youngsalt

Tacoma vs Frontier

26 posts in this topic

The Frontier and Tacoma are both good trucks. Go with whatever has the least mileage. A Tacoma with 100K is going to need front wheel bearings soon. If you can get a two year old Frontier with 35K mikes for $20K buy it. That deal seems to go to be true though. 

You're going to laugh at this until you climb into it, but look at the new Honda Ridgeline.  If you can get over the el camino look, it's probably the perfect truck for about 90% of people that drive pick up trucks.

I have a tundra but I've driven both trucks and the frontier just wasn't comfortable. I didn't say anything and rental company apologized they had to give me the frontier one time lol

I was looking at the same pickups two years ago, a new Frontier could be had for a few thousand more than a used Taco with a lot of miles on it.  My mechanic talked me into a new Dodge Ram, just said get rid of it before you break 100k miles. I didn't want a new truck but out the door it was under $24k 6cyl nice power, avg 23-26 mpg. Good luck in your hunt. 

Why? Toyota has perfected rear drum brakes over last 30 years. My own truck has original drums,shoes,hardware,wheel cylinders. Take drums off,clean dust out,lube parking brake linkage every couple years. 212k miles. NO other make truck can duplicate that.

Drum brakes can be an issue when off roading. Heavy mud, water crossings can clog things up. They also don't dissipate heat as well which can cause issues.  Most people won't be affected or even notice the rear drums though.

Still, as much as a new TRD tacoma goes for these days, rear drums seems like a poor choice.

I myself have a 2005 tacoma trd sr5 v6. picked it up used 120k miles with one owner. The sale point for me was that mine had a toyota manufacturer replaced frame with all the paper work and it was obviously cared for. They are great trucks. However I do agree with something that someone said previously in this thread. Having rear drums instead of discs is a bummer in such a capable truck. If you can find one with decent mileage and good service records I'd go for it.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:02 AM, Bill163 said:

I was looking at the same pickups two years ago, a new Frontier could be had for a few thousand more than a used Taco with a lot of miles on it.  My mechanic talked me into a new Dodge Ram, just said get rid of it before you break 100k miles. I didn't want a new truck but out the door it was under $24k 6cyl nice power, avg 23-26 mpg. Good luck in your hunt. 

That's more or less what I'm doing except I'm leasing.  They lease so cheap, it doesn't pay to buy it.