ermghoti

Picking a Handheld VHF

23 posts in this topic

Looking for a compact (hoping it can live in a PFD pocket) submersible model. The Standard Horizon HX300 looks like the right stuff. The Icom M25 is marginally larger, but has the feature to shake water out of the speaker, which seems kind of nice. M37 is a hair bigger with an extra watt of max power that I can't imagine actually helps, but a IP7 vs the 25's IPX7.

Anybody use the Aquashaker on the Icoms? Any better than just banging the water out?

Have had great luck w Uniden MHS75.

7YO, still going strong, original batt and all. She went for few swims :), full submersions.

Whatever you get, leash it to the PFD. Learn how to make a proper Mayday call

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes, meant to mention I intended to leash it.

The Uniden is priced very favorably on The River as well. A couple of reviewers unhappy with the battery failing, doesn't look like you had that problem.

Edited by ermghoti

1 hour ago, r111 said:

Have had great luck w Uniden MHS75.

7YO, still going strong, original batt and all. She went for few swims :), full submersions.

Whatever you get, leash it to the PFD. Learn how to make a proper Mayday call

Oops, forgot to ask specifically: is there anything to the ICom speaker shaker in your opinion? Is getting water out of a speaker more involved than rattling it around? I'd hate to be in the water with a handheld saying "mawp mawp mawp" at me.

I own the ICOM radio and would recommend it. Fits nicely in the radio pocket on my NRS PFD. It would probably be a little awkward clipped on to the outside of a PFD due to its size. I am able to reach my local automated radio check station from about 5 miles with obstructions in the line of sight. The read back is not perfect but good enough. Battery life is long. I keep it on me to get weather reports and for emergency use and am never transmitting on it except for a radio check, so YMMV.

I have the Uniden MHS126...descent radio, floats, has glow in the dark keys, strobe that activates when it goes in the drink so you can actually find it if needed, only problem i had was the battery clip just broke on its own one day, probably from stress, i never dropped or banged it... nothing a zip tie around the radio couldn't fix 

with the 4 yr / $4.00 per yr protection plan i got it actually ended up being free ... almost

reported my problem & they refunded me the full price i paid.... 

Cant comment on the water in the speakers part & this is just a guess but i'll bet most of our radios have never seen the water....

1 hour ago, tanktroll said:

I own the ICOM radio and would recommend it. Fits nicely in the radio pocket on my NRS PFD. It would probably be a little awkward clipped on to the outside of a PFD due to its size. I am able to reach my local automated radio check station from about 5 miles with obstructions in the line of sight. The read back is not perfect but good enough. Battery life is long. I keep it on me to get weather reports and for emergency use and am never transmitting on it except for a radio check, so YMMV.

The 37 or 25?

7 hours ago, cheech said:

Standard Horizons have a great FM tuner, nothing like tunes out there.

We bought two SH ratios. Both had the same problem ( serial numbers were different by one). Radios sent back and were gone for months. Customer Service was terrible. Many lies. When we finally got them back, they still had the same problem. They would freeze up and often were locked for long periods of time. We will never deal with Standard Horizon. 

I remember reading they sold a two pack of radios that people had problems with. The 210 model I own has been trouble free for many trips over two years.

1 hour ago, cheech said:

The 210 model I own has been trouble free for many trips over two years.

That is the model we bought. The serial numbers were one apart so you are correct, there was a bad batch. The screen on one of them turned upside down and stayed that way for awhile. 

41 mins ago, SwimBait said:

ICOM is fine, but my preference would be Standard Horizon. HX40 is a nice rig for the money. Uniden would not be on my list. 

HX40 is about the handiest I've seen. What did Uniden do to you?