Dan Tinman

Pop ups. Now on the right side.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

All of a sudden the annoying pop ups started on the left side of the screen this week.  They stopped for a day or so and now they're on the right side.  Is there any way to stop this?

Dan, they aren't considered popups, I'm seeing them as well. If they are causing you any problem on the right side - blocking content you are trying to access or some other problem, please let me know and I'll have the network folks address that issue. Right now they are running an experiment with the right side "slide" over ads. They haven't caused me any type of problem yet - yes, I see them...but they aren't blocking content like they were on the left side. If they are causing you problems, please let me know the details and we can address the problems specifically. I'm going to let them finish their experiment as long as the ads aren't actually stopping folks from doing something or reading something.

TimS

They are annoying and do block access to some things I'd like to see.  If this is some sort of temporary thing That's OK.  If it's a permanent feature a lot of us I think will complain.

I don't know if anyone else is getting this one or if it's targeted at me for some reason, but there's one with a giant plug of ear wax that's so unpleasant. 

On 5/16/2020 at 1:46 PM, Dan Tinman said:

They are annoying and do block access to some things I'd like to see.  If this is some sort of temporary thing That's OK.  If it's a permanent feature a lot of us I think will complain.

I agree. It's like watching television and being bombarded with commercials. I know how to find something that I need buy when I need to buy it. I don't come to the site to be harassed by these ads.

On 5/16/2020 at 0:40 PM, TimS said:

Dan, they aren't considered popups, I'm seeing them as well. If they are causing you any problem on the right side - blocking content you are trying to access or some other problem, please let me know and I'll have the network folks address that issue. Right now they are running an experiment with the right side "slide" over ads. They haven't caused me any type of problem yet - yes, I see them...but they aren't blocking content like they were on the left side. If they are causing you problems, please let me know the details and we can address the problems specifically. I'm going to let them finish their experiment as long as the ads aren't actually stopping folks from doing something or reading something.

TimS

Any idea how long this experiment will run?  The ones on the right block access to the send button when doing a PM.

l had the same problem today but with edge as my browser l put in a new hard drive and installed windows 10 pro l only had edge as default browser popups here and on other sites, l had popups on the right side covering new post, l don't use edge junk with nothing but adds, now using Chrome and Firefox no popup, Chrome as my main browser. l don't know if this means anything but it's working for me.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:30 AM, Dan Tinman said:

Any idea how long this experiment will run?  The ones on the right block access to the send button when doing a PM.

Click the close button on the top of the ad if it blocks the PM send button - I did notice the same thing earlier today. I clicked "close" and then could send the PM.

Not sure how long the experiment is going on but I'm going to ask them to wrap it up...

TimS

That doesn't always work.  Sometimes the add goes all the way to the top and you can't access the close button.  Not trying to be a PITA, just letting you know what's going on.

+1 on what Dan just said . The full screen adds on the right cant be closed out . For now I've reduced the size of my screen to view . Using cheap readers to see is kinda a pain. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

I’m going to force the network ad guys to reduce the maximum size of the ad - I still haven’t seen an ad that blocks my view or impedes my typing on my phone or laptop - but I empathize for those it’s causing a problem. My apologies it’s gone on so long...