fishhappy

Best Plug for High Waves and Strong Current

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, ASrod said:

Lead head swimbait combo or a heavy bucktail. Bottle plugs if you’re feeling juicy.

My guess is 3oz and up? Have you ever tried the north bar popper with the fins?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 min ago, fishhappy said:

Nope. And when it gets stupidly rough in my area I can get away with around 2.5-3oz and bottles but it’s probably shallower than what you’re doing. If it’s 8’ deep at the end of a cast that’s a lot.

Edited by ASrod

38 mins ago, fishhappy said:

The northbar flying squid popper is kinda big and doesn’t cast that great in the wind. Go with something small but still heavy. 

Iv'e fished inlets and areas where nothing else works except a 4oz. bucktail sometimes 5oz. In those conditions you describe the wind will be a factor when throwing a weighted rubber but a bucktail can cut through the wind.

6 mins ago, fishtheeast said:

The northbar flying squid popper is kinda big and doesn’t cast that great in the wind. Go with something small but still heavy. 

Out of Tsunami, Yo Zuri, and Tsunami, can you think of a good cheap one? I have almost no experience in casting plugs  into this kind of water.

6 mins ago, prican1 said:

Iv'e fished inlets and areas where nothing else works except a 4oz. bucktail sometimes 5oz. In those conditions you describe the wind will be a factor when throwing a weighted rubber but a bucktail can cut through the wind.

Thanks to Dan the Tinman I stocked up on a few of these.

2 mins ago, afterhours said:

Bait size, depth, which part of water column you targeting. Wind and strong current usually means heavy stuff.

At high tide it’s around 9, I’ve seen fish swimming in the waves

49 mins ago, ASrod said:

Nope. And when it gets stupidly rough in my area I can get away with around 2.5-3oz and bottles but it’s probably shallower than what you’re doing. If it’s 8’ deep at the end of a cast that’s a lot.

Are you talking about the bottle popper?

I read an article where the author put a buck tail under a bubble float and let the waves give the buck tail action. You just let the waves bob it upside down. It seemed interesting. Any thoughts?

Just now, afterhours said:

Forgot to ask how far out are the fish? Any idea what they're chasing?

I can’t tell, it’s about 50 yards out, I’ve seen the prey  jump out of the waves. It could be mullet.