Pescador710

Worm Hatch??

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

So I was out on the kayak at day break in buzzards bay recently and terns were working and fish were slurpin’. I was able to get a handful of schoolies on the ablie snax but was getting mostly ignored.

It was glass calm so I was able to stand and get a good view. I saw large schools of fish evenly spaced out about 2 feet deep. They would rush to the surface here or there for a bite but I couldn’t see the bait. I couldn’t even see what the terns were picking out of the water.

Did I witness a worm hatch bite?

I’m pretty sure I’ve witnessed one before but that was in a salt pond and this was in open water.

What say you?

We've that in that same area a bunch.  It can be maddening...you can see the fish tailing around in the calm shallow water, but they are picky as hell.  I was never able to pick much up, but we always suspected worm hatches, especially when the birds were in on it.  Other times, they just seem to wallow around near the surface too sometimes, and we'll spook them with the yaks or the boat.  

If it was worms, I would have thought they would be quite visible. I have been at a worm hatch where I couldn’t see worms unless the it was at night. 
Maldonado, you describe the fish as rushing the bait which is not how they usually eat worms. It’s usually a very gentle sip/swirl and if you are hearing big splashes it’s the tail kick as they propel back down. I would guess a very small bait fish like bay anchovy. 

The dreaded worm hatch. :banghd:

There's been days when I was  in my waders, surrounded by fish, from 12" to 20lbs slurping worms. Many mere inches off my waders. Had a box full of beautiful worm flies, inc 3" red slugggos. 

After several hours I was ready to break my fly rod over my knee.   I've heard rumors of can't miss worm flies, but I've never seen it.