Rob greenpond

Waders —stocking foot or boot foot types?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

I use both I find that my stocking foot waders are not so good in the surf sand always gets in my boots n weighs me down so now I use waders with boots attached for the surf n when I go to rivers or flats meaning the Bay Area where waves aren’t  always crushing I use stocking foot waders. I had back surgery 6 years ago so I try to make it easier for me with what I carry weight wise n find that the stocking foot always fills wit sand even when you have gravel guards on.. 

4 hours ago, e_williams973 said:

How necessary are cleats on the jetties? Better to just wear an over shoe?

If your jetty of choice has flat and dry rocks that you'll always be standing on, probably dont need spikes. On flat dry rocks, korkers can sometimes be less stable than a full contact sole. My experience is these magical flat dry jetties are somewhat few and far between.

But if there's any rocks at all with slime on them, I'd always go for the cleats. Without steel spike into slimy rock, you're gambling, and essentially standing on slick lubricant.

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, rst3 said:

If your jetty of choice has flat and dry rocks that you'll always be standing on, probably dont need spikes. On flat dry rocks, korkers can sometimes be less stable than a full contact sole. My experience is these magical flat dry jetties are somewhat few and far between.

But if there's any rocks at all with slime on them, I'd always go for the cleats. Without steel spike into slimy rock, you're gambling, and essentially standing on slick lubricant.

Saw someone get fished out of eastern point jetty (dogfish bar). They had gone out in sneakers with waves going over the jetty. Should of been wearing korkers and been tethered down ha. First year I’ve ever bought Korkers, usually do the screw in carbide spikes but went with the greenbacks. Most comfortable wading boot I’ve ever owned. Also found it useful to have an extra set of soles when wading beaches or rivers, no need for the spikes. They do seem to run incredibly small as I usually wear a 10/10.5 and had to get a 12. The first order I ordered an 11 and they got perfect without wearing waders. So I kept them and ordered a 12. Will use the 11s for wet wading. 

Edited by Reed422

15 hours ago, Reed422 said:

Saw someone get fished out of eastern point jetty (dogfish bar). They had gone out in sneakers with waves going over the jetty. Should of been wearing korkers and been tethered down ha. 

In my younger and much stupider days, I often fished a jetty that had these thick iron posts with closed off "eyes" at their tops. This jetty regularly took greenwater over the rocks up to your knees(or worse) on either side of high. Had to constantly hold on to these posts during the overwash to keep my footing.

Solution! Thought about rigging up a line from myself to a post.. you know, so if a huge wave blew me off the rocks and into the channel, I wouldn't get swept out to sea to become "crab buffet delite".

How I never drowned as a youthful surfcaster is one of the great mysteries of our time.

Reading about stocking foot having problems with sand and grit getting under the foot with various boots and shoes and creating a leak.

I wanted to ask is this still a problem with thick neoprene socks 4mm thick.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:12 PM, StriperC said:

I use both I find that my stocking foot waders are not so good in the surf sand always gets in my boots n weighs me down so now I use waders with boots attached for the surf n when I go to rivers or flats meaning the Bay Area where waves aren’t  always crushing I use stocking foot waders. I had back surgery 6 years ago so I try to make it easier for me with what I carry weight wise n find that the stocking foot always fills wit sand even when you have gravel guards on.. 

I'm with you.  I had boot foot LL Beans a few years back and really liked them for the reason you suggested, no sand in the shoe.  They leaked and I decided to upgrade to a "better" wader but to keep the cost down I went with Sock Foot waders.  I really regret that now.  It's ok on the bays but man in the surf it's really a pain in the neck.  Sometimes I get so much sand in my boot that I have to remove them and clean them out.  Just a pain in the neck really.