makorider

I need a book suggestion

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

54 mins ago, Mangomania said:

Dreams from My Father will make those chores seem like a joy :D

Berenson, the John Wells series.

OK now we're talking.  That looks good.

Was looking for something light for beach reading.

Belmo you never dissappoint, if only we could place bets on you...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nimitz Class by Patrick Robinson. Won't be able to put it down. FANTASTIC READ.

Would make an incredible movie but I think they would be afraid to touch it.

Edited by DoorGunner

Maybe start by saying what you like to read, like sci-fi, drama, mystery, kids books, how-to-for-dummies. touchy-feely chick books, anything recommended by Oprah....

If you just want to get a rise out of the wife, get titles like "divorce for dummies", "How to get away with tax evasion", "How to create the perfect dutch oven". "My mother-in-law is missing, who did it?"...

12 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Maybe start by saying what you like to read, like sci-fi, drama, mystery, kids books, how-to-for-dummies. touchy-feely chick books, anything recommended by Oprah....

If you just want to get a rise out of the wife, get titles like "divorce for dummies", "How to get away with tax evasion", "How to create the perfect dutch oven". "My mother-in-law is missing, who did it?"...

I thought I did in my OP?

Looking for something Tom Clancyish/Jason Bourne.  Beach reading, nothing too serious

Wish I had something to offer, but I'm more of a sci-fi fan. A few of my favorites are Heinlein and Asimov.

I've got a crate of books, mostly paperbacks, that I keep for those times when I need "something to read".

Hatteras Blues - Tom Carlson

The story of Ernal Foster and the Foster family of Hatteras Village, who gave birth to what would become the multi-million dollar charter fishing industry on the Outer Banks.

Wolf of the Deep - Stephen Fox 

The lethal campaign waged by a single elusive Confederate privateer that nearly destroyed Northern shipping (CSS Alabama). 

If you like Game of Thrones type stuff the Malazan series by Steven Ericson is by far the best. W.E.B. Griffin is great also. Wilbur Smith has a awesome series of19th and 20th century Africa.

5 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

Ulysses Unabridged

Joyce is gibberish. Nobody likes that nonsense -- the only reason people say they like it is so they can try to seem smart to people who are too dumb to know that Joyce was full of ****. He was so full of **** that he makes Wayne look like Honest John. :dismay:

Jimmy Joyce's prose is inscrutable. He makes 7numbers look like William Faulkner. :dismay:

Read   One Second After   then   One Year After  , they will get you thinking 

In The Heart Of The Sea - Philbrick

Frankenstein - Mary Shelly = VERY good. 

11/23/63 by Stephen King

Cannery Row by Steinbeck

32 mins ago, Farflung said:

any of the Micheners. I  especially liked Chesapeake, Texas, Alaska, Hawaii, Tales of the South Pacific, and Centennial

I used to enjoy "Michener's" novels (he actually had a paid staff to do most of the work for him). My favorite was probably Space, with Chesapeake a close second just because I live in the area.

When I grew up I realized his novels are the literary equivalent of Hallmark Channel movies. Okay if you're into that though.