ermghoti

Picking a Handheld VHF

23 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, ermghoti said:

HX40 is about the handiest I've seen. What did Uniden do to you?

Amateur radio operator. I'm a Yaesu guy, which is why I like the Standard Horizon gear. ICOM never did it for me. A Uniden would be pissah if I wanted a scanner on the water.

Checked the inventory online, and went to Bass Pro to pick up a bottle of 303, and look at an Atlantis 155 and an Atlantis 275. Neither the 275 nor the 303 were actually in stock, and I double checked while I was there. Kind of pointless, but I did judge the 155 to be reasonable in size, but really clumsy looking; halfassed aesthetics, for what little that's worth.

Currently, given the similarities of the products, I'm leaning towards the Icom M25, because unless my Google-fu fails me, its charge cable is a normal USB, making for easy charging on the go.

Yeah I gotta re-up on my radios.   

Ones down and I gotta figure it out if it's fried or just the battery.

I'll report back on make and model...........soon.  :o

On 5/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, ermghoti said:

Currently, given the similarities of the products, I'm leaning towards the Icom M25, because unless my Google-fu fails me, its charge cable is a normal USB, making for easy charging on the go.

That is correct, it charges with a micro USB cable (the kind used to charge Android phones).

I have one with a DSC button. Calls coast guard and gives coodinates. Nice feature. I t's bigger than i want, but I do like having the feature.

1 hour ago, Cape said:

I have one with a DSC button. Calls coast guard and gives coodinates. Nice feature. I t's bigger than i want, but I do like having the feature.

I've seen that, and it's very impressive. If I start fidgeting around offshore and/or alone much, it's a must. Like you say, way bigger and pricier.