Echo v Stihl and which one

Rate this topic

nedakjohn

Debating the Stihl Kombi system.  I am homeowner.  I will use it to trim hedges, cut back weeds and brush, lawn trim, maybe pole saw on occasion.  I know teh

attachments are extra.

Looking at Echo PAS system as well.

Do i need the stihl professional power head? 

What is the difference?

What should I be thinking about?

2 hours ago, nedakjohn said:

Debating the Stihl Kombi system.  I am homeowner.  I will use it to trim hedges, cut back weeds and brush, lawn trim, maybe pole saw on occasion.  I know teh

attachments are extra.

Looking at Echo PAS system as well.

Do i need the stihl professional power head? 

What is the difference?

What should I be thinking about?

Either are excellent choices. What I suggest in these situations is to consider the quality of service you will eventually need. Do you have both an Echo and Stihl Dealer nearby?  Who is closer?  Which one gives you a better sense of service?  They will all need service eventually. 

I would get a true two stroke. My vote is Echo! 

Some of the larger Stihl products are valved  and require Stihl synthetic oil only.

So I normally will not even look at a Stihl product for repair anymore.

There's no need to blow smoke up my ass as a lengthy preamble to your insulting another person. It doesn't fool anyone and it doesn't garner any favor.

TimS ---Tim To Otshawytsha October 16 2018 #3956

My Stihl equipment has treated me well. It gets used hard. I'm a customer for life. FWIW, I don't have experience with their Kombi system. I have a trimmer (with weed trimmer and pole saw), 16" chainsaw, backpack blower and hedge trimmer. 

Look at the Stihl battery powered products.  They have a similar system to the kombi without the two stroke.  I have an FSA85 trimmer and am very happy with it. 

I also have a Stihl backpack blower.  I forget the model but it is very finnicky when it comes to staring and fuel tolerance.  I basically have to by the Stihl premixed fuel at $25 / gal to get reliability.

"I just do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to do."

A good friend of mine has that Stihl kombi system and he loves it.

Not familiar with Echo products but I own multiple Stihl products and have no complaints.

As others have mentioned, go with what your local dealer sells.

I bought an Echo backpack blower last year and I have had an echo chainsaw for 10 years. I don't own anything Stihl, but have nothing against them. 

When I was shopping for the blower, I decided on the Echo based on a few things. The service from the dealer was far better than the Stihl dealer. The experience seemed better too. The dealer actually services all equipment (commercial equipment dealer/servicer) and told me to go with the Echo, hands down. 

That said, it's the 8010 2 stroke backpack blower. I don't have experience with any of their battery stuff. Not a single issue with blower or saw, so far. 

For my hedge trimmer, I bought Milwaukee. Being I already had a ton of Milwaukee tools in the M18 line, it was a no brainier. Most of the major tool brands make yard tools now. Just a thought.  

Battery isn't a bad route just make sure you have a spare battery.  

I ended up buying my wife a Dewalt  weed wacker since I have 6 of the 60V batteries in the shop.  She was having trouble handling  the Stihls because they bothered her shoulder, so battery model it is.

The battery one works ok but she needs to switch over to a 2nd 60V battery to finish.

Not sure how the Stihl battery stuff holds up duration wise.

I have the Echo PAS SYSTEM. Edger, tiller, trimmer, hedge trimmer with extension. So far so good. Also have an echo battery blower, I bought before the PAS. Battery crapped out before the so called 2 year/5 year warranty. Fine print says battery not included. Like the PAS stuff, but I like my Stihl chainsaw as well.

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

A couple weeks ago I bought the Milwaukee pole saw and hedge trimmer attachment for it. I think they are awesome. I have husqvarna and stihl weed wackers and chainsaw, I'm not sure the battery weed wacker would work for me so I didn't get that.  I already had A bunch of milwaukee stuff, but one thing about that, the pole trimmer came with a 9.0 battery. I didn't already have one of those.  I'm not sure how it would work with a 5.0 of 6.0.  I have run it out but by that time I already had so much on the ground to clean up, I needed to stop anyway.