Cerealkilla43

Is it necessary to fill my reel?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I always fill my reel 400yds of line. The extra 100yds than normal is for knots (trimming n re-tie) and casting my bait out. Once the catch of a life time grab that bait, u know u got 300yds to play with. Better be safe than sorry, that for me. Tight line.

6 hours ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

Hmm that definitely makes sense. I'd probably be better off just filling it with the 600yrd spool instead of the 300yrd spool than that way I don't have to back spool everything and can just stop after I fill it to where I want it. 

I wouldn't do this, thats a lot of line that will never see the water. Use the 300 yrd spool backed with mono. Use enough mono to get it close to the lip. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close enought.

12 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

You certainly don't need 600 yds for the surf. 300 with a little mono backing is plenty.

I'm curious what people say about line retrieve rate with a full spool vs partially filled spool. Is there any effect, or is the line retrieval constant no matter how much line is on the spool?

There has to be a difference in my opinion. I would think since the gearing and handle revolutions don't change and if retrieval speed remains constant, that a single revolution of the handle will put less line on a smaller diameter spool than a larger diameter spool. Similar to why your drag pressure increases as spool diameter decreases 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If money isnt an issue just fill it, whatre you saving? like 25-30 bucks?  Its an 800 dollar reel to begin with.  If youre fishing hard structure youll probably have to keep retying anyway, plenty of line to work with even if you lose a bit to a snag.

I did sell my 250 because I think its just too big for anything we see up here in the surf.  I used mine when I was fishing for sharks and tarpon down in florida which could max that spool out, but I just dont do that anymore.  The biggest bass up here isnt going to be able to spool even a 200 size VS on an open beach.  

Edited by bbfish

Put electric tape on the back, fill it to the lip with braid, and you'll be set for many years. If it gets frayed, then cut back or flip the braid.  If it gets lower than you like, then add some mono backing. There's no sense in spending money every year or two on new braid when it's all right there on your spool.  Also keep in mind that if you under fill, then you will cut into your max distance.  That's not a big deal for some, but if that matters to you, then I'd definitly make the investment in a larger spool of braid.  Also just to alleviate concerns about wind knots- I've filled my VSX 200 to just under the lip years ago and haven't had a single cut back due to wind knots.  I've had a small loop form once or twice, but they pulled right out.  I doubt it was due to over filling the spool.

I've always loved the argument;

oOoOo GeT dA vS275 over Vs200, iT hoLdS 600 mOrE yDs oF 40lB bRaIDD!!

But in all seriousness, 300yds of braid is more than enough for a reel.  Just fill it with enough mono backing..

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

nah, you don’t need to fill it all the way, depending on what you are going for 300yrds is usually a good number with a mono leader to follow up! 

light mono backing 300yd of braid to a 1/4 inch of the rim of the spool youre set, or tape and pack it with braid, cost more but you'll be set 

Edited by AudAtkins

In my opinion, 600 yards is too much line to put on a spool. I use Spiderwire Stealth and purchase in 200 yard spools for my VS 150's and 300 yard spools for my 200's. I fill to approx. 1/8" of the top of the spool.  don't forget braid is much thinner than Mono and consequently your distance will still be further than when you used say 15/20 lb Mono.  No fish that I will ever catch from the surf is going to spool me.  A question now arises. After a session do you cut back say 10 feet or more.  Over time you will use up a good portion of your Braid and have to reverse or use the old or use a new spool of braid.  I get around this when I tie 50lb braid to my 30lb line shocker.  At the end of a session or two, or depending upon the success of my session I cut off the shocker and re tie a new. I usually cut off about a foot of line also.  Sure beats losing 10 or 15 foot of line after each session. I would like to add one more thing about distance.  Many get wrapped up in This Distance Thing.  I don't and find that Most of my fish are caught close to the beach.  Just get your lure over the tops of the waves and drag it through The White Water as it subsides. This is now my Opinion.  Any other opinions will be welcomed. As I always say, We Can All Learn Something from one another.  BTW-Ask Crazy Bill how to tie the Uni to Uni Knot Shocker.  He taught just about everyone in Montauk how to do so. Good Luck and Please Stay Safe.

sb

No distance difference if it's spooled to the lip or 1/8in back. I  put 250 or so yds on top of mono backing and never fill to the lip, don't want to deal with wind knots or retying in the dark. The extra 50yds is used to retie the tip section, uni to uni 8ft or so after each outing, keeps the spool full. Next season reverse the braid. Never had a striper or bluefish that ran more than 50 or so yds, so even 250yds is way more braid than needed.