coastalfreak

The Rallying Cry of the Fishermen

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Recently on Instagram the multi species fishing faction found an account that was ran by two high school kids. These kids were set out to kill as many Bowfin as they possible could, and claimed that they were bad for the bass fishery. Additionally, these kids showed videos of them killing these fish in the most disgusting, unethical ways. A video I saw showed them slowly crushing a live bowfin time death under a truck. 

Needless to say, the fishing community delivered. Not only has the account been taken down, but South Carolina DNR is looking into the case. I’m so proud of the fishing community for taking action. It’s disgusting what these kids were doing. 

There was something similar out there with two teenagers torturing a wounded deer in Pennsylvania.  They were charged with felony animal cruelty; one just pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges, the other is facing trial on the original charges.

There was also the case of three idiots dragging a shark at speed and otherwise doing gratuitous harm to fish.  They were brought up on animal abuse charges as well, and convictions ensued.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sick enough to torture an animal

Stupid enough to film it.

Castration would be a great solution

Edited by Captain Ahab

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

There was something similar out there with two teenagers torturing a wounded deer in Pennsylvania.  They were charged with felony animal cruelty; one just pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges, the other is facing trial on the original charges.

There was also the case of three idiots dragging a shark at speed and otherwise doing gratuitous harm to fish.  They were brought up on animal abuse charges as well, and convictions ensued.

I remember the shark video. Was terrible. 

Honestly, and I don’t know if I’m proud or ashamed of this, but I text links and screenshots of anyone on Instagram holding a Florida tarpon out of the water that’s clearly over 4 feet. All of these idiots having a platform to benefit from and simultaneously show off to countless other idiots who follow in the same silly and harmful path doesn’t sit right with me...this is no exception. 

So today, if you hold a Tarpon out of the water for a pic, you are a criminal that should be turned in and prosecuted, but tomorrow, if some government official somewhere says it's ok, then you're a totally legit member of society, a fellow angler, a "sportsman," who respects our wildlife by practicing Catch and Release?

It's one thing to do something about animal cruelty, but when we've reached the point in this country where our fellow Americans, our fellow "men," are turning one another in for holding a fish out of the water for a pic before throwing it back, just what have we become?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

So today, if you hold a Tarpon out of the water for a pic, you are a criminal that should be turned in and prosecuted, but tomorrow, if some government official somewhere says it's ok, then you're a totally legit member of society, a fellow angler, a "sportsman," who respects our wildlife by practicing Catch and Release?

It's one thing to do something about animal cruelty, but when we've reached the point in this country where our fellow Americans, our fellow "men," are turning one another in for holding a fish out of the water for a pic before throwing it back, just what have we become?

It should be common sense not to hold a fish bound for C&R out of the water, especially a large specimen since their bodys can't always support themselves out of water.  I'd like to see the same laws in place for striped bass, it would be a big step towards minimizing floaters after a 2 minute photoshoot up on the rocks.  Unfortunately we do need common sense laws like this that cater to the lowest common denominator since not everyone is playing with a full deck.

Edit: Re-reading this, I wanted to clarify that this isn't a personal attack and the full deck comment was directed at those who are mishandling these fish

Edited by CoffeeHangover

11 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

It should be common sense not to hold a fish bound for C&R out of the water, especially a large specimen since their bodys can't always support themselves out of water.  I'd like to see the same laws in place for striped bass, it would be a big step towards minimizing floaters after a 2 minute photoshoot up on the rocks.  Unfortunately we do need common sense laws like this that cater to the lowest common denominator since not everyone is playing with a full deck.

Edit: Re-reading this, I wanted to clarify that this isn't a personal attack and the full deck comment was directed at those who are mishandling these fish

The point of my post was that "men" are actually taking photos and turning in fellow sportsmen as criminals for lacking a bit of common sense when it comes to handling a fish.

What have we become?

Or, more specifically, since I don't act like that, what have some of "you" become?

5 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

The point of my post was that "men" are actually taking photos and turning in fellow sportsmen as criminals for lacking a bit of common sense when it comes to handling a fish.

What have we become?

Or, more specifically, since I don't act like that, what have some of "you" become?

As much as I'd like to trust everyone to know the responsible way to handle fish, I can't.  I don't like having a law for this and a law for that any more than the next guy but it's a shared resource and the guy next to me killing fish for glory shots on social media is cutting into my fishing as well as everyone else's, not to mention the next generation's enjoyment of the resource.  The folks who do this aren't sitting there laughing and congratulating themselves for killing fish needlessly, a lot of them just don't know any better or are just apathetic and if no one says anything to them they'll never change.  

2 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

As much as I'd like to trust everyone to know the responsible way to handle fish, I can't.  I don't like having a law for this and a law for that any more than the next guy but it's a shared resource and the guy next to me killing fish for glory shots on social media is cutting into my fishing as well as everyone else's, not to mention the next generation's enjoyment of the resource.  The folks who do this aren't sitting there laughing and congratulating themselves for killing fish needlessly, a lot of them just don't know any better or are just apathetic and if no one says anything to them they'll never change.  

So the solution for someone that just doesn't know any better (your words), is to have their fellow sportsman take a photo of them, turn them into Fish and Game, and have them treated as criminals?

I'll ask again, what have we become?  What have "men" become?

12 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Honestly, and I don’t know if I’m proud or ashamed of this, but I text links and screenshots of anyone on Instagram holding a Florida tarpon out of the water that’s clearly over 4 feet. All of these idiots having a platform to benefit from and simultaneously show off to countless other idiots who follow in the same silly and harmful path doesn’t sit right with me...this is no exception. 

And as for you, you should be ashamed.

10 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

So the solution for someone that just doesn't know any better (your words), is to have their fellow sportsman take a photo of them, turn them into Fish and Game, and have them treated as criminals?

I'll ask again, what have we become?  What have "men" become?

And as for you, you should be ashamed.

I see your point, it would be better to educate them without having to bring the law into it.