robc22

Interesting lil poll........

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

We discuss sometimes the popularity of stripers as table fair for the none fishing public.

I copied this poll from a local cape cod/SE Mass. FB seafood lovers page. All sorts of peps on this page. Bass is pretty darn popular!

5ebddc76afa00_Cape_Cod_Local_Seafood(1).png.63684cb9d0b521167c5019e070bf4a06.png

Rob, I saw that poll the other day. I was wondering too how much demand there would be for fresh striped bass this year before that poll came out.

I think with the pandemic people are looking to buy local. I purchased some scallops from a local boat out of harwichport. They posted about selling them and sold out their trip in less than an hour. Some boats are selling haddock, some selling squid, others scallops. The fishermen are doing a good job marketing themselves. 

As this drags on, it will be interesting to see what happens with the commercial bass season. Especially since some of the fisherman are setting the price instead of going through a dealer. I am happy for them, since they are seeing all the money instead of losing some cut from the middle man. I plan on purchasing more scallops too. They were awesome. 

I'm a little surprised at that. I feel like a lot of non fishing seafood eaters wouldn't be that into Striper. Maybe it's getting more popular in restaurants as specials when available.  

8 hours ago, bradW said:

Rob, I saw that poll the other day. I was wondering too how much demand there would be for fresh striped bass this year before that poll came out.

I think with the pandemic people are looking to buy local. I purchased some scallops from a local boat out of harwichport. They posted about selling them and sold out their trip in less than an hour. Some boats are selling haddock, some selling squid, others scallops. The fishermen are doing a good job marketing themselves. 

As this drags on, it will be interesting to see what happens with the commercial bass season. Especially since some of the fisherman are setting the price instead of going through a dealer. I am happy for them, since they are seeing all the money instead of losing some cut from the middle man. I plan on purchasing more scallops too. They were awesome. 

Brad,

Does this mean licensed comm fishermen can sell their bass directly to the public?

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Brad,

Does this mean licensed comm fishermen can sell their bass directly to the public?

As far as I know these guys must have wholesale dealer permits, but it doesn’t take much to purchase that. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Brad,

There is also native americans selling bass/herring etc to the public which far as I can tell is legal. Although no one understands those rules lol

I would rate all the species in that list above stripers in terms of eating qualities. 

4 hours ago, bradW said:

As far as I know these guys must have wholesale dealer permits, but it doesn’t take much to purchase that. 

They need a permit but Marine Fisheries waived the fee because of the corona.

You at the new station Brad?

4 mins ago, patchyfog said:

They need a permit but Marine Fisheries waived the fee because of the corona.

You at the new station Brad?

Yes we rotate between both stations. Good for those guys not having to pay that fee. I hope more people get on that train and sell for themselves. The dealers have been screwing fisherman since there were dealers...

Fresh caught haddock right off the boat. From the waters of Massachusetts Bay to my belly In less than 4 hours...yumyumyum

B888E51A-8894-40EF-8647-819A63A47632.jpeg

On 5/15/2020 at 11:06 AM, bradW said:

Yes we rotate between both stations. Good for those guys not having to pay that fee. I hope more people get on that train and sell for themselves. The dealers have been screwing fisherman since there were dealers...

I'm all for it too.  Until some shady guy sells  oysters loaded with vibrio and sickens half the town.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:56 PM, bob_G said:

I'm all for it too.  Until some shady guy sells  oysters loaded with vibrio and sickens half the town.

Mark I agree about shellfish. There needs to be tracking in place to ensure that shellfish are being harvested in clean areas. However, in regards to finfish, there is no such reasoning. I stand by my statement on the dealers

1 min ago, bradW said:

Mark I agree about shellfish. There needs to be tracking in place to ensure that shellfish are being harvested in clean areas. However, in regards to finfish, there is no such reasoning. I stand by my statement on the dealers

Brad, 

Believe me, if access to to those finfish and scallops were closer to me I'd be buying it as well.  We haven't had a nice piece of fish in months. You're fortunate to have it in your backyard.

4 hours ago, bradW said:

If you tag your stuff and sell it to the public......What's the difference???