Crozzbow

North of Portland 2020

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I always tell myself it's a loss if I catch on my first outing because that means I was late.  Well, I lost last night.  After a half-hour of casting with no action (as expected), I saw some finger-sized minnows getting pushed to the surface 150 feet to my right in a marshy area north of Portland.  I threw a small popper towards the swirls and ripples and BAM - I'm on the board for my earliest striper catch.  Missed a few others on soft plastics too.  A great sign for a hopefully fruitful year!

6 hours ago, Col4bin said:

I'm on the board for my earliest striper catch.  Missed a few others on soft plastics too.  A great sign for a hopefully fruitful year!

Best of luck to you guy.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hit the river hard this AM, even under "Federal Supervision" with no results or signs.  There were 2 immature bald eagles on that branch as I pulled up to fish, but one took a dump and flew away.  I should have known that meant something...

IMG_7156.jpg

No eagle dumps that I noticed in my hood but micros have started to filter in 

along with herring, and pockets of smaller bait

another 80+ degree day tomorrow should improve the migration 

game on people 

Jim 

As luck would have it, my activity coordinator(wife) was in a good mood yesterday (Thursday). I was able to negotiate the lawn mowing efforts, that I expended for that day, for a block of time that I used to chase striped bass this morning (Friday). The morning’s outing somewhat mirrored same fishing action plan as the one I followed last Saturday.

It began at 8:15 am when there was enough water to float my kayak and it continued until my shoulders started hurting at 12:00 pm. Most of the fish I caught today were taken on two of my most well used tube and worm setups that I tipped with blood worms.  I focused mostly on towing these tube and worm setups in the shallow waters that are that are located just a few yards off a long shoreline that I tend to favor early in the striped bass season. That shoreline has been good to me in the past.   In addition, the time I took to sharpen the dull hooks on the tube and worm setups mentioned above considerably helped me to improve today’s hook up to no hook up ratio.

For instance, …  I caught more fish this time around using the same faded yellow kayak to tow tube and worms throughout the same shallow waters of one of my favorite hunting ground. However, this time I was able to entice 18 large striped bass to come out play with me. Most of the fish measured 20 inches or more and every one of them was a tough fighter that strongly resisted the efforts I made to bring them to the side of my kayak.

My right shoulder is going to see a lot of “Ben Gay” tonight.

5 hours ago, JL3393 said:

Has anybody fished anywhere in Midcoast area? I am up in the Waldoboro area and haven’t had any luck as of yet.

Fishing Bristol, nothing yet...

Well turns out my comment was a bit premature.  I tossed some casts off a local dock and got this 20" fish later this afternoon.  It's game one!!

IMG-7160.jpg

Edited by Roccus7

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/23/2020 at 3:15 PM, Roccus7 said:

Well turns out my comment was a bit premature.  I tossed some casts off a local dock and got this 20" fish later this afternoon.  It's game one!!

And, I see you were using your regular bait choice to bring this one in.

Good deal, hope a lot more show up your way.

Edited by Crozzbow

This morning's 04:30 epiphany.  How do you know it's too damn cold to go fishing?  When the 52 °F river is alive with sea smoke in LATE MAY!!!  33 °F at the house this AM.  When I got down to the dock I was greeted with this scene.

IMG_7163.jpg.2fdb885452fa56f57b8a9c4a4e72f0d5.jpg

Did I heed the warning?  Of course not, I've got my yearly case of "Striper Stupidity" and fished for 90 minutes.  Of course after a fruitless hour I was ready to head home and said aloud, "Come on, someone hit it" and as I pulled my plug out of the water a bass came up just to let me know they were around.

Needless to say thoughts of quitting were quickly extinguished and I spent another 30 minutes practicing my casting.

46 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

This morning's 04:30 epiphany.  How do you know it's too damn cold to go fishing?  When the 52 °F river is alive with sea smoke in LATE MAY!!!  33 °F at the house this AM.  When I got down to the dock I was greeted with this scene.

IMG_7163.jpg.2fdb885452fa56f57b8a9c4a4e72f0d5.jpg

Did I heed the warning?  Of course not, I've got my yearly case of "Striper Stupidity" and fished for 90 minutes.  Of course after a fruitless hour I was ready to head home and said aloud, "Come on, someone hit it" and as I pulled my plug out of the water a bass came up just to let me know they were around.

Needless to say thoughts of quitting were quickly extinguished and I spent another 30 minutes practicing my casting.

At least the dock ramp wasn’t frosty 

Reminds me of a similar day a few years back. Low tide and crazy steep ramp to my dock had a light glaze on it 

Slipped and slid on my ass all the way to the dock

loosing my coffee, glasses and some skin off the Old tookus 

I did though catch a fish that day

back up to 80 midweek. And fish are moving in strong 

j