jolly mon

Your first real job

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

I was on a other sight looking at some random old pictures when one popped up of a Gas Station and gas was 54.9 and that's what it was when I got my first job with a real paycheck ,, Pumping Gas checking oil washing windshield and airing up tires , Got my first paycheck and thought I had money till I saw all the deductions , Hated taxes ever since . So what was your first real Job

Worked with my father when he was moonlighting doing HVAC work. Collected a paycheck from the time he opened the business in 1973 when I graduated 8th grade until I retired almost 6 years ago.

Worked on a farm during the summer from 12-14, then painted houses for the next 4 summers.  

worked in my dads upholstery shop, 7 or  8th grade through 12th,

did custom car and boat interiors,  motorcycle seats ect.

first after high school job was a helper doing appliances,  started the week after graduation 

Political commentary on a fishing forum.

A nickle a post, but only during working hours.

It was a sad job, and I pity the fool that does it now.

Golf course grounds maintenance then school grounds maintenance.  Will never forget green side up advice when laying sod.

Worked for a contractor at 15, mostly painting / roofing during the summer.

Then I worked at a Shell station during the gas crisis, odd/even days, I had weed and gas, I was a god. 

Picker at a uniform company at 14 years old, $150 a week under the table. Bought a Basketball hoop, pair of Air Jordans and a Sega Saturn that summer. 

Grew up on a farm.   Summer I was 14 I got a paying job at the neighbors farm. Next summer I worked at a fancy horse barn shoveling shite and giving pony rides for the lofty sum of 3.50/hr.  

If we are defining it as getting paid to do a job, then mine was delivering newspapers.  Delivered for a local free weekly paper.  200 houses.  Made peanuts.

I worked in an Italian deli in HS (9-12 grade). 

I bought a Mustang when I was 17 and had money, beer, grass, and tail. The deli owners son had a B&T next door, which I also worked at. He was a great bass fisherman and caught my first 50# with him before I turned 18. Those guys were routinely catching large that the shop scale bottomed out at 55#, 65” fish were no uncommon fishing Eaton’s Neck (boat drifting worms) in the mid-late 70’s. 

My very first job was doing yard work and grocery shopping at 11 for an old Jewish lady that moved to Huntington. She and her schizophrenic daughter had no car. So I rode my bicycle to Waldbaums to do her weekly shopping and cut her grass. I was like a son to her. 
Her husband was well to do doctor in the Princeton area and socialized with Albert Einstein. She had pictures of him hanging in her foyer and if you knew Albert, he didn’t allow many people to photograph him. I sat for hours listening to her stories. RIP Sarah Dunn. 

had lots of jobs as a kid...none were paying..they called them chores back when...then I got a real job laying flagstone for a guy....25 cents an hour...but twinkies were 10 cents and lobster rolls were dollar twenty five cents