Loading a Redfin with mercury

Rate this topic

pete214

Relax with everyone getting their panties in a bunch every time Mercury is mentioned.
- First, liquid mercury is only known to be dangerous via inhalation in small/hot poorly ventilated areas.  

-In a well ventilated room  there is LITTLE danger for inhalation esp with the tiny amounts being used to load. 
- I know we have mercury in water issues honestly don’t see this amount of Hg contributing to it. 
- the action of Hg loaded Redfins ( and others) is out of this world awesome and nothing can top it. Once you use a Hg loaded plug you will see the “ juice is worth the squeez. 

1458A852-DF32-4A5F-ACE1-3731F71884DA.jpeg

25 mins ago, jsbergen said:

Relax with everyone getting their panties in a bunch every time Mercury is mentioned.
- First, liquid mercury is only known to be dangerous via inhalation in small/hot poorly ventilated areas.  

-In a well ventilated room  there is LITTLE danger for inhalation esp with the tiny amounts being used to load. 
- I know we have mercury in water issues honestly don’t see this amount of Hg contributing to it. 
- the action of Hg loaded Redfins ( and others) is out of this world awesome and nothing can top it. Once you use a Hg loaded plug you will see the “ juice is worth the squeez. 

1458A852-DF32-4A5F-ACE1-3731F71884DA.jpeg

I don't know where you got this information that liquid mercury is safe. It is not safe. Mercury is the most dangerous in a liquid form because it vaporizes at room temperature making it very easily inhaled. I strongly suggest you not mess with it. It is for a good reason it is not used as it was years ago before we understood the dangers of it...And do not drink, inject or inhale Clorox, Lysol and other disinfectants. Don't listen to morons!

11 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

I don't know where you got this information that liquid mercury is safe. It is not safe. Mercury is the most dangerous in a liquid form because it vaporizes at room temperature making it very easily inhaled. I strongly suggest you not mess with it. It is for a good reason it is not used as it was years ago before we understood the dangers of it...And do not drink, inject or inhale Clorox, Lysol and other disinfectants. Don't listen to morons!

I never said mercury was safe however it can be used Safely  in the proper conditions.  Ventilated area / gloves and face mask & your good. Conscious of the task being done it’s easy to not inhale it.   We are talking about TINY amounts in CC’s here.  
Not a factory sweatshop with machines pumping out toxins. 

On 5/15/2020 at 7:12 AM, sytheteacher said:

I would never load any lures or any item with mercury because if it cracks open you will be contaminating the water...Bad enough we use lead..

Then why do we use lead?  And mercury vapor lamps?  And florescent lightbulbs?

18 hours ago, valentine said:

Just out of curiosity, where the heck does an average person have access to a supply of mercury?

thermostats, barometers, and the garages of any elderly neighborhood handyman.  

9 hours ago, fishhappy said:

...The mercury will go straight through your skin into your blood stream and right to your nerves. 

Metallic Hg is very, very poorly absorbed through the skin.  You could eat it and not show appreciable levels in your blood.  Inhalation of the vapor is the concern. 

7 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

I don't know where you got this information that liquid mercury is safe. It is not safe. Mercury is the most dangerous in a liquid form because it vaporizes at room temperature making it very easily inhaled.

I think everyhting he posted was accurate.  I didnt see him state it was safe.  

Metallic mercury (elemental mercury) is very poorly absorbed through the skin.  Its neither water nor lipid soluble.  In fact its poorly absorbed if you eat it.    There are mercury salts that are much more readily absorbed through the skin, but these wouldnt be what one is using to load a redfin.  Pure Hg (elemental Hg) It has a relatively high vapor pressure and therefore the Hg vapor is a much greater concern for anyone "playing" with it.   I'd suggest being outside and having sulfur on hand.  Any spilled Hg can be dusted with sulfur while collected for disposal, which will greatly reduce the risk of vapors.  Spill Hg in a small room will find cracks and crevices in the flooring and will remain, slowly evaporating over time.  This is the greatest inhalation risk scenario.   Work over a large tray or work outside.  

Ecologically its of concern because oxidation and reaction with other compounds can result in inorganic mercury (and Hg-salts) and because bacteria can metabolize it into methyl mercury, both of which are far more bioavailable and can bioaccumulate.  This poses almost no realistic risk to the user, unless under exceptionally bizarre scenarios.  It does pose a risk to humans via bioaccumulation and magnification in the food chain.  As does lead.

From an individual health perspective, there's much less risk to the user in loading a few redfins once every 5 years than in handling & storing old fuzzy lead sinkers every few weeks.

You are also safer eating mercury than in having a little spilled in your trunk, driving around breathing it for the next 2 years.  

I am not saying Hg is 'safe', but few things are.  I am not advocating its use, because there are items that are almost equally as beneficial that have zero risk to the user.  So why bother.  However Hg is treated as if its "plutonium" or instant human and ecological death, which is both incorrect and somewhat ironic being that almost all of us have  old lead stuff sitting and laying around our fishing bags, smearing and getting dusty, and we seem to hav little problem using disposable softbaits while fishing.  

To the OP, use BB's or mineral oil.  

Edited by 55555s

The Hudson River has been polluted for the late 150 years since all the factories and smelters dumped all their contaminants including mercury. When they dredge it makes it worse because we are disturbing the bottom and when we test the fish they say children can't eat it and adults can eat only three ounces a month... This also goes for saltwater species of fish...So let's just be wise and protect our environment. All my freshwater split shots are made of tin and the small weights are all pieces of scrap brass.. I don't want to go on an ego trip on SOL ,I want to just go fishing and enjoy myself in a healthy and safe enviromoent...

1 hour ago, ghost said:

If you even consider hg (mercury) you have been around it too long, go see a doctor.

My final post regarding HG. I’m not advocating for Hg just facts only. If

you literally took 10 minutes to research  mercury you would see rather quickly you are the only confused one here.  A couple of CC’s of Hg is NOT deadly like I keep hearing. But it’s ok because you are all just confused.  
Most all poisonings takes place from exposures to fumes from much larger amounts of HG usually from machines & they are repeated exposures. Not tiny CC amounts lol. There’s little fumes resulting in a few drops. In all the research I’ve done I have not become aware of a single posioning when dealing with tiny CC amounts. Read more folks. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 7:03 AM, pete214 said:

When loading a redfin with mercury. How would you seal it and how heavy would you make it for a 7 inch redfin. Thanks

nah man,,don't do it,bad stuff for you,the fish and your family.

avoid that at all costs.

I don't even use a therm with that in it.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,