youngsalt

Tacoma vs Frontier

26 posts in this topic

In the market for a used truck. Budget is around 20K and I’m seriously considering a Frontier or Tacoma. 

Absolute number one priority is reliability .

I’ll be throwing a kayak in the bed/rack but will not be towing anything. 

I will be driving on sand. Down here, our beaches are generally more packed than in NE and we rarely air down so I’m not locked into the TRD or Pro-4X packages.Currently in Texas but may move back to New England in the future so snow could be a consideration down the line. 

I currently drive a bare bones 2001 Frontier so almost anything will be a huge upgrade feature wise. 

20K will get me a 2018 Frontier SV with a V6 and 4WD and ~35K miles

With a Tacoma Id be looking at 2014 with a V6, 4WD and 80-100K miles. 

Really intrigued by the Tacoma, their reputation for reliability (esp pre 2016) and resale value. How would an older Taco with 50K more miles stack up to a Frontier?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Milage counts in my book, also condition. I had a 2004 Taco 4 x 4 sr5 trd. Great truck. I started to have a frame problem with her in 2009. Then I got hit in the tail gate and traded it. Both trucks are about the same size. I would go with the Nissan . Lower miles, same functions. Lower price and newer in years. You take care of the truck, it will take care of you.  When I was replacing a beach ride, I looked at Jeep Wranglers, 4 Runners, they were way more than I wanted to spend, with my price range of 20 k i was looking at 2 years older than the 2012 Jeep Liberty I bought with less milage . She had 31 k on her and was a lease turn in. Plus I got the Jeep for what they had in it. 5 years later with great maintenance plus , she's still running strong an is great on the beach. She's just as good as my Taco, and goe's where ever a 4 Runner will go.  I was in the business for 34 years.  Good luck.

Edited by hunter123

Tacoma.  My first car was a Tacoma and if my neighbor didn’t total it 20 years ago I know it would be running today.  I beat it up pretty bad off-roading submerged in water etc and it was never phased.  Just speaking from experience.  I’m sure Frontier is a nice vehicle as well don’t know much about them.  Good luck  

Taco's are nice trucks.  So are Frontiers.  Toyota has a large fan base and they hold their value. Well maintained both are reliable trucks.

I bought a Frontier pro-4x with 19k miles on it for the same price as a similar Taco with over 100k miles on it. The lower cost of a Frontier provides a lot of truck at a good value.  This is subjective, but the nissan felt more comfortable to sit in and seemed more roomy in the back seat (crew cab). My 11yo daughter also liked the back seat in the nissan better than the toyota. 

The 4.0 in the Nissan is throaty with a nice rumble in stock form. Toyota has a huge aftermarket to choose from to customize. Nissan is much more limited with aftermarket parts. Though the few places that support Nissans are very good at it.

If you get a used Frontier do the rear diff mod right away and change the rear oil. The rear diff breather is just a little check valve on the axle.  It sticks and allows water and dirt to get into the diff. It's cheap and easy to do.

Tacoma with Frontier in the distance. I belive al Nissan havethe CVT tranny, great transmission until you have issues, then its $10K to replace. I would seriously take a look at the Ford Ranger, you may be able to pick up a 2 year old for low $20's. Wish ya' luck if $$$ is not an issue go for Toyota. I looked for a year, couldn't get myself to pay $12-15K for a 10 year old truck with 100k on it.

1 hour ago, Spazzoni said:

No CVT in the Frontier.  Standard 5 speed auto or the 6 speed manual.

100 % right. cvt trans is only in the FWD, and stay away from them for the beach.

I have the Nissan at 116k currently.

Only major issue was snapped an exhaust manifold about 100k.  Odd and expensive repair.

Friends bought used and new Tacomas at same time I got my truck some happy and some not happy with them.

When I buy used I insist on a clean CarFax meaning the car was regularly maintained at a dealer for the life of the vehicle, no accidents, no major repairs.  I like a vehicle that just came off a 3yr lease through that dealership.  With these conditions and an inspection by me and my mechanic I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either vehicle.  Both known to go to 200k and beyond.

I’ve had both. Three Tacoma’s and one Frontier.   Dollar for dollar the Frontier is a better deal, but the Tacoma , which is more expensive is a better truck.

I'm currently researching this as well and am leaning towards the Frontier.  A used Taco is just too expensive.  The ranger comes with a Turbo 4 cylinder.  Why in the hell they put that engine in there is a mystery, it has no towing power.  I'd also look into the Chevy Canyon.

I too am also looking into a mid sized truck. Tacos are are just exspensive for what they are. I test drove a Ford ranger and i can honestly say it was horrible. Suspension sucked and the seats were uncomfortable. Also the back seat only folded up 3/4 of the way so hardley any storage. Now i have it narrowed down to the frontier and chevy Colorado/canyon. From my research the Chevy is maybe 3-5 thousand more but you are getting a more modern truck. Look at pictures of the interior of both and you will see what i am talking about. The inside of the frontier looks like its from 2010. I have one more person i want to talk too is my cousin. He is a mechanic for chevy and i want to see what majority of the problems both trucks have as he services everything. Best thing about him is hes not biased as he drives Lexus

I have a 2019 Frontier, had a 2004 Tacoma both from new.  I like both, but could never go back to Toyota after the frame issues.  I'm happy with the Frontier.  It's basically a 15 year old platform which I like because it doesn't have all the new safety and continence package.  No blind spot mentoring, no adaptive cruise control, no wifi, none of that stuff that's pretty useless to me.  You can't go wrong either way it's just whats going to make you not dread getting in it to drive and which hurts your wallet less.

I had a 2012 6-speed Frontier that I liked quite a bit.  I was also looking at Tacos, but couldn't make those work due to cost.  Nissans are "basic" and definitely have fewer bells and whistles than the taco, but it got the job done for me.  The only thing I'd say is that I wish it had another inch or two of stock ground clearance for riding in the deeper tracks.  I upgraded to another pretty basic Nissan Titan and have no regrets.  Just needed the extra space.

Bought a new 2007 Frontier SE crew in 2006 and still have it.  212 on it and just did basic recall repairs and the rotor and pads a few times. Beat the crap out of it for its whole life. Will still burn rubber for as long as you want. Always ran 285 tires with leveing kit from New. Definitely a solid truck for the money. Still sees the redline weekly. Still handles like a Ferrari.  There was a few issues like a broken leaf and worn ball joints and a broken spider gear at 200k but what would expect.  I have literally pounded this truck since new.  I would buy another again for sure.  Yes the yotas are nicer but everyone has one.  Hopefully nissan will redesign it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have to say neither.   I have had not the best luck with Nissan.  And seem to rust pretty bad so be careful with a used one.  I had one frontier and the frame cracked in Half and the bed used to bounce off the back of the cab.  

I wanted to love the Tacoma as I have had others I did like in the past (newest was a 2002).   In February I bought a 2017 Tacoma with 22,000 miles. Just FYI I paid 25k so for few thousand more you can get much newer and less miles.  I kept it for 2 months and brought it back to the dealer.  It was terrible.  Motors all make a ticking sound.  The transmission is **** and always searching for a gear on the highway and shuddering when you stop.  And is very slow and no power.   Keep looking and researching. But I can tell you now Toyota don’t make em like they used to.   Don’t be 20k into a 100k mike Tacoma 

Edited by Mikeinri