flyntus

Weights

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

What type of leads should I be using to hold bottom in the Columbia River?  Sputniks, Frog Tongue, Pyramid, Other?  I will be fishing from the bank with 8nBait.  In the past I've primarily used sputnik style sinkers on the TX Gulf Coast.  But, I am new to river fishing.  

 

Thanks all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Columbia and lower Yakima has some excellent smallmouth fishing. Good walleye fishing as well.

You aren’t that far from Potholes Res which has multiple species.

Tons of big carp around that will rip some drag.

There is also a pikeminnow bounty program on the Columbia. Some folks have made over $100K per year fishing that program.

SF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm most familiar with the river below Bonneville. I use cannonballs in the boat and from shore it depends, railroad spikes if they're on hand. If you paddle your gear out, a releasable sand bag or big rock rigged to break away. I don't know what works upstream, probably not too different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 0:57 PM, flyntus said:

Hey guys,

What type of leads should I be using to hold bottom in the Columbia River?  Sputniks, Frog Tongue, Pyramid, Other?  I will be fishing from the bank with 8nBait.  In the past I've primarily used sputnik style sinkers on the TX Gulf Coast.  But, I am new to river fishing.  

 

Thanks all!

 

If you're going to use lead it's best to mold your own claw sinkers, especially if you're only using 8 oz. Do-It makes two molds that I consider essential; one for 5 1/2 oz. and 8 oz. weights, the other for 9 and 10 oz.  Those molds are designed for use with16 ga and 14 ga wire, which isn't strong enough----it bends too easily under load from heavy current.  You'll have to modify them slightly with a Dremel Tool and power drill so they'll accept 12 ga wire.  Use the Dremel to open up the channels that accept the wire eye/line tie.  Clamp the mold in a vise and use the drill to open up the port that accepts the wire prongs.  TAKE YOUR TIME, as it's easy to veer off course.  Work gradually, with increasingly larger drill bits (I think we used 3 sizes).

 

I use 4 prongs of 12 ga galvanized steel wire. Rather than using brass wire eyes, I bend a longer (maybe 10 in. or so) piece of 12 ga wire around the tip of some needle nose pliers to form a loop.  The tips of that section of wire will serve as 2 of your 4 prongs.  Cut 2 shorter sections of wired and bend them slightly at one end.  Work the bent end into the mold alongside the other 2 prongs.  The bend serves as an anchor and keeps the wire from spinning or pulling out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 0:57 PM, flyntus said:

Hey guys,

What type of leads should I be using to hold bottom in the Columbia River?  Sputniks, Frog Tongue, Pyramid, Other?  I will be fishing from the bank with 8nBait.  In the past I've primarily used sputnik style sinkers on the TX Gulf Coast.  But, I am new to river fishing.  

 

Thanks all!

What rod and reel setup are you planning to use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pendulauncher said:

 

If you're going to use lead it's best to mold your own claw sinkers, especially if you're only using 8 oz. Do-It makes two molds that I consider essential; one for 5 1/2 oz. and 8 oz. weights, the other for 9 and 10 oz.  Those molds are designed for use with16 ga and 14 ga wire, which isn't strong enough----it bends too easily under load from heavy current.  You'll have to modify them slightly with a Dremel Tool and power drill so they'll accept 12 ga wire.  Use the Dremel to open up the channels that accept the wire eye/line tie.  Clamp the mold in a vise and use the drill to open up the port that accepts the wire prongs.  TAKE YOUR TIME, as it's easy to veer off course.  Work gradually, with increasingly larger drill bits (I think we used 3 sizes).

 

I use 4 prongs of 12 ga galvanized steel wire. Rather than using brass wire eyes, I bend a longer (maybe 10 in. or so) piece of 12 ga wire around the tip of some needle nose pliers to form a loop.  The tips of that section of wire will serve as 2 of your 4 prongs.  Cut 2 shorter sections of wired and bend them slightly at one end.  Work the bent end into the mold alongside the other 2 prongs.  The bend serves as an anchor and keeps the wire from spinning or pulling out.

 

modify the molds to use ss tig rod.. its fairly cheap by the lb at the welding shop.. 308l 309l it comes in many different sizes..plug builders use it for through wire... i use it for plugs my modified do it molds... even go larger for my downriger weights up to 15 lbs.

..

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ghostfish slayer said:

.

 

13 hours ago, ghostfish slayer said:

modify the molds to use ss tig rod.. its fairly cheap by the lb at the welding shop.. 308l 309l it comes in many different sizes..plug builders use it for through wire... i use it for plugs my modified do it molds... even go larger for my downriger weights up to 15 lbs.

..

Educate me on this. What's the advantage of using TIG rods? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Pendulauncher.  Thanks for the advice.  I just outfitted a 12 ft Penn Carnage II with an Akios Nitron F-15.  I plan on doing some field casting tomorrow. I will post my opinions about the rod and real sometime soon.

 

R/

flyntus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ss tig rod... its stainless steel and does not rust or corrode...its much stronger then the brass eyes same size wise... yeah you have to modify stuff and form it but i think its well worth it.. i have a bunch of 10 oz lead ball that i poured 4/5 years ago and not one has bent squashed or corroded.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 4:40 PM, flyntus said:

Hey, Pendulauncher.  Thanks for the advice.  I just outfitted a 12 ft Penn Carnage II with an Akios Nitron F-15.  I plan on doing some field casting tomorrow. I will post my opinions about the rod and real sometime soon.

 

R/

flyntus 

Hopefully everybody had a fun and safe Independence Day.

 

I haven't handled or cast either of the Carnage II 12 footers, but they look pretty good on paper.   Let us know how you like fighting fish with it.  Did you get the "Heavy" model or the "Extra Heavy"?

 

For shore fishing, you're going to need a larger reel, as you won't be able to use braid.  The fish will cut you off on the rocks.  Been there, done that.  As a bear minimum, your reel should hold 300 yards of 40 lb. mono.  Personally, I won't fish any reel that holds less than 300 yards of 50 lb. mono.  300 yards of 40 lb. mono is usually enough for fish up to 9 feet, but you're in an area where you can expect to eventually hook a super tanker. 10 footers are not uncommon and there are larger fish around.  I have a friend who has a house in Kennewick.  One of his family members came out last year and landed a 12 footer, but he was in a boat and could follow the fish.  Back in the mid-'90's, a little way upstream from you, I met an older retired Air Force guy who fished a Daiwa Sealine 600 (the original Sealine) filled with over 300 yards of 60 lb. mono.  It was mounted to a 1 pc, 14 foot Lamiglas rod.  He had been spooled a few times. I know a married couple that landed an 11 footer with 40 lb gear, while fishing the Snake-----it took them 4 or 5 miles downstream.  From camp, we watched them (eventually needing binoculars) until that little speck of a boat disappeared around the bend.

 

If I were you, I'd seriously consider a two-speed for the extra cranking power.  Avet's HXW, Penn's Torque 60 and Fathom 60, and others would work well.  I use a discontinued Accurate two-speed that holds 300 yards of 60 lb. mono.  I bought a Fathom 60 two-speed (300 yards of 60 lb mono) and a Fathom 60 level-wind (over 300 yards of 50 lb mono) as guest reels.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.