Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, charles s said:

I’ve used these for a season and a half and I’m extremely happy with them...I fish hard and I’m really tough on my gear so a lesser quality product would be toast by now  ... also the first pair I had bent slightly so I sent them back and they sent me a new pair ... they have a lifetime warranty ... for the money they’re worth every penny ...

How and where did they bend?  

2 hours ago, RL Bucktails said:

How and where did they bend?  

They twisted slightly and the tips didn’t meet exactly anymore, we’re talking a few millimeters , not enough to be an issue but i figured since they were under warranty and they were a brand new product at the time they should know about it so I contacted them and they sent me a new pair once I sent mine back ... and by new pair, I mean a new sheath and pliers ... How I did it, not sure honestly I didn’t do anything super abusive, but I put them to through the paces  for sure...  

3 hours ago, charles s said:

I’ve used these for a season and a half and I’m extremely happy with them...I fish hard and I’m really tough on my gear so a lesser quality product would be toast by now  ... also the first pair I had bent slightly so I sent them back and they sent me a new pair ... they have a lifetime warranty ... for the money they’re worth every penny ...

Same for me. I fish 5-6 nights a week and I haven’t had a problem other than original cutters which were replaced for free. 

29 mins ago, Goldy said:

Same for me. I fish 5-6 nights a week and I haven’t had a problem other than original cutters which were replaced for free. 

What I did notice is that you don’t need to squeeze hard to cut with the cutters ... I’m ham fisted sometimes so try to be conscience not to squeeze the piss out of them   

I've had my Donmar TI for over 17 years. I do wash them after every trip to the salt. I also spray the hinge with WD40 occasionally. The only drawback, is treble hooks get caught in the notch near the tips. I have used the cutters for mono, and small trebles up to 1/0.

I forget when they actually came out on the market, but , I bought the 5 1/2" and the 7 inch Titanium Van Staal pliers. they spent countless underwater hours on my hip wetsuiting for years.  Now they have to be about 16+years old and are in great shape.  I have replaced the cutters several times.  A new set of cutters out of the box will cut braid easily, but if you need to cut a hook out of someone or something, they wont do braid anymore at the least.  I had to use the cutters to cut a hook from a friends hand, that was the end of those cutters.  I replaced the cutters and now carry a small pair of bolt cutters inthe truck and another on the boat.  Most times these are never even rinsed or simply get repetitive use and abuse before they are washed.  They have never failed to open and still spring to action like new.  My .02  Everyone will have a different need and or budget.  Good luck.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:45 AM, RL Bucktails said:

These titanium Dancos look promising at $160.

IMG_0806.JPG

Same as you.  Picked em up at my local.  Still have those old school Bass Pro Titaniums going but figured I would insert these in the line up and give a shot.

A6EF84B7-3887-47C4-B196-7A084B8DF9C2.jpeg