Cape

Stake out pole

19 posts in this topic

I assume the advantages are no risk of snagging and having to deal with that or losing the anchor, and also not having debris get caught on your anchor line in current. The disadvantages would be storing the pole on yak, and the limited depth of use, I rarely fish in water less then say 8 feet.

I had the debris on anchor line happen to me, in a river a heavyweight 55 gallon trash bag wrapped my line and was enough to pull bow of  kayak under water, it was real quick, I did not flip and the bag travelled up the line very quick  and my anchor pulled free. I no longer carry an anchor, don't miss it and my fishing doesn't need it.....Jack

14 mins ago, Bulldog said:

I assume the advantages are no risk of snagging and having to deal with that or losing the anchor, and also not having debris get caught on your anchor line in current. The disadvantages would be storing the pole on yak, and the limited depth of use, I rarely fish in water less then say 8 feet.

I had the debris on anchor line happen to me, in a river a heavyweight 55 gallon trash bag wrapped my line and was enough to pull bow of  kayak under water, it was real quick, I did not flip and the bag travelled up the line very quick  and my anchor pulled free. I no longer carry an anchor, don't miss it and my fishing doesn't need it.....Jack

I moved to an area where there is an abundance of flats/shallow areas.

Then only thing  would be storage , but seems  easy enough to clip  on at gunnels, I also see a lot of posts people  putting power poles on yaks.....jack

Cape, I’ve used the anchor poles. They are okay. I’ve found a simple rope and dumbbell works the best for me. 

When i tried the pole I have a place to store it on the kayak. 

You will want to put a leash on the pole to get it away from you a bit. I used the anchor trolley to help. 

Couple of pics for you. The one is an open loop and the other is a rubber clip. 

The one with rubber clip show the anchor reel I’ve set up. It a retractable clothes line reel. I get a couple years out of one prior to replacing. I replaced the cord it comes with and used paracord. Hint, pull out the original cord, You won’t be able to remove it, use something to hold it in place so it doesn’t retract and you loose it. Now tie the paracord to that original cord using a knot. Release the item that is holding the original cord and let the new line be drawn in. When you have enough in, cut the new cord. Tie on a larger item to its end so it doesn’t get drawn into the reel. I also have a small zig zag cleat to fasten off the line. 

6D760201-7495-4F6D-A6B9-325B16D879BD.jpeg

494C309C-C023-45C7-A25D-5F9D3B3B96A9.jpeg

Thanks for the reply Salt. I tried the claw anchors and the dumbell. I wanted to see if something would work better for me.

Back in the day I used a stake out pole in shallow water. It was great in shallow fresh water for holding near the structure.  Mine was homemade out of wood and almost 8' long.  I used some bungee and padeyes to secure it like a paddle keep or stuck it in a rod holder on the crate.

I don't believe I ever used it in the brackish or salt.

If the water is 6-7 " is an 8ft pole long enough to hold. I purchased an aluminum extension pole from A** Hardware  that expands in length from 3-6 feet making it easier to store when not being used.  Then I realized it was too short. I may reyurn it in favor of the 8' version.

Hard pack sand can be a bear to get a good hold (at least with the pole that I use) in even a moderate wind or current. Just got back from a Pamlico Sound trip that I spent a lot time of not staying put.  My buddy used the powerpole and was very solid.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:26 PM, Cape said:

Thanks for the reply Salt. I tried the claw anchors and the dumbell. I wanted to see if something would work better for me.

I have a stake out pole on a PA14 and found it to be a PIA to use. For the flats I use a mushroom anchor, its easy to deploy, keeps me exactly in the postition I want to be and is easy to store on the PA14, I just toss it under the seat. No chain or extra scope needed. 

stripped bass jeff I made one like that a few weeks ago. it worked until the hallow steel core bent. they are hallow. I need to try to find a solid fiberglass pole. no one around has any though

On 5/31/2020 at 7:55 PM, Pinefisher said:

I have a stake out pole on a PA14 and found it to be a PIA to use. For the flats I use a mushroom anchor, its easy to deploy, keeps me exactly in the postition I want to be and is easy to store on the PA14, I just toss it under the seat. No chain or extra scope needed. 

Problem is I'm using  an Eddyline 14 (only 50 lbs stripped. I move aroundtoo much with an anchor.

25 mins ago, Cape said:

Problem is I'm using  an Eddyline 14 (only 50 lbs stripped. I move aroundtoo much with an anchor.

I just checked and the mushroom type anchor I use is 8 pounds. If you attach it to an anchor trolley with no scope, literially strait up and down, you should stay put just the same as a stake out pole. I use this set up for throwing a castnet for bait on the flats in the keys. Trying to set a stackout pole was too long of a process when you are trying to sneak up on bait. I can deploy the mushroom anchor very quickly while still holding the thrownet. The reason I deploy the anchor while casting for bait is because the current and wind tend to pull me into the mangroves if I dont use the anchor.