Jay in the Bay

Buying a car/truck - Buy from a dealer, or buy from a rental car co.?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm going to be in the market for a vehicle upgrade in the near future.  Currently driving a Hyundai Accent, but only because I put so much mileage on my commute to/from work and need the gas economy.  But if working from home is going to be a more regular thing, I think I might want to upgrade to a truck or large SUV, most likely pre-owned, not new.

I know about car dealerships, and the nickel and dime haggling the put you through, and potential to scam unseasoned customers. 

I am also thinking of looking at rental company sales, like Enterprise or Avis.   While yes, customers might beat on them, but I imagine they receive regular maintenance, and go through inspections up the wazoo prior to sale. 

Any one have experience, and can recommend one route over another?   Thanks!!!

Edited by Jay in the Bay

I bought my first real car, a 1994 Mazda 323 (the Exactamobile! :howdy:) from Enterprise. It did me well -- I beat the piss outta that car, and it still lasted a long time. 

I think you got the deal right: the tradeoff is that renters pound those cars, but that is counterbalanced by the fact that they are maintained very well. That, and the rental car companies don't hold onto cars that long: they typically have them for a year or 18 months, and then dump them for something newer. 

The bigger thing to me, at least where I am at this point in my life, is that rentals tend to be pretty Spartan in terms of options. When I was 22 and bought the Exactamobile, I didn't care that it had manual windows and no sideview mirror on the passenger side; now, I think I want a few more bells and whistles than the rentals tend to have. 

An X factor is what the deal with rental cars is right now: the pandemic has put their business right in the ****. There are rental cars parked anywhere the companies can put them, because nobody is renting them. I dunno whether that makes it a better or worse time to buy an ex-rental than normal, but I'd dig into that before I decided on buying a late-model rent-a-car. 

And, in conclusion, Wayne sucks. 

I think it’s going to be a great time to buy rental cars.  We beat on our cars can never lease... examples... I have a 2015 BMW with 186 000 miles purchased new, 2018 suburban with 120,0000.  We are driving from beach to mountains to NYC for work.  For German or high performance stuff we use dealer.  For family truckster, like Suburban or pickups, like the Tacoma we leave at farm we use enterprise. Great deals quick closings if you don’t finance. I know the phrase nothing drives like a rental...but it’s hard to ruin a modern truck in under warranty in 20k miles. I have never had issue with a suv or truck. 
Plus it’s national... you see one you want on California ... they will bring it to NJ for $500-$750 on average in a week. 

44 mins ago, Jay in the Bay said:

I'm going to be in the market for a vehicle upgrade in the near future.  Currently driving a Hyundai Accent, but only because I put so much mileage on my commute to/from work and need the gas economy.  But if working from home is going to be a more regular thing, I think I might want to upgrade to a truck or large SUV, most likely pre-owned, not new.

I know about car dealerships, and the nickel and dime haggling the put you through, and potential to scam unseasoned customers. 

I am also thinking of looking at rental company sales, like Enterprise or Avis.   While yes, customers might beat on them, but I imagine they receive regular maintenance, and go through inspections up the wazoo prior to sale. 

Any one have experience, and can recommend one route over another?   Thanks!!!

I bought a car from Enterprise once and had very good luck with it.  I really don't know how much truth there is to the idea that consumers pound those cars.  I've rented a lot of cars in my life, and don't remember ever doing anything really crazy with them.  You could buy a used car from a dealer and the guy who traded it in might have beat the crap out of it, you just don't know.  Good maintenance records will tell you more than any urban myth.  Just my two cents, many might disagree.  Good luck!

Bought a rental truck from dealer last week.  Enterprise seems to be pushing vehicles to dealers they have agreements with as fast as possible.  Dealers put them in CPO program so a 1 yo truck gets almost fresh 3 year/36k full and 7 year/100k extended drive train  warranties.  

I shopped enterprise once. I didn't think the deals they offered were particularly good. I bought one and returned it within the week after finding a better version of the same car for much less at a dealer.

The only way to win is to buy from a private owner that needs to sell.

Or you can go to Auto Lenders type dealers and pay full retail (sticker) or over for a used car. I will give them credit, they won't negotiate, I walked out after offering $24,500 for a Honda Pilot they wanted $25K, they let me go, and I went. If your everyday dealer treats you the same way, we call them thieves and bs artists, its all a big pull on your purse strings. 

In the past I would steered clear of rentals, these days they change the oil and service as needed, and there aren't as many folks beating on them the way they used to get beat on, so they are a viable solution. Not sure of their pricing policies, but the only thing they can say to an offer is no. Make them an offer.

My father bought a Tahoe from them in FL, was a good deal supposedly and car has been trouble free.

Me?  No way.  Ive rented a ton, I can't tell you how many times I've got a car from them with the 'maintainence due now' message being displayed because the oil has to be changed, god only knows how long that was on.  Then, I give them the car back 3k miles later/over, minimum.

I just bought 2017 F150 Supercab with 32k miles on it for $26.

From a ford dealer.

Certified pre-owned, warranty is intact.

I feel like I got a fair deal on my trade and walked away happy. 

FWIW- Enterprise price was about same as dealer although I didn’t look into transport and transfer fees.  Didn’t seem to be any local I wanted which might just mean local trucks ex-rental were going to dealers.  
I did pass on a couple on the lot with worn or replaced tires.  Who could trash tires in 15k miles?

I got my jeep used from a dealer, took 2 days, I got a fair deal and purchased a warranty, very smooth and easy process. I would look consider enterprise or something as long as there is a warranty. Great time to buy a car with this 0% interest for however long and no money down. My brother is currently looking at Toyotas 4runners. Jeep is also doing their crazy deal, trying to sell off old new stock. Good luck, keep us posted with what you find.

41 mins ago, Sparky said:

I just bought 2017 F150 Supercab with 32k miles on it for $26.

From a ford dealer.

Certified pre-owned, warranty is intact.

I feel like I got a fair deal on my trade and walked away happy. 

26 bucks?? That's a bargain!!!!

My gut tell me there might be some deals to be had on rentals as the rental companies try to raise cash.

I know the wu-flu must be hurting their bottom line.