ACFishing

ODM Nex 1-5 in the canal?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Some tides/times you'll have to throw 6oz, but for the most part you are good, especially with pencils and lighter jigs. 

at the Canal, i categorize, three rods, for three different types of fishing, first would be the "topwater", pencil-type rods, this rod would be used for distance, me i use 11ft.2-6, moderate, moderate-fast action,paired with a long casting type spool reel, and 30lb. braid, once again, all for distance,  second be a 10-10.5 rod more fast action, throwing, sub-surface plugs, SS's, MS's, gliders, lg. trollers, loaded bottle-darters, and third would be the, 10-10.5 faster, fast action, rods, for heavy-jigging, 5-7oz., jigs, this would have a stiffer tip for sure, for lift off the bottom ,,, this is how i fish the canal, everyone is different....i guess...

5 mins ago, lureman said:

at the Canal, i categorize, three rods, for three different types of fishing, first would be the "topwater", pencil-type rods, this rod would be used for distance, me i use 11ft.2-6, moderate, moderate-fast action,paired with a long casting type spool reel, and 30lb. braid, once again, all for distance,  second be a 10-10.5 rod more fast action, throwing, sub-surface plugs, SS's, MS's, gliders, lg. trollers, loaded bottle-darters, and third would be the, 10-10.5 faster, fast action, rods, for heavy-jigging, 5-7oz., jigs, this would have a stiffer tip for sure, for lift off the bottom ,,, this is how i fish the canal, everyone is different....i guess...

Definitely a great input on the setups used at the canals for each technique. Mainly looking for a rod that I'd still be able to throw off the beach but still possibly be able to handle light uses at the canal.

8 mins ago, ACFishing said:

Definitely a great input on the setups used at the canals for each technique. Mainly looking for a rod that I'd still be able to throw off the beach but still possibly be able to handle light uses at the canal.

AC, my recommendation, for the CCC, would be a moderate, mod.-fast action, 10-11ft. of your choice, as far as ,light uses at the canal, what do you mean by this .. light uses, .. not used a lot ?

That rod will throw everything you'll need at the CCC. You may have to lob some of the larger jigs you'll use there but it will still get them where you need to get them. It has plenty of backbone to fight big dish in the currents there as well.

It is nice to have two set-ups there. One to toss the unweighted Sluggo/Hogys, smaller swimmers and other 1-4 oz plugs. The other to handle your 3-7oz offerings without concern.

If you're looking for one to handle it all, that rod will work. If you later add a heavy jigging set-up, that Nex1 will be perfect for all else.

6 hours ago, lureman said:

What about an early season when theres no big fish around lighter close to slack tide setup 

And then the crazy heavy big fish are around setup?

Along with what you said.

I guess i might have a problem 

15 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

What about an early season when theres no big fish around lighter close to slack tide setup 

And then the crazy heavy big fish are around setup?

Along with what you said.

I guess i might have a problem 

like i mentioned and said....."Everyone is different".... please read what i said, not what you think, i said, everyone fishes differently, thats the great thing about fishing.....

I tried them all and this is what I stick with.  Again everyone different.

Pencils - ODM NEX 1 2-6

MS's, gliders, Plugs and jigs up to 4oz - Lami 1201M 

When the tide is ripping and need heavy jigs I have a NEX 1 3-8 cut down to 10'6.

But I rarely bring that rod unless I want a good bicept shoulder pump.

Again make friends test stuff out and find out what you like.  Save a bunch of dough unlike me Im not friendly ;(

11 hours ago, Reel1in said:

Pencils - ODM NEX 1 2-6

When the tide is ripping and need heavy jigs I have a NEX 1 3-8 cut down to 10'6.

Again make friends test stuff out and find out what you like.  Save a bunch of dough unlike me Im not friendly ;(

lami 120m, one of my favorite rods, but not for the canal, to moderate, i use mine at Montauk, under the lighthouse, where a longer rod, only gets in the way, of your casting....

2 hours ago, lureman said:

lami 120m, one of my favorite rods, but not for the canal, to moderate, i use mine at Montauk, under the lighthouse, where a longer rod, only gets in the way, of your casting....

I use the lami everywhere lol.  I had a custom built its a circa 97 so not the new crap lol

14 hours ago, Reel1in said:

Pencils - ODM NEX 1 2-6

I think for the most part in later times ill have another Nex1 or Century built specifically for the canal but for the most part i'll like to have a rod that I can still use safely at the canal and comfortably in the surf,

On 5/20/2020 at 10:29 PM, Reel1in said:

Pencils - ODM NEX 1 2-6

Nex1 2-6 and Nex1 3-8 cut down is what I use for the canal also