flyntus

Weights

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Wow!  Thanks for all the good information and gear tips, Pendulauncher.  I have injured my left shoulder, so I have not gone casting like I planned.  I have the heavy action Penn Carnage II 12 footer.  It says it is rated 4-10 oz.  When I first cast is, I did an off the ground cast with 8 oz at a football field.  I had full mags on with the Akios and I may have made it 80 yards.  This was when I first hurt my shoulder and I couldn't put full power and rotation into the cast.  When I heal up a bit, I will do some more casting and experiment with the mag setting to get to a sweet spot.  Thanks again!

Flyntus

On 7/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, ghostfish slayer said:

ss tig rod... its stainless steel and does not rust or corrode...its much stronger then the brass eyes same size wise... yeah you have to modify stuff and form it but i think its well worth it.. i have a bunch of 10 oz lead ball that i poured 4/5 years ago and not one has bent squashed or corroded.

I hadn't thought about corrosion, since we don't currently fish any of the tidal areas.

Curious, are you fishing from the riverbank? The reason I ask is because I want wires that will eventually bend slightly (under heavy pressure) so I can pull free of the bottom when I reel up to change bait or start fighting a fish.  I use about 18 inches of 50 lb. mono as a dropper that's tied to a slider.  My 10 oz weights anchor well in heavy Spring/early Summer current because the wires won't bend until I pull hard.

I'm headed out to fish. Tight lines, everybody!

On 7/10/2020 at 4:42 PM, flyntus said:

Wow!  Thanks for all the good information and gear tips, Pendulauncher.  I have injured my left shoulder, so I have not gone casting like I planned.  I have the heavy action Penn Carnage II 12 footer.  It says it is rated 4-10 oz.  When I first cast is, I did an off the ground cast with 8 oz at a football field.  I had full mags on with the Akios and I may have made it 80 yards.  This was when I first hurt my shoulder and I couldn't put full power and rotation into the cast.  When I heal up a bit, I will do some more casting and experiment with the mag setting to get to a sweet spot.  Thanks again!

Flyntus

Good luck with that shoulder. Hopefully it doesn't keep you sidelined for too long.

Edited by Pendulauncher
Accidentally submitted the reply before typing anything.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:12 AM, Stonefish said:

The Columbia and lower Yakima has some excellent smallmouth fishing. Good walleye fishing as well.

You aren’t that far from Potholes Res which has multiple species.

Tons of big carp around that will rip some drag.

There is also a pikeminnow bounty program on the Columbia. Some folks have made over $100K per year fishing that program.

SF

On the Snake, too.

I will look into that Pikeminnow program.  Sounds like fun and it's always nice to earn a little extra change.  Yeah, the shoulder is being stubborn and not healing as fast as I'd like.  I have to remind myself I'm not 30 anymore.  I'm 48 and these things take a bit more time to heal.

Tight lines!

Flyntus

16 hours ago, flyntus said:

I will look into that Pikeminnow program.  Sounds like fun and it's always nice to earn a little extra change.  Yeah, the shoulder is being stubborn and not healing as fast as I'd like.  I have to remind myself I'm not 30 anymore.  I'm 48 and these things take a bit more time to heal.

Tight lines!

Flyntus

Pound for pound, they're not the best fighters, but they make a great sturgeon bait. For casting, 4 to 6 inchers are great.