Cerealkilla43

Is it necessary to fill my reel?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I just got a van staal vs250 x-series. It holds 600/50 braid or 350/20 mono. I normally fill all of my reels, but 600yrds seems like a waste of line. I have a pack of 300yrds and a pack of 600yrds of sufix 832 braid 50lb test. Is the 300yrds enough or should I fill it up with the 600yrds? Will be used exclusively in the surf! Thanks!

You certainly don't need 600 yds for the surf. 300 with a little mono backing is plenty.

I'm curious what people say about line retrieve rate with a full spool vs partially filled spool. Is there any effect, or is the line retrieval constant no matter how much line is on the spool?

as Kima said,back it up with mono and the rest with your braid.

as for seazen-21 asks,yes the rate becomes slower the more low your spool is,the fuller it becomes the faster the rate of line coming back on it becomes.

it's a variable rate from the cast to the next cast.

HH

2 hours ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the quick replies!!!!

Now your next question is how much mono to put to fit the braid to the rim of a spool.

18 mins ago, sandworm said:

Now your next question is how much mono to put to fit the braid to the rim of a spool.

Not sure what that even means lol. You worded that a little weird. "Fit the braid to the rim of a spool"?

20 mins ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

Not sure what that even means lol. You worded that a little weird. "Fit the braid to the rim of a spool"?

Basically how much monofilament backing you should add to your reel so that your braid fills the spool up to the lip. 

I have found that if I fill the spool to the rim, I get more birdsnests.  I remember seeing someone's recommendation to fill a spool with your braid, then fill with mono.  Then unspool and reverse to fill with the determined amount of mono and your braid. I found an 1/8 inch before filled spool prevents bird nests.  I only have a few years under my belt, so maybe some more experienced fisherman will agree or disagree. 

2 mins ago, Tucker 63 said:

I have found that if I fill the spool to the rim, I get more birdsnests.  I remember seeing someone's recommendation to fill a spool with your braid, then fill with mono.  Then unspool and reverse to fill with the determined amount of mono and your braid. I found an 1/8 inch before filled spool prevents bird nests.  I only have a few years under my belt, so maybe some more experienced fisherman will agree or disagree. 

I think your referencing was my post from a few weeka back 

"Use a drill and an empty line spool to strip your reel. Fully spool your reel with braid. Attach the mono to the braid and finish filling the reel spool to the desired amount of line. The mono should now be on top with the braid underneath. Use an empty spool and drill to strip the backing and braid from the reel spool. Reverse the line onto another spool so the mono is now on top. Attach the backing and fill your reel spool. 

The whole process is a bit time consuming and tedious going back and forth between spools but it ensures a perfectly filled spool each time"

Here's the thread, theres some good info in there.

Like you said I don't fill completly to the rim. I eyeball it and generally get it pretty damn close. I very rarely have wind knots on my freshly spooled reels. Just make sure you keep pressure on the line as you fill your spool to keep your line tight and even.

reel on the 300 yards of braid, then the mono backing over that until the spool is filled to where you want it, then reverse the line

13 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I think your referencing was my post from a few weeka back 

"Use a drill and an empty line spool to strip your reel. Fully spool your reel with braid. Attach the mono to the braid and finish filling the reel spool to the desired amount of line. The mono should now be on top with the braid underneath. Use an empty spool and drill to strip the backing and braid from the reel spool. Reverse the line onto another spool so the mono is now on top. Attach the backing and fill your reel spool. 

The whole process is a bit time consuming and tedious going back and forth between spools but it ensures a perfectly filled spool each time"

Here's the thread, theres some good info in there.

Like you said I don't fill completly to the rim. I eyeball it and generally get it pretty damn close. I very rarely have wind knots on my freshly spooled reels. Just make sure you keep pressure on the line as you fill your spool to keep your line tight and even.

That was it. Great info. Thank you. 

51 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Basically how much monofilament backing you should add to your reel so that your braid fills the spool up to the lip. 

It's a must to fill up to the lip? Was just gonna do a layer or 2 of mono and the 300yrds of braid. That's probably not gonna be anywhere near the lip but I didn't see a reason why that would be a problem as long as I have enough line to fish with.

9 mins ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

It's a must to fill up to the lip? Was just gonna do a layer or 2 of mono and the 300yrds of braid. That's probably not gonna be anywhere near the lip but I didn't see a reason why that would be a problem as long as I have enough line to fish with.

i've found that if you dont have enough line on the spool you get a flutter towards the end of your cast ..which in turn costs you a few of those extra distance yards on your cast...could just be a me thing tho

28 mins ago, willcodfish said:

i've found that if you dont have enough line on the spool you get a flutter towards the end of your cast ..which in turn costs you a few of those extra distance yards on your cast...could just be a me thing tho

Hmm that definitely makes sense. I'd probably be better off just filling it with the 600yrd spool instead of the 300yrd spool than that way I don't have to back spool everything and can just stop after I fill it to where I want it.