706On-a-Stick

Van Staal 275 Maintinence, Gaskets, Etc.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My VS275 just crapped out on me. She has become very tight when cranking. I checked inside the rotor cup, and near the handle seal for any signs of

of funny business. Everything looks good. I think one of the seals has given way and allowed water intrusion.

Anyway, I would like to do a full service on her while I am at it.

What do I need to do this? Where can I buy all the seals/gaskets for a reasonable price? Do I need to buy their special tools or can I use other tools?

Thanks guys.

I’ve had that issue before and a few drops of gear oil where the spool meets the flyer took care of it.  Lubes the upper seal.

If you search this site you will find a wealth of info on self service of the VS.  Guys use adjustable wrench to remove side cover.  Check it for water intrusion.

At present I go to Saltwaters B & T (Mike), W. Islip, NY for seals.  Should be able to pickup a self service kit there and it comes with the plastic side cover wrench.

1 hour ago, Clbay1971 said:

Van Staal makes a service kit and you’ll need a special tool to take apart the pinion gear if bearing is bad. image.jpg.a8e913248970844d4a24d94ce3fe230e.jpg

What he said...

On 5/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, 706On-a-Stick said:

My VS275 just crapped out on me. She has become very tight when cranking. I checked inside the rotor cup, and near the handle seal for any signs of

of funny business. Everything looks good. I think one of the seals has given way and allowed water intrusion.

Anyway, I would like to do a full service on her while I am at it.

What do I need to do this? Where can I buy all the seals/gaskets for a reasonable price? Do I need to buy their special tools or can I use other tools?

Thanks guys.

You need to disassemble what is referred to as the 'transmission" if you want to change the main seal and main seal carrier O-ring. The transmission is the pinion gear assembly. The tool shown below the factory self service kit in post #5 in this thread is produced by a retired machinist and sells for about a $100. PM me if you want the phone #. 

This is a link to a video showing the tool in use-

Marc  

13 mins ago, mml4 said:

You need to disassemble what is referred to as the 'transmission" if you want to change the main seal and main seal carrier O-ring. The transmission is the pinion gear assembly. The tool shown below the factory self service kit in post #5 in this thread is produced by a retired machinist and sells for about a $100. PM me if you want the phone #. 

This is a link to a video showing the tool in use-

Marc  

You forgot to mention the bearing...Might be his issue if it is rusted.

Great tool ...

31 mins ago, levari said:

You forgot to mention the bearing...Might be his issue if it is rusted.

Great tool ...

Hi Isaac!

I stand corrected. How you doing?

Marc

6 mins ago, mml4 said:

Hi Isaac!

I stand corrected. How you doing?

Marc

Hi Marc,

Doing very well. Hope you are doing as well. 
I moved out of NJ and I live now very close to the boulder fields.

This tool saved me ton of $$$. Paul is a great guy.. Give him my regards when you talk to him.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The pinion gear removal tool will remove the pinion assembly for all van staal reels and vsx reels? Correct?

I was considering doing a basic seal service, cleaning out the old grease, applying new grease and applying oil as needed. If that remedy the problem great. If not, back to the drawing board for the pinion assembly and bearing replacement.

Edited by 706On-a-Stick

On 5/16/2020 at 6:52 PM, RocksMeEasy said:

I’ve had that issue before and a few drops of gear oil where the spool meets the flyer took care of it.  Lubes the upper seal.

If you search this site you will find a wealth of info on self service of the VS.  Guys use adjustable wrench to remove side cover.  Check it for water intrusion.

At present I go to Saltwaters B & T (Mike), W. Islip, NY for seals.  Should be able to pickup a self service kit there and it comes with the plastic side cover wrench.

This did absolutely nothing which leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the bearing. I believe one of the seals has given way and saltwater has made its way into the housing or the grease has just depleted itself.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, 706On-a-Stick said:

The pinion gear removal tool will remove the pinion assembly for all van staal reels and vsx reels? Correct?

I was considering doing a basic seal service, cleaning out the old grease, applying new grease and applying oil as needed. If that remedy the problem great. If not, back to the drawing board for the pinion assembly and bearing replacement.

Correct..The pinion assembly is the same for vsx and vs.

There is a seal in the pinion assembly that you won’t be able to access without the tool.

Edited by levari