Archie

Regal Vise Stem Diameter

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,  I just ordered a Regal Big Game Vise and Pedestal Stem from Bear's Den.  I'm a bit of a woodworker so while I'm waiting on the Vise to arrive I'm planning on making a base out of some live edge wood I have laying around. I need to manufacture a clamp to attach the stem to the base but I'm not sure what diameter the rod is for the post.  

Does anyone know the diameter of the the stem, or could any of the Regal owners out there measure theirs for me?

Thanks, Archie 

Thanks  KidDkivahh,   I looked at the regal website, no info there and emailed them but they have yet to get back to me.  It seems that 3/8 is standard for stems.  Thanks for confirming 3/8 for me.

Archie 

I have a 20yr old Regal Medallion. Unfortunately I don't have calipers to do a precise measuring but using a ruler, I come to 7/16. May I suggest that you contact Regal directly (assuming they're not closed). Their website states that they normally answer queries within 48 hours.

Hey Suave,  thanks for checking that out for me.  Yeah,  I did email Regal but they haven’t gotten back to me yet,  and I’ve spent a while searching the web with no luck.  I’m going to make the base and wait for a definitive answer or the the stem to arrive before I make the stem clamp.  

I have a 25+ yr old Regal and the shaft is 3/8".In 1995 I bought a replacement shaft from Rainy flies[marketed by Cabellas] called a "vice-device" that converted the Regal to full rotary.That's also 3/8".A newer Dyna-King Trekker is also 3/8" and an old old Thompson and yep! 3/8" all measured with a caliper.

I dare say it's really a safe bet any vise you run across will have a 3/8 stem. Both my renzetties griffen's, thompson and regal all do. 

Thanks so much guys, I'm  creating a mock up right now for the base stem clamp with a 3/8 ID,  from what you all are saying it seems safe to assume it has a 3/8 OD stem.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Archie,just a thought, what if you were to install a threaded insert into the wood and thread the post.Maybe epoxy it in the top, or counter sink a flanged one from underneath? Check out Mcmaster Carr, they have stuff you can use for that application.

Or an unthreaded spacer of appropriate i.d and long enough to have enough bearing in the wood and enough above the surface so you could have a set screw there to keep it from spinning. Grind a small flat on the post where it meets the set screw.

Edited by tonymo
add comment