chrome sweet chrome

BREAKAWAY SL-2 SPIN LINK CLIPS "THE GOOD ONES!*

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello fellow striper junkies.

I am looking for some help here to figure if the ORIGINAL BREAKAWAY SL-2 SPIN LINK CLIPS are now a thing of the past.

I used to be able to get them online through eBay or at Saltwater Edge back east but now it seems that the patent has been copied and/or shared by a guy in Texas who took the original clip and had it made in China out of inferior materials.  The original clip was solid and strong and without issue when it came to plug and jig swapping.  The new style however, is a nightmare and has cost me a couple of plugs and 50lb stripers... 

I bought a 100 pack from (Nickaway from Breakaway USA) this year on Amazon and he said they were exactly the same but powder-coated black.  He lied to me over the phone and I'm pissed about eating the 100 pack of worthless SL-2 clips he sold me.

The metal is NOT the same.  It is a cheaper softer steel.   The powder coating comes off and becomes a sand-like grit which rubs/abraids my mono shock leader, and worst of all, the bend in the clip that goes through the eye of a jig or plug is slightly shorter and at a different angle and the width of the clip and therefore the space inside the clip is much narrower than the old style clip so there is less room for the eye of a hook or jighead or plug to insert to.  breakawayrealandfake.jpg.f3af95c5cd81948e9e1270af7664b7a9.jpgThis makes swapping plugs (and especially Redfish Magic Strike King jig heads) an absolute nightmare.

The good ones were a shiny stainless steel and the new ones are a bronzed nickel or other inferior metal covered up with the 'new and improved my ass...' black powder coating.

I'm sure all of these so-called improvements are reduction adjustments to save production costs and increase profits.... just like manufacturing in China instead of the USA (or England in this case) It is no wonder China owns our country :( (political rant over)

I talked with another member on here who experienced the same thing so I'm not dreaming this S#!^ up.

To the casual Fish-Sniffer type angler, the new clips would be great.  To me, not so much... 

I have shown a photo of the good and the bad and ugly clips side-by-side.

I want to buy the GOOD ONES but am unsure if I can get them anymore even from the bloke, Norman in the UK who invented them.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tactical anglers are close but no cigar as they too have their own unique issues of susceptibility... 

Thanks SOL-brothers,

Mark

breakawayrealandfake.jpg

Edited by chrome sweet chrome

TA clips have never failed me. The 25#, I think that's the smallest, do make me hesitate at times bec they seem to open a bit just from swapping a few plugs. The larger sizes, I have had zero issues with any of them. But I'm not into multiple "50lb stripers..." either. Good luck finding Norman. 

It's not like I'm yankin' on 50lb stripers all the time either lol.. .I'm a west coaster,  In 45 years of striper fishing in California, I've landed 6 fish 50# or slightly better but hundreds in the 30-45# class.  The problem with the separation of the TA clips is more related to use and plug swapping than fish thrashing.  I have gone back to the TA clips but I like a stealthy presentation so use the smaller ones and because of their smaller size and thicker metal, they don't have the optimal clearance required to quickly snap a jig head on and off.  The old Breakaways were awesome.  I will continue using the TA clips until I find the old Breakaways or something better.  Hell, maybe I'll engineer a clip to my personal specs...  Thanks for the reply :)

Just busting balls man (on the 50s). I agree 100% with what you've said about the TAs. The small clips start to open from swapping plugs, not fish thrashing. The bigger TAs don't have the same issue. But, as you mentioned, they aren't so friendly when trying to get the clip through a jig tie. I have yet to try them and I don't expect them to perform better than the TAs, but over the winter I picked up a bag of the new clips from Spro. They are black so you've got stealth but again, I've yet to tie one on nevermind get into fish of any size with them. Think they were $5 for 20-25 or so. I was about to say it can't hurt to give em a try....but it may hurt badly if one opens up at an inoportune time. 

