stripedbassjeff

Older hobie outback seat upgrade recommendation

12 posts in this topic

Old seat is killing me. Want to put a raised seat. The option of run across are Jackson elite seat 1.O, ascend kayak seat, Brooklyn kayak seat. There was another called budtrol universal kayak seat. It is made in Australia not sold in the United states. Thet state that it fits on almost any sot kayak. Probably cost a arm and leg to ship. 

What do you all say. Tryed any of these? Thinking about it? What do you think is the best one?

I'll take it you've tried the foam stadium pad under the seat trick?I It was way better than stock, but it didn't help the back that much. 

Man I do not miss that seat at all. Especially all the wet ass in the Revo. Monkey butt a few miles from shore was the freaking worst. Torch the kayak and get a new on man, that seat has to go. 

Gonna mess up your center of gravity. Had great success with the surf to summit gts expedition seat. Worth the investment, had I not come across a great deal on a 2018 I'd still be in my 2014 

I’ve been out 3 times using this Backjoy  ortho-spine cushion. Made of material that Crocs seem to be made of. They don’t slip while paddling and floats.

Last ditch recommendation on a modification rather than an upgrade, but cheaper at $30.  Better than the Hobie inflatable cushion. 

034C237B-620D-4A02-AFEF-BE1D64842F12.jpeg

16 hours ago, eddiespaghetti said:

Gonna mess up your center of gravity. Had great success with the surf to summit gts expedition seat. Worth the investment, had I not come across a great deal on a 2018 I'd still be in my 2014 

I might be getting a new kayak but my brother goes with me and wanted to at least make him as comfortable as possible. In that regard, I was thinking surf to but I thought the downfall was it didn't  have a high back seat. I was also look at the freak pro elite seat and the gts expedition. Not sure what to pick. The problem I usually have is no the bum but the seat straps digging into my ribs and back. One time after a 9 mile trip, I had to go to a physical therapist for a while.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The gts expedition (that's the one I had, made by surf to summit) worked well for me I'm a bigger guy 6'3 260 and it held up /supported well. Just have to make it fit. I did well with the existing hookup points for the hobie seat. The underside may slide a bit but with your weight on it no problem. You can always add velcro or something underneath. 10x better than original 

Edited by eddiespaghetti

13 hours ago, bkupmstr said:

Look into the turkey seat

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AV6CO4?pf_rd_r=2FH7DAKNJ7Q78FBMCF24&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

my buddy has this is his Hobie and it works great

If you're in any water other than a pond, you're cog is going to be compromised with that setup. To each their own but in any sort of seas you put yourself at risk 

On 5/17/2020 at 9:19 PM, staktup said:

I’ve been out 3 times using this Backjoy  ortho-spine cushion. Made of material that Crocs seem to be made of. They don’t slip while paddling and floats.

Last ditch recommendation on a modification rather than an upgrade, but cheaper at $30.  Better than the Hobie inflatable cushion. 

034C237B-620D-4A02-AFEF-BE1D64842F12.jpeg

man that thing looks like it came right out of the hobie sweat shop.  much nicer than the cushiony garden knee pad thing i used to use.

7 hours ago, eddiespaghetti said:

If you're in any water other than a pond, you're cog is going to be compromised with that setup. To each their own but in any sort of seas you put yourself at risk 

My friend is on the second seat, first one he cut down to reduce the center of gravity

1” in the front 3 inches off the back. ( actually there is an old thread here somewhere of the invetnter of this solution) 

he had fished it all over the Raritan and the Manasquan river and never tipped it. The latest seat he’s had in for a year without cutting it down and says it  really isn’t that tippy either but it is personal preference 

7 hours ago, eddiespaghetti said:

My friend is on the second seat, first one he cut down to reduce the center of gravity

1” in the front 3 inches off the back. ( actually there is an old thread here somewhere of the invetnter of this solution) 

he had fished it all over the Raritan and the Manasquan river and never tipped it. The latest seat he’s had in for a year without cutting it down and says it  really isn’t that tippy either but it is personal preference