fishfood

Deck on slab

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm gonna put a composite deck over my concrete slab, once I address a few puddling issues.   I have about 5" of space to the door thresholds to work with so height shouldn't be an issue.  Gilbey's recent deck project inspired me to do use a double picture frame look.

Seems like standard way to do this is putting 2x4 sleepers on their long edge with PVC spacers, like the picture below.  Easy enough.  What do you think my best bet is for supporting the picture frame on the sides?  Normal blocking seems awkward due to 2x4s sitting on their long edge, although I guess I could use 4" or longer screws.  Or could I just plop down 2x12" for the side sleepers an call it a day?   Is a 2x12 any more or less likely to want to warp than some blocked 2x4s?   

One other thought I had was to save a few trees and rip a bunch of 2x4s in half, so I would lay the sleepers on their 1.5" side and treat the more like normal joists.   Whichever setup I decide, my plan is to using a hammer drill and tapcon screws to secure to the slab, unless someone has a better suggestion.  

Thanks in advance for any insight.

sleepers.jpg.50658d88f869ec03d7e450e03cbee295.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

If ya like that design, I would nail a 2 x 4 on edge to a 2 x 4 sleeper, and use 1/4" pvc spacers @ 12" o.c. 

That plus a 5/4" decking will get you to about 4 3/4" off the slab. 

Better to come as close as you can to floor level, than to create that tripping hazard. Hate them things. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

That's a good point, but I'd like to keep the added height to 3-3.25".  The slab is 20" above grade and I want to deck level below 23.25 for 3 steps down at <7.75" risers

1 hour ago, fishfood said:

That's a good point, but I'd like to keep the added height to 3-3.25".  The slab is 20" above grade and I want to deck level below 23.25 for 3 steps down at <7.75" risers

Well, that's easy enough to lay out and "spear" the lower half of the "joists" to make it all work out.

Trippers just suck.

2 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Well, that's easy enough to lay out and "spear" the lower half of the "joists" to make it all work out.

Trippers just suck.

I honestly don't think the current step up from the deck ever even registered with me as a trip hazard or annoyance.  Is it the smaller 1-2" steps that trip people up, cause they don't see it?  Or you just like decks level with floors?   Out of curiosity, if you were raising the level here, what would you be aiming to get level with?   I probably misspoke when I said 5" to the threshold...it's actually 5" to the top of that brick, and then another 1.5" to the threshold.  But in my mind I just needed to keep it below the brick. 

(I'm not sure which prior owner was the sadist that painted the concrete that pinkish-tan color....but I've been grinding it off the past few days and am not having a great time) 

IMG_2193.jpg.bad746eb4aa3c91be6a426139d71dd47.jpg

25 mins ago, fishfood said:

I honestly don't think the current step up from the deck ever even registered with me as a trip hazard or annoyance.  Is it the smaller 1-2" steps that trip people up, cause they don't see it?  Or you just like decks level with floors?   Out of curiosity, if you were raising the level here, what would you be aiming to get level with?   I probably misspoke when I said 5" to the threshold...it's actually 5" to the top of that brick, and then another 1.5" to the threshold.  But in my mind I just needed to keep it below the brick. 

Any change in floor elevation that is either small enough or hidden from the eye enough to cause a stumble is a potential lawsuit in this world.

They are all, NFG.

Even when they are obvious to some folks, many others cant see/dont care to look.

I don't like "trippers" as a person. Much less as a contractor. In that case it would show a lack of skill/creativity. Or of care. I don't abide either of those much at all. 

I would make my deck come up flush to the top of that door sill ( after I painted it ;) ) if it was me.  However a picture frame best works. 

You don't like my unpainted sill?  haha.  Both doors and the kitchen window that open to that deck are in terrible shape (rotting, drafty) and all are getting replaced this summer.  

8 hours ago, fishfood said:

You don't like my unpainted sill?  haha.  Both doors and the kitchen window that open to that deck are in terrible shape (rotting, drafty) and all are getting replaced this summer.  

I like it fine. It's PT and looks done well. :) Just needs paint.

I would rip down and glue/secure whatever sized 2 x material you need to make the smooth transition and match up the top of the deck boards with the top of the  "newly painted" door sill. Looks like 3/4" + a bit from the picture. 

After the sill is painted, of course.....