Ben Lippen

Cutting up an outdoor hot tub for disposal

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Harwich dump someone dropped of about a 26" it still looks like you could pick it up and put in the water and put the mast up!

It amazing what some people just throw away!

On 5/16/2020 at 1:57 AM, alaskansteve said:

couple of ads on craigslist and both will be gone.

I’ve had “free boat” on CL off and on since last summer. A few calls no lookers. 

1 min ago, CapeDave said:

Harwich dump someone dropped of about a 26" it still looks like you could pick it up and put in the water and put the mast up!

When the yard bill or your buddies yard is going on the market, and your wife hates the boat; much cheaper to get rid of the boat. LOL

20 hours ago, Kml said:

Burning fiberglass does give off quite a special aroma. 

Shag, is the keel on the sailboat made out of lead?

Made of lead, actually remember when it was poured.

1 hour ago, Shag said:

Made of lead, actually remember when it was poured.

Put is on CL as free lead. Take it away and it is a lifetime supply. 

2 hours ago, CapeDave said:

Glass boats are a glut on the used market because they've been building them for 60 years or so! Gotta remember though those hulls are pretty immortal but nothing else is.  It's like a brick house that needs a lot of work.

Buddy who is a contractor gave me a refrigerator that they took out of a house they were working on. Giant stainless mother. I ask him.. you’er sure it works? Ya he says. Took 4 guys to move it.

Had to take the doors and door stops off to get this thing in my house. Plug it in. No work. Thanks buddy.  Cut that thing up on my kitchen floor on a tarp by myself. Sawzal what a Tool 

3 mins ago, Tbird650 said:

Buddy who is a contractor gave me a refrigerator that they took out of a house they were working on. Giant stainless mother. I ask him.. you’er sure it works? Ya he says. Took 4 guys to move it.

Had to take the doors and door stops off to get this thing in my house. Plug it in. No work. Thanks buddy.  Cut that thing up on my kitchen floor on a tarp by myself. Sawzal what a Tool 

Did you check the fuse! LOL!

1 min ago, gellfex said:

Did you check the fuse! LOL!

Lol. For sure. 

I spend a day or two looking into fixing it. I took the back off and saw that it had been work on before. 2nd fail in such a new appliance made me feel like it was a lemon. I had a commercial fishing buddy come over and have a look with me. I don’t remember the brand but it was junk. I had a lot going on at the time, my dad had just pass away and I had a lot on my plate.dumping money and Fixing a broken frig when I had a working one was not on the list.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In my experience, most things that aren't wood are normally easy prey for a plugin 7inch grinder with a metal blade. From chain link and posts to tile, to brick, to concrete, to pipes and wires, just get that bad boy spinning and have at it. Harbor Freight makes one that is very reasonable and useful for the occasional destruction of unwanted items.

Edited by Seakarp
additional info.

32 mins ago, Seakarp said:

In my experience, most things that aren't wood are normally easy prey for a plugin 7inch grinder with a metal blade. From chain link and posts to tile, to brick, to concrete, to pipes and wires, just get that bad boy spinning and have at it. Harbor Freight makes one that is very reasonable and useful for the occasional destruction of unwanted items.

For fiberglass the high RPM disk is less desirable vs the recip saw as it makes and spreads far more very nasty dust.  I occasionally work on glass and carbon fiber objects for work, and  if I use a die grinder or Dremel with a cutting disk I try and put a vac hose right on it as I work. And wear a mask & long sleeves.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, Shag said:

Brought this up a few moths ago. Tub is still in place, glad the manual for cleanup is here. 24 foot sailboat is next. Please have photos. Thanks! 

I was thinking about the sailboat on our neighborhood walk... turn it into or market it as a garden bed/yard decoration but the glass is probably a turn off.

7D72CC48-F648-4DC6-BE7D-D617D9718132.jpeg

On 5/14/2020 at 5:56 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Who's done it?

What tools did you use?

Disposal where?

I'll tell ya my story after ya tell me yours.

Not outdoor but ... Once I decided to save on bathroom demo and told my GC I would remove fiberglass shower stall/tub combo by myself.  It was the hardest money I've ever earned/saved. He was laughing hard when I was telling him how I struggled.