psheridanrossi

DIY Rod Pod - Question

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

For the last two years I have been storing my rods in a 6-inch diameter PVC rod pod that fits and hangs under the rail in my truck bed.  I put in some jewelry box adhesive velvet along the inside of the pipe and used corrugated plastic to create 4 sections for each broken down surf rod.  I mistakenly cut the original pipe 2 inches short to fit a 10.6 broken down rod so I am looking to upgrade my PVC pipe.  I had used sch 40 for the original but would love to shed some of the weight and gain a bit more space internally.   

I have called many Boston area building supply and hardware stores and have struck out.  Was hoping to crowd source this, does anyone know where I can find a 10-foot section of 6-inch diameter sch 20 pvc piping? This is the thin wall PVC pipe that is often used for irrigation, drain piping and central vac tubing.

1 min ago, psheridanrossi said:

For the last two years I have been storing my rods in a 6-inch diameter PVC rod pod that fits and hangs under the rail in my truck bed.  I put in some jewelry box adhesive velvet along the inside of the pipe and used corrugated plastic to create 4 sections for each broken down surf rod.  I mistakenly cut the original pipe 2 inches short to fit a 10.6 broken down rod so I am looking to upgrade my PVC pipe.  I had used sch 40 for the original but would love to shed some of the weight and gain a bit more space internally.   

I have called many Boston area building supply and hardware stores and have struck out.  Was hoping to crowd source this, does anyone know where I can find a 10-foot section of 6-inch diameter sch 20 pvc piping? This is the thin wall PVC pipe that is often used for irrigation, drain piping and central vac tubing.

6' is going to be hard to find.  Check with some electrical supply houses for 6' electrical conduit. or build or have built a wooden box to match your needs...……..

2 mins ago, stinky1 said:

Look up Putnam Pipe. Multiple locations. Pick your closest. You will likely need to by a 20' stick though.

Thanks, will do, I am only going to need 6 feet so if anyone is looking to get into the rod pod game and wants a piece, just give a shout by PM. 

15 hours ago, psheridanrossi said:

I have a conduit tube locking cap for a 6 in pipe that I use with a wire cable to secure through the lock to the truck bed so staying at 6 inchs is prefered. 

The chances of finding sch 20 is gonna be slim.  The 6" sewer /drainage is called something different.  Need to research it or go to a E J Prescott and ask the guys what they have.

48 mins ago, Corpslave said:

The chances of finding sch 20 is gonna be slim.  The 6" sewer /drainage is called something different.  Need to research it or go to a E J Prescott and ask the guys what they have.

Another option would be SDR 35 sewer pipe, that the green pipe you see the only thing being I do not believe it is UV stable...………….

On 5/12/2020 at 5:28 PM, stinky1 said:

Look up Putnam Pipe. Multiple locations. Pick your closest. You will likely need to by a 20' stick though.

Finally got a chance to go by,  thought folks maybe interested in the finished product. Huge upgrade. Broken 12 footers fit inside now and it’s a fraction of the total weight. 

10E2B9F5-3D57-445F-90B3-EC7025269C91.jpeg