 6oz, if the conditions are to the point I did, I wouldn’t be fishing that day. I definitely don’t want anything nearly as heavy as my 6000/Longitude. If my prevail set up was say a 1 and my longitude a 10, I want something about 4 in terms of stiffness/weight.

You need to look at two piece rods or get yourself a rod rack. Hanging the rod out the window is an invitation to damage especially with high modulus graphite rods. I don't like two piece but limiting yourself to 10'6" out front and not being able to cast 8oz and a chunk is really curtailing the amount of fishable water you can reach. 

Buy yourself a good rod rack and you will be set for the next 25 years and will have the option of longer one piece or two piece rods.

Marc

Edited by mml4

"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience!"

In favor of an immediate moratorium on both Commercial and Recreational taking of Striped Bass.

One thing I would like to add is lay your bait on the floor/sand.  before making your cast. Basically a catapult cast believe me your distance will greatly increase. not trying to offend your technique just want to add this as it might help. 

Should've had a v8.

7 hours ago, mml4 said:

You need to look at two piece rods or get yourself a rod rack. Hanging the rod out the window is an invitation to damage especially with high modulus graphite rods. I don't like two piece but limiting yourself to 10'6" out front and not being able to cast 8oz and a chunk is really curtailing the amount of fishable water you can reach. 

Buy yourself a good rod rack and you will be set for the next 25 years and will have the option of longer one piece or two piece rods.

Marc

My longitude is for that but it’s overkill for the stripers I’m catching during the day.

13 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Switch gears and go conventional.  Tsunami Trophy II 12’ 6-10 oz with an Akios Nitron F-15 Mag.  Fantastic setup for 8 and bait.  Seigler SM on a AFAW 6 and bait is awesome too.  Go bold or go home!  J/K 

I am looking into he Trophy, but 6-10 is way more than I need. I want to be able to fish for schoolies at the Bayshore with the rod too. 

Edited by Sevendust111