Gooch88

daiwa balistic 4000 for back bay

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

fishing flat back bay water has become something I seem to enjoy. i noticed I’m pretty confident with my tactics and my results are decent to be honest.. :help: but my setup seems to be holding me back with certain things like 3/4oz 1-1/2oz jigs. Currently Using a vsx150 paired with a 7’6” 2-6oz Custom i have a love hate relationship with this rod and it’s due to the lack of sensitivity with my lighter stuff 3/4oz - 1-1/2oz. Which kinda makes sense due to its lure rating but anyway I just can’t get it right so i made the decision to get a daiwa balistic 4000 on friday.  i feel like this reel is best suited for my style of fishing and location most of these fish are under 15lbs I’ll be lucky to even see a such a fish. I figured i can bring 2 rods along and cover both weight classes. Only problem is I’m not that great when it comes to picking out rods so I’m asking for your help I’ll be loading my daiwa balistic with 20lb j braid and will be using 3/4 - 1-1/2oz  looking for something 7’ with a long butt section not the normal 12” is there anything you guys would recommend would like to keep this rod purchase at $200.00 or under thank you ! 

Edited by Gooch88

5 mins ago, Gooch88 said:

fishing flat back bay water has become something I seem to enjoy. i noticed I’m pretty confident with my tactics and my results are decent to be honest.. :help: but my setup seems to be holding me back with certain things like 3/4oz 1-1/2oz jigs. Currently Using a vsx150 paired with a 7’6” 2-6oz Custom i have a love hate relationship with this rod and it’s due to the lack of sensitivity with my lighter stuff 3/4oz - 1-1/2oz. Which kinda makes sense due to its lure rating but anyway I just can’t get it right so i made the decision to get a daiwa balistic 4000 on friday.  i feel like reel is best suited for my style of fishing and location most of these fish are under 15lbs I’ll be lucky to even see a such a fish. I figured i can bring 2 rods along and cover both weight classes. Only problem is I’m not that great when it comes to picking out rods so I’m asking for your help I’ll be loading my daiwa balistic with 20lb j braid and will be using 3/4 - 1-1/2oz  looking for something 7’ with a long butt section not the normal 12” is there anything you guys would recommend would like to keep this rod purchase at $200.00 or under thank you ! 

Can i ask why the long butt on the 7 footer.

I ask beause leverage isn't really something you need at that weight range for efficient long distance casting...

I fish a 10 footer that weighs 7oz and it has a short butt and I can load it from 1/4 to 2.5 without any effort.

(I work on projects and am friends with Josh over at Jand H tackle.)

I wanted to bring that up  make that clear because I may come off as shilly....But it's a legitimately crazy fun rod to fish.

I like nice toys....I like recommending toys that people will appreciate....and this thing is bringing me back to my childhood days when I used to use salmon steelhead rods for EVERYTHING :)

It's a 7ounce stick inspired by the 600$ megabass pangea.  

I put a cerate 2500 on it today and fished for smallies and bass using 1/4oz jigs with trailers and squarebill cranks 

Stuck a monster largemouth (one of the largest ever caught on NJ's biggest river) on it on a squarebill, a few nice smallies, and a few stripers up to the low 20s#

In the salt I paired it with the 6k ballistic and a vr 50 and a 4k stella FI

About the short butt......This rod has a short butt and it fishes so perfectly I'm having fun using it for applications wayyy outside it's intended purpose...WIth the but at my belt...i can twich and reel jerkbaits all day....Or just straight retrieve in the same position and it feels natural.  My daily driver for light stuff is a 7'6 steez ags.....Since I got this 10 footer...it hasn't seen the light of day.  And the steez is one of the best rods on the planet....

I started long range jig fishing....(skirted bass jigs and trailers)   Launched a 170' cast with a quarter ounce jig and keitech.  Felt the fish thump it like it was on the rod tip using 8lb power pro super slick v2....and almost had it back to the bank after 4 jumps and threw the hook (solid 4-5lb fish)

Back bay I've been throwing the standarnd  1oz minnow plugs.....yo zuri twitch baits, pencils, and larger sp and yozuris.

As well as some half ounce bucktails.

I like the rod and action so much I'm having him make me a 1 off conventional to see if it translates well and would be worth bringing to market.

Also on bigger fish....Pulling on them is easy...no chicken winging like with traditional surf layouts.....Just lean back and pul..Under heavy pressure......probably more than would normally be applied...she'll load down past the stripper....But power is mainly in the top 3'

It has a spigot joint which is a very reliable joint.

Sorry for being wordy....but I've been fishing 2x / day now for a few weeks....Just got back hunting walleye after kayaking a few miles up and down my local river  And I've been fishing this new stick quite a bit (logging the info as it's a rod that hit the market just a couple weeks ago....

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Can i ask why the long butt on the 7 footer.

I ask beause leverage isn't really something you need at that weight range for efficient long distance casting...

I fish a 10 footer that weighs 7oz and it has a short butt and I can load it from 1/4 to 2.5 without any effort.

(I work on projects and am friends with Josh over at Jand H tackle.)

I wanted to bring that up  make that clear because I may come off as shilly....But it's a legitimately crazy fun rod to fish.

I like nice toys....I like recommending toys that people will appreciate....and this thing is bringing me back to my childhood days when I used to use salmon steelhead rods for EVERYTHING :)

It's a 7ounce stick inspired by the 600$ megabass pangea.  

