Crozzbow

North of Portland 2020

Rate this topic

122 posts in this topic

Enough things came together last night, That I was able to officially open up my personal fishing season for Striped Bass this morning

It all started when, I successfully negotiated the required block of time with my activity coordinator then started gathering the required equipment for the outing I planned for this morning. After packing that gear into the bed of the truck, I then manhandled my faded yellow Hobie kayak up onto the truck’s racks which in turn automatically started my “what am I missing” worry emotions.

After going over the list twenty times, I started to feel comfortable that I had everything I needed for this morning’s outing. (Of course, It wasn’t but that is another story).

I finished the day by setting my alarm clock for 4.30 am with the assumption it would be early enough to get my kayak on the water in time to catch the rising of the morning sun.

(Of course, It wasn’t but again, it just adds to another story in the making).

As it was, I was able to launch the kayak into the water at 6:30 am, under dark clouds with a cold stiff wind to my back. From there I spent the next three hours trolling a couple of tube and worm set ups, behind the kayak, along the shorelines that have often been good to me during the early striped bass fishing outings of my past. All I can say up to that point is "You could not have convinced me that there was any striped bass to be found in the area I was fishing".

However, just when I was ready to call it a day and head for my kayak takeout point, the fishing poles started bending.

The first two fish stripped out several yards of spooled fishing line before the lines went slack and they got away. I was able to hook the third fish but, I lost it at the side of the kayak. I only got a few seconds to look at it, but its length appeared to be in the neighborhood of twenty some odd inches. I brought the last two fish into the kayak just long enough to take their measurements, which turned out to be in the mid twenty inches for both of them.

From there I had to kicked myself for not taking the time last night to negotiate, another hour or two on the water, from my activity coordinator last night.

Oh well, there's always another day.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Damn it, now I have to start getting serious.  I was thinking I had another week to continuing playing cod C&R...

I played a bit last night while checking to see if there were any alewives at the head of tide, there weren't, but they are in the harbor.  Maybe tomorrow AM...

Edited by Roccus7

Good on ya Crozzbow

gave a half hearted effort the am with the hour I had and got nada.  Spent the day moving dirt, mowing and painting.   Yay 

your success has me more excited about tomorrow!

cheers

jim

Gave 'da hood the full-court press today, knowing full well that it would probably be for naught.  Well my intuition was correct as the calendar is not in the 20s of May yet, but the water temp was > 50 where I fished, my 2 favorite early season spots. 

Still a nice morning to be out on the water...

Put in a solid effort this am as well out of my home port 

small bait balls of small bait here and there 

that’s it as far as I could find 

fished most warmer upper flat areas as well as two rivers

small poppers, swim shads, sluggos, buck tails,  fin-s, bay minnows,  and the the boat sink 

nada

I was out prospecting for longfin squid/macs on the incoming midcoast tide   6 hours before dawn this morning.  Thinking it's  still early for them,  not to mention stripers.  I wasn't  expecting what i saw.

I've been a member here for 13-14 years now.  I browse but rarely post.  The last 5yrs I've been on the mid coast prior to that ....on Great Bay.   last night, i was taken back by the bait and fish i saw, i wanted to share that... it has changed my expectation of the early season here in maine

I brought my plug box, but wasn't expecting striper action, this early.  I do cast, but mostly  the last weeks I have been, prospecting bait spots in different envirements.  Small minnow traps, eel traps etc..   armchair biology mostly. Getting ready type stuff...fishing foreplay

I was jigging under bright lights and  a blazing headlamp shining on the water.  3 bass slowly cruised into the light within a few feet of my jig, unfazed.  Here's the kicker, they weren't small schoolies.  

Early in the night i heard giant swoosh, and turned to see the water boil.  It was too big for a school sized fish, I'm not in sturgeon territory, so i assumed it was a seal.  Then ofcourse, i see 3 fish unfazed by my shadow and light, in the 20's. Maybe 1 was over 30 inches!??  cruise by.  Goose bumps.  It was exciting too see.  I couldn't sleep much today

I switched over, and threw everything for the linesides.  Just before  sunrise i watched  schoolies chasing small 6 inch plus eels into the rocks.  

My early season expectations have changed.  I'll be out again tonight.

D

5 hours ago, jimbighead said:

Put in a solid effort this am as well out of my home port 

small bait balls of small bait here and there 

that’s it as far as I could find 

fished most warmer upper flat areas as well as two rivers

small poppers, swim shads, sluggos, buck tails,  fin-s, bay minnows,  and the the boat sink 

nada

Don't feel too bad.

