Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

My motor is having issues bogging out as I increase throttle.  Watch at 14 seconds.  It’s a new prop so I don’t think it’s a prop huh issue.  After this happened a few times the motor eventually stalled and I couldn’t get it to start again.  

any idea what’s causing it? 

IMG_5323.mov

2 hours ago, MagDarter said:

My motor is having issues bogging out as I increase throttle.  Watch at 14 seconds.  It’s a new prop so I don’t think it’s a prop huh issue.  After this happened a few times the motor eventually stalled and I couldn’t get it to start again.  

any idea what’s causing it? 

IMG_5323.mov

Sounds like a fuel issue.  Drain fuel tank and examine fuel and tank for contamination.    Check for blockage at screen inside tank if it has one.  Replace fuel-filter and add fresh  fuel. 

Check fuel line and fittings carefully for cracks or  fish hook holes holes it  maybe sucking air. If that doesn't fix it then

change spark plug's.  If salt water motor maybe look at thermostat if it has one. it could be running to cold fuel.

If that doesn't do it the check fuel pump and carb for gunk.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Check your fuel lines and the bulb. Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel.

Bulb is hard and the carb was cleaned and we tuned the throttle adjuster... I’m not sure where my fuel filter is on the motor it’s a 15hp Johnson but wondering if maybe the filter is clogged.

also wondering if it could be a fuel pump or electrical issues maybe a bad spark plug even though I replaced them or maybe the coils are bad?  

3 hours ago, suburban86 said:

Sounds like a fuel issue.  Drain fuel tank and examine fuel and tank for contamination.    Check for blockage at screen inside tank if it has one.  Replace fuel-filter and add fresh  fuel. 

Check fuel line and fittings carefully for cracks or  fish hook holes holes it  maybe sucking air. If that doesn't fix it then

change spark plug's.  If salt water motor maybe look at thermostat if it has one. it could be running to cold fuel.

If that doesn't do it the check fuel pump and carb for gunk.

I’ll check tank and lines again.  I just pulled the carb off recently and cleaned it wasn’t gunked up at all.  I’ll also put fresh spark plugs in again.  This one has me stumped.  

Is that a long shaft motor on a short transom

I see the prop  blowing the water up and out of the v behind you. Take a picture of your cavitation plate to the bottom of your hull. 

1 hour ago, 757saltwater said:

Is that a long shaft motor on a short transom

I see the prop  blowing the water up and out of the v behind you. Take a picture of your cavitation plate to the bottom of your hull. 

IMG_5574.MOV

88AF86B1-D7A7-4FD5-9F4F-0E099C51F9FC.jpeg

FD932651-0BCA-4BEB-8871-2DEAE4F048B6.jpeg

E6833E37-4A0D-4C87-A26B-FBC9709CE2A3.jpeg

66748AA3-50E4-4131-8B33-BBF1EB9BF312.jpeg

Looks low maybe 3 inch or more. . With the motor tuck in towards the  transom  the cavitation  plate should be level  (bottom plate on lower unit) with bottom of boat.  Your motor is basically bogging it self down from poor motor height .

26 mins ago, 757saltwater said:

Looks low maybe 3 inch or more. . With the motor tuck in towards the  transom  the cavitation  plate should be level  (bottom plate on lower unit) with bottom of boat.  Your motor is basically bogging it self down from poor motor height .

So if I adjust the motor to make it level with the bottom it should stop bogging out?  

Any advice on the carb leaking fuel?  I just removed it and cleaned it but when I press the primer ball it leaks. 

7 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I posted a video below my carb is leaking fuel when I press the bulb 

Engine is too low, but thats not the issue.

I'm going with fuel as well.

How old is the fuel line?  Had a similar issue on a motor up at our lake house, line was delaminating on the inside from ethanol.  The inside was peeling away and almost acting like a check valve when it was really pulling fuel.

42 mins ago, makorider said:

Engine is too low, but thats not the issue.

I'm going with fuel as well.

How old is the fuel line?  Had a similar issue on a motor up at our lake house, line was delaminating on the inside from ethanol.  The inside was peeling away and almost acting like a check valve when it was really pulling fuel.

The fuel line is old but didn’t think it was an issue because it’s priming just fine and fuel is definitely getting to the carb 

16 hours ago, MakoMike said:

That is it.  You got a vacum leak in you fuel system and air is getting in.

Does the bulb stay hard?

I bet if you start squeezing the bulb when it bogs it will stop the bogging.

All it takes is a tiny bit of air in the line and it does that.  Replace the line and fittings and you should solve the problem

If the carb is leaking then you could have a bad seal on the bowl letting air get to the float and, again, fuel starving the motor