Mass. Re-opening - Outdoor recreational impact

Rate this topic

bdowning

3 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Oh good.  So I could go breathe hard inside with a bunch of strangers but I can’t sit in the middle of Nantucket sound by myself 

I think this makes it pretty clear that your tow vehicle has to be registered in MA. 

https://www.town.dennis.ma.us/sites/dennisma/files/uploads/coastal_boatramps.pdf

Here is the governors announcement on the Harwich harbormasters site

https://www.harwich-ma.gov/sites/harwichma/files/uploads/boating_guidance_final_4.27.20.pdf

Your information regarding out of state plate launches at town ramps is incorrect, or out of date.

I just called my local Town in Bourne, which includes the use of Taylor Point, daily fee.

The mandate issued by the Gov is for STATE ramps, not local towns, which then are only at the local authorities discretion.

My town official stated they called numerous Cape towns for what other are planning, and most all were open to out of state plates.

Bourne, Dennis, Yarmouth, Falmouth all reporting access for all.

So far, Sandwich canal ramp is the only one following the State guideline and closed to out of state plates.

Here is a condensed copy of the standing orders issued Monday by Gov Baker. 

PDF file attached for the full order.

Ramps.jpg

5-18-20-recreational-boating-and-other-waterway-related-activities.pdf

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

They showed vid on the news of some oxford public health official issuing a citation to the gym owner. i thought he was going to rip it up right in front of him but he didnt, lol. 

the chatham gym stated on their facebook page the health director showed up, demanded they close of the police would be back with a citation. the members are already talking about organizing a fundraiser to cover the costs...

When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person;
it merely says something about our own need to be critical.
-Author Unknown-

59 mins ago, FishRatz said:

Your information regarding out of state plate launches at town ramps is incorrect, or out of date.

I just called my local Town in Bourne, which includes the use of Taylor Point, daily fee.

The mandate issued by the Gov is for STATE ramps, not local towns, which then are only at the local authorities discretion.

My town official stated they called numerous Cape towns for what other are planning, and most all were open to out of state plates.

Bourne, Dennis, Yarmouth, Falmouth all reporting access for all.

So far, Sandwich canal ramp is the only one following the State guideline and closed to out of state plates.

Here is a condensed copy of the standing orders issued Monday by Gov Baker. 

PDF file attached for the full order.

Ramps.jpg

5-18-20-recreational-boating-and-other-waterway-related-activities.pdf

In a post today I provided links to the Dennis Harbormasters site and the Harwich harbormasters site.  I hope you are right but then these towns have info they have posted on their own sites that is wrong.  The State said town ramps can do what they want but it look like these towns have decided to follow the state’s lead.

4 mins ago, Skivt2 said:

In a post today I provided links to the Dennis Harbormasters site and the Harwich harbormasters site.  I hope you are right but then these towns have info they have posted on their own sites that is wrong.  The State said town ramps can do what they want but it look like these towns have decided to follow the state’s lead.

Yup.  Just called SAQ and it’s off limits to out of state plates. So is Sesuit.  So for all you boaters out there without Ma plates you are SOL.  Might want to start calling the governors office and asking why you can pay to go out on a strangers boat but you can’t take your own out.

6 mins ago, Skivt2 said:

Yup.  Just called SAQ and it’s off limits to out of state plates. So is Sesuit.  So for all you boaters out there without Ma plates you are SOL.  Might want to start calling the governors office and asking why you can pay to go out on a strangers boat but you can’t take your own out.

I'm sorry for your situation. I guess my contact official DNR in Bourne was incorrect with their statement regarding other towns down Cape your ways.

The "For Hire" Charters worked hard to lobby for returning their business, and will only be allowed to do so, beginning on Monday 25th, and with groups no larger than 10 including the crew.

4 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

If you are really worried about not having MA plates then go rent a Uhaul pickup (make sure it has MA plates) and tow your boat with that. 

All DCR camping reservations beginning on June 7th or before have been cancelled. And they're not accepting any new reservations until further notice.  So I'm not sure what's up if you had 2 weeks camping that was supposed to start on the 6th.

I'll have mine on the rocks.

As of today the scusset beach and jetty parking lots are now open, but only during daylight hrs. Numerous signs state the DCR will lock the gate at 6 pm. Have no idea how long that will last, just posting the info. 

Pfantum Pfishah

22 hours ago, BDigital said:

Skiv, has anyone suggested Rock Harbor? It might be worth trying. 

I’m pretty sure he ramp is under construction.  Hard place to deal with for tides and parking.  Wondering about Yarmouth and Smugglers.  Anyone know if Yarmouth is open for out of state tow vehicles? Bass River launches are interesting with the current but we’ve used them before.

Not sure where they are with construction. The main reason for mentioning Rock Harbor was because it is free and the many times I have lauched no one was on duty. Never had an issue with parking. Tides can be tricky but if you plan ahead shouldn't be difficult. Besides renting a Uhaul truck with mass plates, it might be your best chance to get on the water. 

Any updates on when Mass will allow non Mass registered vehicles to use boat ramps? Possibly phase two of reopening? Also, with RI allowing non residents on charters starting June 1st, is Mass expected to allow non residents on charters any time soon? Have 3 days booked in second half of June out on the Cape, hoping things open up before then 

On 5/29/2020 at 10:06 AM, Whaler13_JH said:

Any updates on when Mass will allow non Mass registered vehicles to use boat ramps? Possibly phase two of reopening? Also, with RI allowing non residents on charters starting June 1st, is Mass expected to allow non residents on charters any time soon? Have 3 days booked in second half of June out on the Cape, hoping things open up before then   

i don’t believe there is a restriction on non-residents on mass charters.  In fact my understanding is that as a CT resident I can go on a Mass charter boat but can’t take my own boat out.  

Edited by Skivt2