Check out my "Addendum Report"  from yesterday ( 9/16/2020)

Launched the kayak at 6:30 am

The striped bass were virtually non-existent during the first three hours of fishing.

Fishing started to pick up during the fourth hour of fishing when the outgoing tide started to gain momentum.

All five fish that I engaged with yesterday were found tucked up close to the shoreline or another above water structure. It took slow trolled scarlet colored tube tipped with half a blood worm to entice these fish to come out to play.

The loss of the first three fish were the result of me not double checking the sharpness of the tube hooks before started using them on Saturday. When I did look them over, I found the hooks on both tube and worm setups to be extremely dulled from last year’s use.

The only reason I was able to bring the last two fish onto my kayak was probably the result of the extra hard hook set I was using by then.

And to put a real damper on the day, I had to remove myself from the fishing activity just as action the was starting to build up as I had  just promised my Activity Coordinator (wife) that I would be home for lunch.

1 hour ago, ability said:

I was out prospecting for longfin squid/macs on the incoming midcoast tide   6 hours before dawn this morning.  Thinking it's  still early for them,  not to mention stripers.  I wasn't  expecting what i saw.

I've been a member here for 13-14 years now.  I browse but rarely post.  The last 5yrs I've been on the mid coast prior to that ....on Great Bay.   last night, i was taken back by the bait and fish i saw, i wanted to share that... it has changed my expectation of the early season here in maine

I brought my plug box, but wasn't expecting striper action, this early.  I do cast, but mostly  the last weeks I have been, prospecting bait spots in different envirements.  Small minnow traps, eel traps etc..   armchair biology mostly. Getting ready type stuff...fishing foreplay

I was jigging under bright lights and  a blazing headlamp shining on the water.  3 bass slowly cruised into the light within a few feet of my jig, unfazed.  Here's the kicker, they weren't small schoolies.  

Early in the night i heard giant swoosh, and turned to see the water boil.  It was too big for a school sized fish, I'm not in sturgeon territory, so i assumed it was a seal.  Then ofcourse, i see 3 fish unfazed by my shadow and light, in the 20's. Maybe 1 was over 30 inches!??  cruise by.  Goose bumps.  It was exciting too see.  I couldn't sleep much today

I switched over, and threw everything for the linesides.  Just before  sunrise i watched  schoolies chasing small 6 inch plus eels into the rocks.  

My early season expectations have changed.  I'll be out again tonight.

D

What general area you in? 

25 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

What general area you in? 

Within the special management zone, down front, on a well lit dock, shallow.  Fish were between the float and rocky ledge shore .

Been hoping for fresh calmari and a head start on stock piling frozen bait for after july 1st.  I hadn't even removed the second treble from my plugs from last season...that's how confident i was when i headed out

41 mins ago, ability said:

Within the special management zone, down front, on a well lit dock, shallow.  Fish were between the float and rocky ledge shore .

Been hoping for fresh calmari and a head start on stock piling frozen bait for after july 1st.  I hadn't even removed the second treble from my plugs from last season...that's how confident i was when i headed out

GREAT to see you posting here, been a long time.  Hope all is well in your world.  I'm thinking that my summer excursions are gonna be VT mountain streams for brookies, rainbows & browns in the rivers, smallies in the ponds and bigger bass and Notherns in Champlain.  Then again, who knows.  Your post really does get the blood pumping.  

Just good to hear you're out there and at it.

Carl

5 mins ago, harlycarly said:

GREAT to see you posting here, been a long time.  Hope all is well in your world.  I'm thinking that my summer excursions are gonna be VT mountain streams for brookies, rainbows & browns in the rivers, smallies in the ponds and bigger bass and Notherns in Champlain.  Then again, who knows.  Your post really does get the blood pumping.  

Just good to hear you're out there and at it.

Carl

Funny how life is carl.  Where we end up, how we get to where we are going.  Grateful, for a life that allows me to walk out my door and fish 100 nights a year. 5th season here and still finding new spots.  

Good for you, Bruddah.  Life CAN be good, despite what it throws at us.  Still have your #, will catch up sometime down the line after this Apocalypse thing settles a bit.

Glad to see everyone in these crazy times.  I've been out twice- my girlfriend ended up with some by-catch of a prehistoric variety.  Quite the tussle on medium light spinning gear and 20 lb braid.