tonymo

Scope I.D./ Info.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

This was mounted to a late 60's Win. model 94. Nothing comes up for this in google. Curious who has or had one and their experience good or bad with them. The bottom of the windage turret is stamped Japan with a diamond that has an upper case letter E inside of it.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

On 5/17/2020 at 1:24 PM, tonymo said:

This was mounted to a late 60's Win. model 94. Nothing comes up for this in google. Curious who has or had one and their experience good or bad with them. The bottom of the windage turret is stamped Japan with a diamond that has an upper case letter E inside of it.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

Not a 60's era scope but I'm guessing you already knew that.  What I can offer is what Scope it is almost certainly not.

Pentax - Wrong objective

TASCO - Wrong ocular (yes, Tasco made their scopes in Japan for a long while before they ruined the brand).

B&L - Unlikely, private branding was beneath them

My guess?  It's a private label at mid-range price point.  Could be a Nikon prior to the Monarch when they weren't as well known.  You have to remember in the mid-80's that Japan was still considered the China of today.  They upped their game around the late 70's and their current glass is "nearly" state of the art.  They also upped their asking prices shortly after that.

Thanks for the pics...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for the insight. It was mounted to the side of the receiver with a Weaver mount. It seemed half ass because when the rounds are ejected they were smacking the scope, so I removed it and set it away. I have been wanting to post about it for about 5 years and just got motivated to do it now. 

I installed a set of Skinner sights as the original irons were non existent.

There also a independent rotating bezel on the ocular to show where the power is at, I guess so you don't have to pick your head up to see the top of the tube.

IMG_0170.jpg

Edited by tonymo
picture format

Posted (edited) · Report post

A later '94 was called a side eject to allow better extraction when using a scope. If it was a pre-64 94, please tell me someone did not drill & tap the receiver. I bought one for parts one time that had 11 holes drilled and tapped on the receiver side. Evidently the original disfigurement was not in the proper position for the scope and it was redone. If it was not a pre-64, no harm done. The easiest way to tell is shake the gun. If it sounds like a cariachi band, it is a crap '94.

Edited by Whopper Bubba

I looked up the SN quite some time ago and it showed post 64' . Not sure how much side eject there is as I have not looked at it in a while, I'll try later to get a look and a pic.. Yes, right into the receiver!

On 5/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, mako20ft said:

Not a 60's era scope but I'm guessing you already knew that.  What I can offer is what Scope it is almost certainly not.

Pentax - Wrong objective

TASCO - Wrong ocular (yes, Tasco made their scopes in Japan for a long while before they ruined the brand).

B&L - Unlikely, private branding was beneath them

My guess?  It's a private label at mid-range price point.  Could be a Nikon prior to the Monarch when they weren't as well known.  You have to remember in the mid-80's that Japan was still considered the China of today.  They upped their game around the late 70's and their current glass is "nearly" state of the art.  They also upped their asking prices shortly after that.

Thanks for the pics...

Whose glass is considered as "state of the art" right now?  (I'm secretly hoping it's made here.)

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Whose glass is considered as "state of the art" right now?  (I'm secretly hoping it's made here.)

Brian,

That's kind of a loaded question.  The "best" is too subjective and varies by it's intended use.  The glass (or more accurately "Lens") goes hand in hand with the coatings because without those you or I could never appreciate the clarity (which is what primarily matters).  IMHO (and assuming price is no object), Leica stands above the rest.  That said, the cost is so far beyond the reach of 99.9% of us it's really a moot point.  If by "best" you mean bang for the buck, I'd say Burris with their "HiLume" coatings and more specifically the "Fullfield II" line.

It's outside of your question but most Burris products are made in the Philippines then shipped, inspected and packaged in the US.  Some scopes, from every Burris product line, are still manufactured in Greeley, CO however.  They duplicated the exact machinery so if labor costs swing the other way (such as what's happening in China right now and Japan previously), Burris can pick up right where they left off and bring some production back to the US.

Hope that helps...

On 5/29/2020 at 8:39 PM, BrianBM said:

Thank you.  Very interesting.

Does Leupold manufacture anything here?

My understanding is Leupold is entirely designed and manufactured in the US.  The warranty is also 2nd to none although I've no personal experience using it.  Some other companies market a lifetime warranty but their conditions for repair or replacement are subjective.  Burris and Leupold both take great pride in their "No Questions Asked" policy.

Thank you again. Leupold does have some contracts for military optics, but I think Svarovski (?) does too. It would be prudent to keep some manufacturing capacity here.