Ocg_89

Century The Weapon 9'6"

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just looking for some info and reviews of anyone who has this rod, specifically the 9'6" version as I haven't found much on this model. Is it fast or moderate? i'm looking to use it for 5/8-2oz lures with my vsx150 on the beach. Any input from anyone who has this rod or knows about it, I'd appreciate it. 

OCG,

I have this rod. It is mod/fast at the tip (I think they call it Fast), but will bend DEEEEP with a fish. It is insanely light. It is sensitive. It is thin. I do not fly fish, but in my mind, this is as close as I can get with a spinner. It is best suited for light-medium lures that don't exhibit heavy drag on the lure (for me, I don't like when lure resistance bends the tip of the rod on basic retrieve). Super easy to cast and get distance. Can throw it's weight. But think of this as a "light" class rod that can handle large fish. I grab this rod first, whenever I can. It is insanely fun with a fish on. If I have to throw bucktails in the ocean with some wind, or a bottleplug, or full size darter, I will grab my other rod. Light diamond jigs, small-med poppers, twitch baits, light shads, mag darter/sp minnow - I use the Weapon. There is no doubt, this is a high end rod. I use a VR50 with it. When I grab my other rods, they feel like boat anchors.

This rod is great, I have a longer version. Tip is soft so it's better with twitch baits and swimbaits. It's less good for popper since it's soft tip. The rod bends well and can cast very far in the wind. My 12 ft weights about 10 oz all together. So the blank itself is very lightweight. Fairly strong rod, I climb down on a jetty and bumped it a few time on the rocks and it didn't show any damage for a fairly thin rod. 

BTW - A couple of things I keep discovering with Century Rods:

1. Casting Results have more to do with technique than power; once this is understood, casts are effortless

2. The full appreciation for the rod will not be understood until once you start putting fish on it. That's when you can feel the rod's capabilities/sensitivity. This is also where it clicked about how rods really are different.

Thank you guys, ive come to to conclusion that i need a rod with a higher rating just in case, this rod sounds great if i could buy 2 9’ rods but for now i think a 3/4-4 type rod would suit my needs a little better, im stuck between the 9’ odm evolution 1/2-4 and the 9’ century surfmachine 3/4-4. 

Good luck Ocg. Since these posts, I have been able to challenge the Weapon 9'6 with a 18lb Bluefish. Two thumbs up. Very happy with this Rod. 

I have a 9'6" weapon and a 9' surfmachine.  Two very different rods for different situations.  As far as light tackle finesse fishing goes you will not find a nicer rod on the market than the weapon.  Its an absolute blast to fish and makes fighting those early spring late fall schoolies fun.  I've even had the chance to land a nice 14- 15 pound blue and a couple albies on it this fall. Favorite rod I own, even brought a 7' version for boat fishing.

My surfmachine is a great rod throwing jigs to sps to 3 oz metal lips. Its probably a touch faster in the tip than I am use to but it really helps it excel in casting distance.  

Cant speak on the odm.  Not really a fan of their products but people love them. different strokes for different folks 

31 mins ago, Ron Skinner said:

I have a 9'6" weapon and a 9' surfmachine.  Two very different rods for different situations.  As far as light tackle finesse fishing goes you will not find a nicer rod on the market than the weapon.  Its an absolute blast to fish and makes fighting those early spring late fall schoolies fun.  I've even had the chance to land a nice 14- 15 pound blue and a couple albies on it this fall. Favorite rod I own, even brought a 7' version for boat fishing.

My surfmachine is a great rod throwing jigs to sps to 3 oz metal lips. Its probably a touch faster in the tip than I am use to but it really helps it excel in casting distance.  

Cant speak on the odm.  Not really a fan of their products but people love them. different strokes for different folks 

Perfect guy to talk go, how does the SUrfMachine handle the lighter end of the spectrum? I will be throwing down to 5/8oz minnow lures up to 2oz mickeys? And what rods do you have each paired with? I have a vsx150 destined to live on whatever rod i get.

i have a 9.6 century and love it, is has balls for fighting fish and casts so no nice mine is graphium  slingshot thingie  3/4 to 3 1/2 i believe, i ferget the model numba

2 pc rod  , i wish it was 1 pc and have been thinking about glueing all my century rods together.

I really like these rods, and have 2 centurys so far

I own a 9’ surf machine and I love that rod ,couldn’t be happier  . I’ve tested the 7’6 weapon jr and it’s an unbelievable rod that I’ll be getting soon for albies, bonito and fluke . Idk about the bigger models but I bet they’re great as well . I’m not familiar with odm only tested the 9’ dna for a little bit and wasn’t a fan . Didn’t cast that great compared to the surf machine but the surf machine is also double the price So it’s not really a fair comparison. I’m sure they’re higher end models are also great rod 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:20 PM, Ocg_89 said:

Perfect guy to talk go, how does the SUrfMachine handle the lighter end of the spectrum? I will be throwing down to 5/8oz minnow lures up to 2oz mickeys? And what rods do you have each paired with? I have a vsx150 destined to live on whatever rod i get.

Surfmachine handles the lighter stuff better than expected.  5/8 oz is probably a bit too light though,  I would be fishing the weapon in that situation.  Would say it loves 1oz - 3oz but have thrown as little as 3/4 and its gotten it out there.  I fish it with a 5k certate or a 150 vsx both pair perfectly on it. 

I have the 9.6 Century Sling Shot - throws down .75 oz fine but sounds like it might be another option for ya 

it can throw a 1 oz plug or something heavier in current - landed fish to 30 lbs on this season 

my one beef is the seat - my vsx150 does not fit in it but my vr150 does so that’s what I’m using 

I may have my rod guy swap it out over the winter