MarineLife

Curiosity

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So I’m looking to upgrade my VSX 100 to a VSX150 and I’m looking at the St Croix avid 8ft medium heavy or heavy. My question is does anybody know if his combo will balance well. I’m looking for it to be a pretty versatile combo. I mostly fish inshore but I’m looking for a combo that can be used for throwing artificial in the surf. Thanks in advance 

A 150 on an 8’ Avid would balance great. Personally, I use a 150 on a 9’ Lamiglas Infinity 1-3 but I plan on throwing it on a 7’ for the kayak when I take the occasional trip.

24 mins ago, MarineLife said:

Would the 8ft heavy 1-3 be too much for inshore? 

If it means anything, my general duty Chesapeake bay setup is a 150 on a 9’ Lamiglas Infinity 1-3. Last year I used a 10’ Avid and a VSX250 exclusively, this year I’ll be using the 250 on a GSB1321M for targeting bigger fish while my 9’ setup will cover everything else. When I fish off piers I’ll throw the 150 on a 7’ and call it a day.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:27 PM, MarineLife said:

Thanks brother one more question do you think the vs 150 is too light for for throwing jigs at cobia off a pier 

I know a lot of guys who use the 200 for that application, but I’ve never targeted cobia before. Maybe @Grayson could chime in?

39 mins ago, ASrod said:

I know a lot of guys who use the 200 for that application, but I’ve never targeted cobia before. Maybe @Grayson could chime in?

I just picked up a 200 a few weeks ago, I can't say that I've seen a 150 used for it, seen plenty of kings caught on them. Most people throw 3oz jigs for the most part.