robc22

Interesting lil poll........

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, robc22 said:

If you tag your stuff and sell it to the public......What's the difference???

Yes but that's assuming they harvested the oysters from legal areas. We properly iced, not in the sun. And the fisherman is telling the truth.

Vibrio is a tricky thing. A little bit if vibrio can become a lot of vibrio real fast if  the oysters are improperly handled. 

That poll is kinda crap. Put more popular fish like salmon, swordfish or cod and not tuna twice. Blue fish... like asking which steak.

top round, porterhouse or flank steak.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:51 AM, bdowning said:

I would rate all the species in that list above stripers in terms of eating qualities. 

Better than Striper..............

Flounder, Sea Bass, Cod, Trigger, Tog, Tuna, Wahoo, Sword, Mahi, Tile.

Also Perch and Blowfish, but they're a lot of work (cleaning) compared to Striper.

About the only thing they're better than is Bluefish.

I was told selling off boats is temporary till the virus is over then the permits are pulled..who knows ?.we bought scallops in harwich as well but you needed to call in your order first then wait for the time an date to pick them up...$15.00 lb...not many years ago I could go to stage harbor an do the same for 7.00 a lb but then the state shut that off...no retail permits.

2 hours ago, capesams said:

I was told selling off boats is temporary till the virus is over then the permits are pulled..who knows ?.we bought scallops in harwich as well but you needed to call in your order first then wait for the time an date to pick them up...$15.00 lb...not many years ago I could go to stage harbor an do the same for 7.00 a lb but then the state shut that off...no retail permits.

It really depends on what species you are selling and whether it shucked or not. Also what type permit you have......The rules are confusing.........

On 5/21/2020 at 9:25 AM, robc22 said:

It really depends on what species you are selling and whether it shucked or not. Also what type permit you have......The rules are confusing.........

Rob. Do fishermen sell

“un- shucked” sea scallops off their boats?

The gonads (and most other tissues) of domestic sea scallops can carry the toxin causing PSP (paralytic shellfish poisoning), which is brought on by algal - usually dinoflagellate - blooms. The adductor muscle, what is marketed as the "scallop" here, doesn't. I don't know what is and what isn't allowed "off the boats" but would think that you would be taking the same risk as you would by consuming any unregulated shellfish.   

I'm thinking twice about eating any striper caught in the Merrimack this summer considering all the sewage that overflows into the river and the fact that scientists claim the beer flu virus is found in fecal matter.

8 mins ago, shuyak said:

I'm thinking twice about eating any striper caught in the Merrimack this summer considering all the sewage that overflows into the river and the fact that scientists claim the beer flu virus is found in fecal matter.

Maybe that’s what makes them taste good.

4 hours ago, west tide said:

Rob. Do fishermen sell

“un- shucked” sea scallops off their boats?

They do.......There is a live market for sea scallops......These scallops are caught by day boats........not really sure about the regs they sell under......i know of one sandwich boat that was working the live scallop market........

4 hours ago, robc22 said:

They do.......There is a live market for sea scallops......These scallops are caught by day boats........not really sure about the regs they sell under......i know of one sandwich boat that was working the live scallop market........

Wow that is great news

I’ve only shucked bay scallops.