KSantangelo

Squeaky Spinfisher 6

10 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PENN Fishing said:

Have you lubed the main shaft where it contacts the rotor seal? A drop or two of oil should take care of that. 

Ben

Hey Ben,

K's my other half it's her reel but I do the dirty work :) Yes, I Iubed that area. The squeak seems to be coming from part 11 1489425 (bushing) and Part 21 1489451(Bearing retainer). They meet metal to metal which I found odd, so I looked at the schematic to see if maybe a part was left off when it was assembled, but from what I see it's just how it's designed I guess..I added some grease and it squeaks less, but if you can add a better idea here I'm all ears. 

Thanks for your time 

Charlie 

Charlie - those two parts when assembled don't actually touch each other. The bushing turns, and the bearing retainer stays put, so if they were touching, you'd barely be able to turn the handle and it wouldn't sound like that. Try removing that main shaft seal entirely and see if the noise goes away, let me know what happens and we can take it from there. 

Ben

Hey Ben, 

Thanks so much for your help. Yes, I was incorrect thinking those parts touched, thanks for the clarification. Anyway, I removed the main shaft seal entirely, cleaned and removed a bit of old brownish grease from all the parts, lubed everything lightly, AND once I reassembled the squeak is gone .... Honestly, I'm really impressed with this reel, it's easy to work on, and considering the type of fishing we do it's held up to some rough circumstances.... 

All the best and then some .....

Charlie

Hey Ben,

Quick question ...on the pinion gear where the bearings and clutch sleeve assembly are assembled ... I have two shims that aren’t on the schematic ...can you tell me the order that they need to go in? I’m pretty sure I got them in the way they were,  I just want to double check...the reel is extremely loud when you turn the Handel and and I’m troubleshooting the issue...at this point I think one of the bearings needs to be replaced, but if the shims are in the wrong position that may be Part of the issue as well...

thanks for you time...

charles 

@PENN Fishing

Hey there ,

Quick question ...on the pinion gear where the bearings and clutch sleeve assembly are assembled ... I have two shims that aren’t on the schematic ...can you tell me the order that they need to go in? I’m pretty sure I got them in the way they were,  I just want to double check...the reel is extremely loud when you turn the Handel and and I’m troubleshooting the issue...at this point I think one of the bearings needs to be replaced, but if the shims are in the wrong position that may be Part of the issue as well...

thanks for you time...

charles 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Charles, the order wouldn't matter, are you positive they came from the pinion area?  Shims go on top of the main gear as well.  Our Service Center is back at full capacity, the option to send it in is always there as well.

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing

14 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Charles, the order wouldn't matter, are you positive they came from the pinion area?  Shims go on top of the main gear as well.  Our Service Center is back at full capacity, the option to send it in is always there as well.

tony

Hey there, 

Yes there are two shims in the pinion area in my reel, they are not on the schematic.... I'm pretty sure they were both on top of the stack (on top of the top bearing) I just wanted to make sure since I have no reference point..here's a pic of them.... Otherwise the reel is fine I just need to replace a bearing....

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.27.42 AM.png