I put a cerate 2500 on it today and fished for smallies and bass using 1/4oz jigs with trailers and squarebill cranks 

Stuck a monster largemouth (one of the largest ever caught on NJ's biggest river) on it on a squarebill, a few nice smallies, and a few stripers up to the low 20s#

In the salt I paired it with the 6k ballistic and a vr 50 and a 4k stella FI

About the short butt......This rod has a short butt and it fishes so perfectly I'm having fun using it for applications wayyy outside it's intended purpose...WIth the but at my belt...i can twich and reel jerkbaits all day....Or just straight retrieve in the same position and it feels natural.  My daily driver for light stuff is a 7'6 steez ags.....Since I got this 10 footer...it hasn't seen the light of day.  And the steez is one of the best rods on the planet....

I started long range jig fishing....(skirted bass jigs and trailers)   Launched a 170' cast with a quarter ounce jig and keitech.  Felt the fish thump it like it was on the rod tip using 8lb power pro super slick v2....and almost had it back to the bank after 4 jumps and threw the hook (solid 4-5lb fish)

Back bay I've been throwing the standarnd  1oz minnow plugs.....yo zuri twitch baits, pencils, and larger sp and yozuris.

As well as some half ounce bucktails.

I like the rod and action so much I'm having him make me a 1 off conventional to see if it translates well and would be worth bringing to market.

Also on bigger fish....Pulling on them is easy...no chicken winging like with traditional surf layouts.....Just lean back and pul..Under heavy pressure......probably more than would normally be applied...she'll load down past the stripper....But power is mainly in the top 3'

It has a spigot joint which is a very reliable joint.

Sorry for being wordy....but I've been fishing 2x / day now for a few weeks....Just got back hunting walleye after kayaking a few miles up and down my local river  And I've been fishing this new stick quite a bit (logging the info as it's a rod that hit the market just a couple weeks ago....

you actually helped with my stradic c14 purchase. I completely regret selling that reel but I was short on some plugs.. so im lucky and appreciative to see you responding here again !! i got to see the rod you described in a short Instagram post josh did I think last month not exactly sure about that timing could’ve been 2 months ago  I found it to be a very interesting especially for the price. But the butt section was really short like a crappie rod is kinda what it looked like to me it’s just not what I had in Mind for this particular setup/reel I just want something shorter as I’m not really bothered by the weight either. I really wish I could just go custom but i don’t know anyone with such talents and the rod I want in BST doesn’t have shipped in the description plus the wait time on a build  is probably something that would make me reconsider regardless. So something factory at $200-$250 works for now. I’m not very kind to my gear either.  I’ll be knee deep casting into 3’- 8’ not exactly sure if it’s even that deep. As I’ve walked up to my chest trying to get my jigs back. So i basically prefer the long butt section like 16”  as I like to let the rod rest on. My inner fore arm as I’m twitching baits. just doesn’t feel as comfortable with the 12” section I feel as if it’s Sitting on my wrist and preventing that twitch I’m looking for. it’s kind of hard to picture it  I’m guessing but the 16-18” just feels so much better for me. Thanks again scoob I was actually considering that rod for my egg float rigs. 

Edited by Gooch88

On 5/18/2020 at 6:49 AM, Bdemiri23 said:

Saltist back bay rod. Super light and sensitive, I have two of  the 7”6 models.

Checked this out today. It’s really nice may i ask which model you are fishing I was looking at the.

BB76HXS this was the 1/2oz - 1-1/2oz.

BB76MXS 1/8oz - 3/4oz.

Unfortunately the 7’6” BB76MHXS was out of stock. 1/2oz -11/2oz 

They seem to have sold out on this model fairly quick. Thank you for this recommendation I think I’m gonna wait till they restock on this model. Felt really nice with the balistic. 

Anyone fishing these models felt nice pretty nice in hand the lamiglas was a little heavy though compared to the daiwa rods. Surprised by that actually.

lamiglas black 7320s

daiwa proteus PIN70MHXS 

10 hours ago, Gooch88 said:

Anyone fishing these models felt nice pretty nice in hand the lamiglas was a little heavy though compared to the daiwa rods. Surprised by that actually.

lamiglas black 7320s

daiwa proteus PIN70MHXS 

I have the 8 ' proteus....removed the massive stripper guide and re wrapped it with the existing guides....Now it's much better  :)  

Great action

4 hours ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I have the 1/2-1 1/2 and it’s been my go to for the back bays lately. Light so you can fish it for long period and cast like a rocket . 

Thank you. !!  After doing some research the lure weight seems really accurate on this model. after calling 5 shops and then telling me they are out of stock I think it’s a must have at this point. I’m going to  place a order now. Hopefully have it next week. Found them on amazon idk why it never came to me to check there. 

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I have the 8 ' proteus....removed the massive stripper guide and re wrapped it with the existing guides....Now it's much better  :)  

Great action

thanks scoob im going to check amazon and see if they 8’ M 30-55# very stealthy looking I like it. 

Capable rod the back bay. Have enjoyed it while fishing inlets. Just yesterday slayed some bluefish. The heavy power came into play nicely. Was throwing 1.5 oz. and catching 2-4 LB blues in current .

Edited by jeffapeikin