fishfinder

SaltX 4000 Line Lay

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

A buddy of mine bought a brand new saltx 4000 at a reputable bait and tackle shop had them spool it up with 20 lb braid.He noticed after leaving and casting the reel a few times that the line lays way more on the bottom of the spool by alot. New out of the box bad line lay ? Are all 4000s like that ?   So this is a 3 fold question should the reputable bait and tackle shop guy that put the line  try to  help fix the problem meaning taking all line of then putting back on or just say have a nice day like nothings wrong is it their responsibility to make sure the line is on properly since he bought the reel there? Does anyone who has this reel have the same problem are they all like that?And If the line lays more at the bottom than the top suggestions to what is needed to make the line lay proper washer, shim add take off ect.

Edited because info from friend was incorrect line lay problem was only noticeable after casting a few times.He made it sound like it was noticed in parking lot right after he left . 

Edited by fishfinder

8 mins ago, fishfinder said:

A buddy of mine bought a brand new saltx 4000 at a reputable bait and tackle shop had them spool it up with 20 lb braid.He noticed after leaving that the line lays way more on the bottom of the spool by alot. New out of the box bad line lay ? Are all 4000s like that ? Should the shop owner that put the line on notice this and just hand it back to the customer or realize there is a problem and try to fix it with either taking off a washer or adding a shim? So this is a 3 fold question should the reputable bait and tackle shop guy that put the line on have noticed the bad line lay and try to fix the problem or just say have a nice day like nothings wrong is it their responsibility to make sure the line is on properly? Does anyone who has this reel have the same problem are they all like that?And If the line lays more at the bottom than the top suggestions to what is needed to make the line lay proper washer, shim add take off ect.

Now wait a minute... A reputable tackle shop will take the spool off and spool it on a machine.  Not much of a chance for bad line lay unless the tackle shop worker did a bad job him or herself.  I spooled my 6000 myself and it’s perfect and I did not use a machine.

I had the same issue with line lay on my saltx 6000. Completely brand new on a fresh spooling it was tapered down more toward the bottom . From what I've seen in other threads it seems like it's hit or miss with the reel you get.

I was able to fix mine by removing the small black washer under the spool on the oscillating shaft. Put the line back on, and line lay is all good now.

Tackle shop machine winds it, not his fault if spool is shimmed wrong out of the box. If heavy to the bottom remove a shim if any from under spool, heavy to the top add a shim. Don't go to the trouble of respooling the whole thing, after removing shim blast a few 100yd casts with your best long range plug and reel back, it'll straighten itself out.

6 hours ago, MrTeek said:

I had the same issue with line lay on my saltx 6000. Completely brand new on a fresh spooling it was tapered down more toward the bottom . From what I've seen in other threads it seems like it's hit or miss with the reel you get.

I was able to fix mine by removing the small black washer under the spool on the oscillating shaft. Put the line back on, and line lay is all good now.

I had the same issues with the 4000.  Adjustment of washers on the shaft ( adding or subtracting ) under the spool will be the fix.

I think that there was some extra washers in the box that the reel came with but I think i needed to take washers out.  Line was filling more towards the back of the spool.  Reel in slow and watch carefully and this will help you to make the adjustment correctly.

16 hours ago, Justinj said:

Never understood why this is still an issue with many reels. 

That would be pretty impressive if thousands of reels could be uniformly manufactured with tolerances that tight. What are the shims, 1 maybe 2mm? The manufacturers know that they cant produce a reel with those type of tolerances for a price that will sell. So shims are included if needed to fix the problem. 

On 5/19/2020 at 2:40 PM, Badtothebugs said:

That would be pretty impressive if thousands of reels could be uniformly manufactured with tolerances that tight. What are the shims, 1 maybe 2mm? The manufacturers know that they cant produce a reel with those type of tolerances for a price that will sell. So shims are included if needed to fix the problem. 

For a $400 reel in 2020 manufacturers should absolutely be able to. The gear on the crosswind shaft is only a few millimeters thick in the first place so tolerance variance of almost 100% is unacceptable. 

I can't speak for the 4, but I got a 6000 a few weeks back, reeling line on, i noticed how lumpy the line lay was. that coupled with some marks in the finish on a new reel made me return in and get a VR

Bought the 6000 about three weeks ago caught a couple bass around 20 lbs. The next day its grinding and making a funny noise. OK so I call the tackle shop I bought it from good friend of mine and he gives me a new one. Awesome sounds great. I must of had a lemon I figured. So the new one now is fine. Catching fish and no problems. Now just last effing night this piece of Gouvna starts laying line on funny and making a grinding noise and feels real rough again. Eff tsunami what a true piece of garbage. Not once but twice this happens? No no no. I'm sticking to the van staals and zee baas. Never touching tsunami again. Matter of fact this reel will be in the fire pit tonight. DON'T BUY THE SALTX SERIES.  to many problems. 

Unfortunately most new model reels often have teething issues. My first 2 Penn ssv reels had grinding issues right out of the box. The ones I have now (I have 5 now) have none of these issues. My first 2 VS vrs went back the day after I got them with loud clicking noise. My local dealer stopped carrying them for a year because so many were being returned to him. I now own 4, 1 VR50, 2 VR150 and a VR200 and can say for 3 years they have been flawless. I don’t have any Saltx reels, yet. My fishing partner has 2 that have no issues.

Also unfortunately, many of the bug fixes on new model reels are a result of issues brought to light by fishermen. As far as line lay and adding spacers, this is something that can happen with any reel. I’ve seen it on VS models as well as some high end Shimano’s. Not ideal, but a fact of life. I can understand your disappointment, but what I have seen from Tsunami lately has impressed me. I have no connection with Tsunami other than owning an 8’8” Airwave Elite which is my favorite back bay rod.