Ed Z

Help: Lost St. Croix Legend, lost in Trustees Road parking lot

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Went to go fishing tonight, and, my rod is not in the truck. Last night I must have laid it on the side of the SUV to open the back, it was dark and I was tired, didn't see it and drove away.

Went back tonight hoping, but armies of people porgy fishing so for sure it was found.

Anyone seeing one for sale on Craigslist or ebay, please let me know in case I miss it. I'm also contacting the tackle shops in the area. Hopefully someone is honest and will drop it off at Kenny's store. Lesson learned.

St Croix Legend Surf: LSS90MM2, Penn Slammer III reel.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you. Reward offered, $300. The Penn Slammer III has a distinctive gold knob. There have only been porgy fishermen there the last few days, who don't use that reel, so hopefully it will be easy for me to spot when I go back today.

Edited by Ed Z

Damn hope you get it back. I got my wright and mcgill blair wiggins surf rod stollen with my shimano saragosa 10,000, years ago.

Edited by KL

Ed... i hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm thinking you will not see it again. That would break my heart.

30 years ago I had a JP Sauer & Son 16 guage side by side with modified and full choked barrels and the nicest piece of walnut with more engravings than you can imagine. I came out of the woods and put the gun on the roof of the car and drove off.

I feel your pain but i figure i won't get stuff back but then if it does show up im that much more pleased. 

Dang it if i don't hate doing stupid things that I can't remedy.  I hope I'm not rare but i would return it as fast as i could. Do we tell the cashier she gave us to much change? I hope so. Good luck.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:06 PM, Ed Z said:

Went to go fishing tonight, and, my rod is not in the truck. Last night I must have laid it on the side of the SUV to open the back, it was dark and I was tired, didn't see it and drove away.

Went back tonight hoping, but armies of people porgy fishing so for sure it was found.

Anyone seeing one for sale on Craigslist or ebay, please let me know in case I miss it. I'm also contacting the tackle shops in the area. Hopefully someone is honest and will drop it off at Kenny's store. Lesson learned.

St Croix Legend Surf: LSS90MM2, Penn Slammer III reel.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Stop beating your self up over it. I know it's an expensive combo but this happens to everyone. You will be ok. 

Thanks guys. I'm looking at it this way: I loved the rod, this gives me a chance to try something different that I might otherwise not have tried.

I put flyers up offering a $300 reward, called the local tackle shops, etc. I still keep an eye out on the beach for the distinctive gold knob on the reel that porgy-fisherman rarely use. Not much else I can do. 

Edited by Ed Z

That sucks man, we've all been there.

I make it a habit to do a walk around the vehicle whenever I'm loading or unloading gear. Easier to do when you have a partner to check with you and remind you to do it.

44 mins ago, planter said:

Ed... i hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm thinking you will not see it again. That would break my heart.

30 years ago I had a JP Sauer & Son 16 guage side by side with modified and full choked barrels and the nicest piece of walnut with more engravings than you can imagine. I came out of the woods and put the gun on the roof of the car and drove off.

I feel your pain but i figure i won't get stuff back but then if it does show up im that much more pleased. 

Dang it if i don't hate doing stupid things that I can't remedy.  I hope I'm not rare but i would return it as fast as i could. Do we tell the cashier she gave us to much change? I hope so. Good luck.

The cardinal rule of gear management. Never put anything on your roof. 

Had a new Samsung phone a few years back, week old, new otterbox $50 case etc., laid it on my roof while loading the yak and gear. Shut the hatch on my car, but it wouldn't shut, just bounced back open.

Phone was wedged between the car body and the door, snapped nearly in half.

NEVER PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR ROOF!

It was a hard lesson learned. I've now made a checklist, so in the wee hours of the night when I'm dead tired and its dark I don't make the same mistake. I also don't want to leave my mirage drive on the beach after day of kayaking.