When I typed “Try Veals” , I meant that Veals has the elusive Breakaways that you can’t find. 

5 hours ago, chrome sweet chrome said:

Sorry to hear it because they are crap.

Agreed. They are garbage. I bought a pack and just ended up throwing them out. 

Seaspin Jack clips are even better than Breakaway, but they're hard to find. They're Italian.

(Someone's selling them on Ebay but he hasn't been very cooperative when asked about the shipping cost.) 

If anyone knows where Seaspin clips can be bought, I'd like to know. 

IMG_20200520_000137.jpg

I've been using the black ones for a year, and I actually like them. Alittle softer so I find they are easier to get on a plug. I have caught hundreds of bass and not once has one failed. I barely ever swap them out. 

On 5/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, chrome sweet chrome said:

Hello fellow striper junkies.

I am looking for some help here to figure if the ORIGINAL BREAKAWAY SL-2 SPIN LINK CLIPS are now a thing of the past.

I used to be able to get them online through eBay or at Saltwater Edge back east but now it seems that the patent has been copied and/or shared by a guy in Texas who took the original clip and had it made in China out of inferior materials.  The original clip was solid and strong and without issue when it came to plug and jig swapping.  The new style however, is a nightmare and has cost me a couple of plugs and 50lb stripers... 

I bought a 100 pack from (Nickaway from Breakaway USA) this year on Amazon and he said they were exactly the same but powder-coated black.  He lied to me over the phone and I'm pissed about eating the 100 pack of worthless SL-2 clips he sold me.

The metal is NOT the same.  It is a cheaper softer steel.   The powder coating comes off and becomes a sand-like grit which rubs/abraids my mono shock leader, and worst of all, the bend in the clip that goes through the eye of a jig or plug is slightly shorter and at a different angle and the width of the clip and therefore the space inside the clip is much narrower than the old style clip so there is less room for the eye of a hook or jighead or plug to insert to.  breakawayrealandfake.jpg.f3af95c5cd81948e9e1270af7664b7a9.jpgThis makes swapping plugs (and especially Redfish Magic Strike King jig heads) an absolute nightmare.

The good ones were a shiny stainless steel and the new ones are a bronzed nickel or other inferior metal covered up with the 'new and improved my ass...' black powder coating.

I'm sure all of these so-called improvements are reduction adjustments to save production costs and increase profits.... just like manufacturing in China instead of the USA (or England in this case) It is no wonder China owns our country :( (political rant over)

I talked with another member on here who experienced the same thing so I'm not dreaming this S#!^ up.

To the casual Fish-Sniffer type angler, the new clips would be great.  To me, not so much... 

I have shown a photo of the good and the bad and ugly clips side-by-side.

I want to buy the GOOD ONES but am unsure if I can get them anymore even from the bloke, Norman in the UK who invented them.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tactical anglers are close but no cigar as they too have their own unique issues of susceptibility... 

Thanks SOL-brothers,

Mark

breakawayrealandfake.jpg

Just curious, the Spin Links (SL2) are only 50# test while the Fast Links (FL1) are 80# test. When you lost the 50# fish on the SL2 did the clip bend or break or did your leader get worn through. I've always used the FL1 when hoping for larger fish or in current. I've only used the SL2 for schoolies and I never felt comfortable with them.

I agree there is some variation in the coatings I've seen on them but I've never had one break on me. Below is a pic of the FL1 from the BreakAway USA Website. They look like the original and say "Quenched Stainless" as opposed to powder coated. I'm not sure what advantage powder coating would provide to stainless steel but quenching can make them harder. They don't have a picture of the SL2's on their site any longer.

As for TA clips, I hate the 75# ones. They are very hard to change plugs and they quickly bend to the point where you can't get a plug on without bending them back to shape. The 125# ones are easier to change plugs but are too big and they also eventually bend. I've had the best luck with the 50# ones keeping their shape but wouldn't trust them on big fish.

Fast Links.PNG