gellfex

Spring coil hose vs expanding hose?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Need a new hose, been using 50' spring coil ones for years. Not perfect, they kink easily, but easier to handle than coiling down a regular hose in a reel ( and those spinning fittings always fail & leak) or trying to hang it on a hook after watering or washing something. The expanding ones seem popular, but with a 50' you still have a 17' hose to screw with, and it apparently takes a while to shrink down after use too. Any opinions?

Posted (edited) · Report post

My ol' lady swears by the expanding ones. She buys new ones every year, because they only last a year. They wear rub holes real quick. Yeah plus ya gotta leave it all laid out when yer done watering, go back to the spigot and shut it off, then go back to the nozzle and open it up so it all shrivels up like a limp dick so it can be put away.

Garbage to me, but it's way easier on her than wrassling the 1 1/4" line I keep in the back for what I need on the dock. It's a wash in my house, pardon the pun.

Edited by Ben Lippen

37 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

My ol' lady swears by the expanding ones. She buys new ones every year, because they only last a year. They wear rub holes real quick. Yeah plus ya gotta leave it all laid out when yer done watering, go back to the spigot and shut it off, then go back to the nozzle and open it up so it all shrivels up like a limp dick so it can be put away.

Garbage to me, but it's way easier on her than wrassling the 1 1/4" line I keep in the back for what I need on the dock. It's a wash in my house, pardon the pun.

Wow, 1 year? That makes the coiled ones a no brainer.

l'm on my 3rd year with the expanding type 3/4 x 50ft heave duty out webing and with brass ends it's dragged all around my yard buy a good one my was $29.99 Boscov, are you working in a small area?   l have work 40 years with coil hoses once you kink it at one or two coils it will always collapse in the same spot.

lf l buy the cheap hose the green one with thin webbing plastic ends one year 1/2 x 50.

I and some family members also had the expanding ones go after about a year.  Nice and lightweight but not  durable.  Both some lightweight ones and a heavy duty version with the brass ends.