Hammerheadman

Mystery fish

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Question for you Drum fisherman, Last year I was drifting for fluke when the wind stopped and slack tide occurred. I noticed a pod of fish  that I first thought were weeds My daughter with much younger eyes said they are fins. I put on a Hopkins and casted into the group .I foul hooked one and the fight was on .well after a while I just grabbed the spool because I did not want to get spooled and the line parted. I thought it was a cow nosed ray but my daughter says they were fins. Any one have an idea what was on. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't know when/where you were fishing, but it could have been black drum.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I were fluke fishing on the Fourth of July in 65 feet of water off Fire Island, NY when I looked up and realized that there was a big school of good-sized fish stretching from nearly boatside out for maybe 50 or 60 feet.  They were black drum, and spooky.  As soon as I reached over to pull a rod with a bucktail off the rocket launcher, they immediately took off, never letting me get off a cast.

Edited by CWitek

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

Want to try "Who's on first?"

What's the guy's name on first base?

It's played on a loop at the baseball hall of fame. 

37 mins ago, MikeMc said:

What's the guy's name on first base?

It's played on a loop at the baseball hall of fame. 

To this day it's still the funniest stand up routine I've ever seen.  

7 hours ago, CWitek said:

Don't know when/where you were fishing, but it could have been black drum.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I were fluke fishing on the Fourth of July in 65 feet of water off Fire Island, NY when I looked up and realized that there was a big school of good-sized fish stretching from nearly boatside out for maybe 50 or 60 feet.  They were black drum, and spooky.  As soon as I reached over to pull a rod with a bucktail off the rocket launcher, they immediately took off, never letting me get off a cast.

Between the Ambrose and Sandy Hook Channels , In the N.Y. skyline shadows

15 hours ago, Hammerheadman said:

Between the Ambrose and Sandy Hook Channels , In the N.Y. skyline shadows

Might well have been drum.  A friend of mine runs charters in that area, and has, on occasion, put his clients on schools of big drum, mostly during late June, maybe very early July.