yarddog59

Thin Neoprene socks?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a thin pair of neoprene socks to wear in a pair of Simms wading shoes. The socks I have are too thick and a tight fit in the wading shoes for some of the long walks Ive been on. Any recommendations? Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

NRS makes good stuff and they sent me a flyer that they were having a sale...not sure when it's until, or if those are included.

I have Hodgman wading socks, but I think they're thicker than what you're looking for.  They were cheap and I like them for a similar purpose to what you are looking for (wearing wading boots without waders)

Edited by PSUFly

I just amazon primed a pair of NRS 0.5. It is always a challenge keeping  churning wave driven sand out of wading shoes in the NE surf.

I don't have that perfected yet, but a pair of quick dry wading pants with straps to keep them over the wading boots would be great too!

23 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

I'm looking for a thin pair of neoprene socks to wear in a pair of Simms wading shoes. The socks I have are too thick and a tight fit in the wading shoes for some of the long walks Ive been on. Any recommendations? Thanks

Sims makes a nice lightweight 3 mm sock  --they're pretty good. 

On 5/18/2020 at 8:43 AM, yarddog59 said:

I just amazon primed a pair of NRS 0.5. It is always a challenge keeping  churning wave driven sand out of wading shoes in the NE surf.

I don't have that perfected yet, but a pair of quick dry wading pants with straps to keep them over the wading boots would be great too!

I find that boots that are well sealed take in the most sand. When you walk or move the resulting compression and release of the materials creates a suction that draws in sand.Fishing w/ "water shoes" which are made w/ a highly ventilated/open weave fabric ,which doesn't have the capacity for the suction effect, don't get the level of sand intrusion std boots do.They'll still get some sand but not as bad as std wading boots.

Slip you should have been a Native American. You would have been more comfortable with that tribe of humans. They knew stuff like you do

The birds are silent today so you know what is not going to happen. Time for a cold one.

oly

Update: I waded yesterday out front in the surf of Monmouth County. I had the NRS 0.5 socks in a pair of Simms wading shoes. I covered the tops of the shoes with a velcro secured gravel guard, with another strap of velcro over the top of the  gravel guard.  Velcro gravel guards alone never stay put  in the surf. My wading pants coved the ankle area. I fished for three hours with out any sand intrusion. That was a first. It was a pleasant hike back missing the usual lumps of wet sand under my arches, and between the toes!

I wear size 11 and had size 11 Simms wading shoes. The shoes have great protection and they lace up, as opposed to zippers. I had to clean the velcro straps of sand so they work well again.

The new simms wading shoes run narrow, so if you wear an 11 get a half size larger.