jsbergen

Shock leader/chunking rod question

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hey folks hope everyone is doing well. 
I’ll get right to the point.  I use a 10ft Spinning chunk rod w/50lb braid. 5/6oz sinkers occasional 8oz
- How long and what pound test do you make your shock leader ? Is it Mono, leader material or floro?

- Which knot do you prefer when joining the two? 
- How often do you retie this knot when NOT catching ? I know to retie often with a lot of action! 
Thanks - Joe 

I like to use a long enough leader to get a couple wraps of it around my spool for when I’m casting. It’s much easier on your finger than braid when casting heavier weights. The general rule of thumb is ten pounds of breaking strength for every ounce of weight and I’d just use mono I don’t see a reason to use flouro for a shock leader. As for the knot I like the fg knot it’s an awesome knot and goes through the guides very nicely. With an fg unless something happens to my line I honestly won’t retie the entire trip if I don’t have too but I will constantly check the knot to be safe. 

What rod r u using for 8oz sinker? For 50lbs braid, u must be after something big so i suggest to go for 60 or 80 lbs leader. I use rolling swivel to joint to line, not line to line join.

For a shock leader that will be connected to the mainline and on the reel at the start of the cast, for a heavy chunking setup, i use about 10 feet of 60 pound trilene big game mono attached to my 50 pound braid with an alberto knot. I chunk with a stiff 9 footer so 10 feet is all I need. longer rods you will probably want a longer shock leader. Generally my rule of thumb, is whatever the weight of what i will be casting, in ounces, i multiply that by 10 for the pound test of the leader. i would recommend regular mono for the shock leader because it is more flexible and will handle better going onto the reel. I retire after every fish

Posted (edited) · Report post

Depending on my setup, i use 30,40,55 and 70lb braids, but never use any shock leader or needed it.

Edited by AZNHunter

1 hour ago, Pierce said:

What rod r u using for 8oz sinker? For 50lbs braid, u must be after something big so i suggest to go for 60 or 80 lbs leader. I use rolling swivel to joint to line, not line to line join.

I mean the 50lb braid is often used for chunking & a lot of times even heavier. 
I have a Tica rod rated 3-8oz that I use & like I stated i occasionally need an 8oz sinker/like today actually! 

7 hours ago, Pierce said:

You use a rolling swivel to joint the 2 lines? Interesting I’m trying to visualize this? Do you have a picture?

I always use 30 or 40# Ande mono for my shock leader. It was tied to the running line with a double uni knot. Check occasionally for abrasion but usually it would last day of bait fishing. I used the same set up on 2-6 oz or 8-10oz rods. The shocker was long enough to reach from the rig to several turns on the reel. Good luck. 

23 mins ago, tristate said:

I always use 30 or 40# Ande mono for my shock leader. It was tied to the running line with a double uni knot. Check occasionally for abrasion but usually it would last day of bait fishing. I used the same set up on 2-6 oz or 8-10oz rods. The shocker was long enough to reach from the rig to several turns on the reel. Good luck. 

Thanks for the input by everyone. I  Have never used a shock leader Since switching to braid however long ago. 
Had  a couple reasons to make the switch and so far this year I really like it a lot. I can cast farther, more control and do t worry about the braid cuts. 
however, I will say I haven’t caught as many fish while using a shock leader. Hopefully it’s not for a reason 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The lightest I go is 50 pound mono shocker to 50 pound braid. I use an FG knot to join them and have the knot and 5 to 8 turns of mono around the spool. The mono runs from the spool  up to the tip top and back down to the first guide. I have rods measuring from 11'4" to 13' 2". I don't pendulum cast. I have heard those that do use ten times the weight of the sinker in pounds. In other words an 8 ounce sinker would use an 80 pound shocker.

I fish only conventional and find the FG knot lasts longer than the leader does. I retie when the leader becomes frayed or too short to use.

Spinning reels are problematic with tied shock leaders because the knot will rattle through the guides. You also wind up lob casting with a spinning reel because you really can't hold 8 ounces of lead and a Bunker head or larger bait with your index finger.

Marc

Edited by mml4

On 5/15/2020 at 11:04 PM, jsbergen said:

Hey folks hope everyone is doing well. 
I’ll get right to the point.  I use a 10ft Spinning chunk rod w/50lb braid. 5/6oz sinkers occasional 8oz
- How long and what pound test do you make your shock leader ? Is it Mono, leader material or floro?

- Which knot do you prefer when joining the two? 
- How often do you retie this knot when NOT catching ? I know to retie often with a lot of action! 
Thanks - Joe 

I assume you are talking Spinning?  If so, with 50 pound braid Ill just use an Albright Special and 3' 60 poud mono leader, unless Blues are out, then I will up it to 80 or 100 pound.  I'll retie every few trips but always check the knot before I head out. 

With using braid on spinning for throwing more than 3 or 4 oz the main reason I use a mono shock leader is to prevent cutting my index finger during the cast.  I use only 30 pound braid and 50 pound mono. The 50 pound mono has a lot more diameter and won’t cut.  I usually use Fg knot.  Like was said when chunking using spinning gear I’m only lobbing just over the breakers.  I use conventional if I need to lean into the cast and when fishing for brown sharks.